Fanfic / War of the Biju
War of the Biju: The Fourth Shinobi World War
is a Alternate Universe fanfiction of what had happened right after the Invasion of Pain in Naruto
. Instead of Danzo Shimura
being named the Candidate Rokudaime Hokage by the Daimyo, Shikaku Nara quickly nominates the hero of the village, Naruto Uzumaki to be Hokage. Realizing that at this point if he uses his Kotoamatsukami
to force the Daimyo to make him Hokage anyway after he liked how Naruto described, Danzo lets it happen, biding his time till he can take the Hokageship
. Thus the fanfic goes into the Five Kage Summit arc with Naruto being Hokage, characters like Neji getting the spotlight (fighting evenly with Sasuke until he breaks out the Mangekyo Sharingan) and even making Taka useful (nearly taking down Kakashi with teamwork). Naruto and Sasuke (who rapidly matures his Mangekyo) fight, and Naruto defeats his full Susano'o
with a Rasenshuriken
. Just as he's about to capture the defeated Uchiha...'Madara' arrives and takes Sasuke away to be healed as well as Taka.
Notable for giving female Naruto characters the limelight and making them stronger, and has plans of making all the Rookies have notable fights in the War.
It's compared to The Hokage's Will
in the beginning, since it was inspired by it.
Tropes this fic displays::
- Action Girl:
- All the female Naruto characters get to be this in some way or another. Hinata being one in recent chapters due to being Naruto's love interest, even awakening a higher level of the Byakugan. Sakura gets training from Kakashi to make her a more solid Combat Medic. And even Karin is able to form a plan and nearly kill Kakashi with a special trap.
- Sakura defeats Pakura, who is in this continuity a former Godaime Kazekage candidate, Ameyuri Ringo, and with Kakashi's and Monga's help she defeats the fully transformed Yondaime Mizukage Yagura herself!
- A Day in the Limelight: Neji was the first. All the Rookies will get similar days of limelight during the War.
- Adaptational Badass:
- The Konoha 11 are way more badass in this fic than they're in canon. While only Neji has the rank, all of them have Jonin level of skill and power (and in case of Sakura, Kage level).
- Besides the "sharingarm" and Senju DNA, Danzo also has a Rinnegan that his minions collected from one of Pain's corpses.
- Adaptation Expansion:
- The only fight that hadn't been expanded on was The Raikage vs Sasuke. Notable in the Nine-Tails Attack on Konoha...where Hiruzen, kid Yamato, Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and teenagers Kakashi and Gai all get to fight Kyuubi. Word of God says the War will be a month instead of a couple days.
- Also, the Gold and Silver Brothers are given a rather extensive backstory, which detail their Start of Darkness.
- The expansion goes so far that some people start switching opponents. Naruto fought the Sandaime Raikage in canon. He still fights him, but he also fights the Nidaime Mizukage as well. Gaara and Onoki, who fought the latter in canon, instead fight the Nidaime Raikage.
- Adaptational Heroism:
- Obito died before he could ever make a Face–Heel Turn, making him this trope.
- Karin Heel–Face Turn sticks, and she soundly rejects Sasuke after he goes off the deep end.
- Sasuke himself makes his Heel–Face Turn far earlier than he did in canon.
- Alternate Universe: Thanks to a combination of Retcons, Continuity Drift, Acceptable Breaks from Canon, and For Want of a Nail. The most significant change is that there was a subset of the Uchiha Clan, comprised from families that refused to join the main clan and Konoha at its founding. Madara joined this subset after his defeat at the battle of the Valley of the End, and Tobi is (supposedly) descended from them as well.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Boy does Naruto show he deserves the Hokage post by beating Sasuke, breaking 'Madara's' mask, and defeating Kyubi in one on one combat.
- Arranged Marriage: It's revealed that Fugaku intended to an arrange one between Sasuke and Hinata. He was killed before it ever came to fruition.
- Bash Brothers: As the two youngest Kages at the Summit and best friends in their own right, Naruto and Gaara had this dynamic both during the meeting when all five started arguing among one another and when Sasuke attacked.
- Berserk Button:
- The Edo Tensei pisses off the main cast even more so than it does in canon, as Kabuto goes as far as to revive famous shinobi who died during the war. Both Hinata and Choji are understandably unhappy when they're forced to fight their recently deceased fathers.
- Kakashi's button is pressed hard when Kabuto revives an artificially aged up Obito to fight him, and is only pressed harder when he realizes that the eye Tobi has been using is his best friend's.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Like in canon, we have Tobi and Kabuto in a paper thin alliance, with both of them waiting the chance to betray the other. Orochimaru later decides to join the fray for his own reasons.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- Tobi is about to kill Konan, while the Nanabi is rampaging and destroying her village. Cue Tsunade and Gaara crashing the party to save the day.
- After his location is discovered, Naruto sends clone to every single battlefield and turns the tide immediately.
- Broken Aesop:
- Unlike the manga, averted. Besides giving them a A Day in the Limelight, the Konoha 11 fighting and winning against the past legendary ninja resurrected by Kabuto showcases the "new generation surpassing the old" theme that the manga tried (and failed) to deliver.
- Tobi not being Obito fixes the Broken Aesop that plagued the series regarding Kakashi's decision to not let him die facing the Iwa shinobi alone during Kakashi Gaiden.
- Brother–Sister Team: Neji and Hinata, even though they're (technically) first cousinsnote .
- Calling the Old Man Out: Unlike in canon, Gaara is much harsher on his father after learning the truth about Karura and Yashamaru. Rather than bursting into Manly Tears, he chides Rasa for being a terrible father and Kage — but, in the end, still forgives him, telling the Fourth Kazekage to take that as his one comfort when he returns to the Pure World.
- Clothing Damage: Naruto's jacket and shirt are damaged by Sasuke's Susano'o arrow, and Hinata's coat and mesh shirt are torn open by Kabuto when she tries fighting him.
- Combat Pragmatist: Danzo has the Sharingarm like in canon, but added Nagato's Pain Path eyes to give him Animal Path's powers, Human Path's, and eventually Asura Path's.
- Continuity Drift: This story was published years before the manga ended in late 2014 and the anime ended in 2017. As a result, there is some minor continuity drift. The most notable is the issue of Tobi's identity: when Naruto broke Tobi's mask at the Kage Summit, the narrative blatantly states those present saw Madara's aged face. After the manga confirmed that the real Madara had been dead for years and that Tobi wasn't him, the story retconned it so it was obvious War of the Biju!Tobi wasn't Madara as well. Though, Not His Sled kicks in when it's revealed that Tobi isn't his canon identity Obito either.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Sasuke's Final Susano'o vs Naruto's Senjutsu-enhanced Futon: Rasenshuriken. Rasenshuriken wins.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- During the attack on Konoha, Tsunade No Sells all of Sasori's poisons and absolutely crushes him in direct combat.
- Gaara's fight with his father is even more one-sided than it was in canon, as Rasa is caught absolutely flat-footed when Gaara goes in for close-quarters combat.
- Day in the Limelight: All the Konoha 11 gets it in the War Arc, each showing how far they've came by fighting elite undead shinobi oftentimes one on one and in Rock Lee's case two on one and win.
- Death by Adaptation: Characters that made it to the end of the war alive bite dust here, such as Hana Inuzuka, Choza Akimichi and Hiashi Hyuuga, among others. Also, in this fanfic Tobi isn't Obito, and the real Obito has been dead for years.
- Declaration of Protection: Right before he departs to the Kage Summit, Naruto makes one to all of Konoha, announcing to the crowd that, from now on, he protects this village.
- Decomposite Character: The fanfic has a case of this in hindsight. Obito Uchiha was long dead before the story started, leaving Tobi as a seperate character.
- Dumbass No More: Post-Time Skip Naruto was nowhere as dumb as he used to be in Part I, but in this fic he is much smarter than even Part II Naruto, most likely as a result of having to take command as Hokage, and then as Supreme Leader of the Allied Forces. For one thing, he's the one to suggest hiding him and Bee away for the first part of the war, since he knows that his inability to control Kurama will make him a liability no matter how strong he is. And when he is discovered, rather than muscling past his guard, he orders them down as their Hokage and uses logic to justify his decision to depart for the battlefield.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted.
- As seen above, Gaara isn't as kind to his father as he was in canon, and his forgiveness is treated more as a Cruel Mercy more than anything else.
- After his Heel–Face Turn, Sakura confesses to Sasuke that while she still loves him, she hasn't forgiven him. If he wants her forgiveness, he has to earn it.
- Enlightenment Superpowers: Hinata awakens her Keihatsu Byakugan after gaining some enlightenment and making peace with her worries over Naruto.
- Fatal Flaw: Kabuto's is his tendency to underestimate his opponents. Throughout the war, he underestimates Naruto, Sakura, Kakashi, Hinata, Bee, and even Edo Tensei!Itachi — someone that he summoned for the war.
- Fighting Your Friend: Everywhere. Thanks to the Edo Tensei, shinobi are unwillingly forced to fight against their deceased comrades, many of whom were close friends and even family of their opponents. Aside from the canon examples, Hinata, Neji, and Choji are all forced to fight their deceased fathers, while Kakashi is forced to fight Obito, who, in this story, never made a Face–Heel Turn.
- Five Man Band: The Five Kage, as the heads of the Allied Shinobi Forces.
- The Hero / The Leader: Naruto, as Hokage. Without Danzo's actions to destroy Konoha's political reputation, Naruto is easily declared the Supreme Leader of the Allied Shinobi Forces, with support from both A and Gaara. When he's forced to enter the battlefield after his location is discovered, not only does he turn the tide of every battle in the war, but also serves as a massive morale booster for the army.
- The Lancer: A and Gaara share this interchangeably. With Naruto hiding on Turtle Island training for the beginning of the war, he installs A in his place to head the alliance until he returns. Gaara is the Regimental Commander, so that means he leads all the ground forces directly, and is also the closest to Naruto besides Tsunade.
- The Smart Guy: Tsunade (by virtue of Shikaku) and Onoki, the most experienced of all of the Five Kage.
- The Big Guy: They all qualify, but in pure physical strength it's a toss up between Onoki and Tsunade, with A a close third.
- The Chick: Mei is the one who deals with matters not directly related to the war effort — such as guarding the Daimyos and aiding Onoki when Turtle Island is attacked by Edo Tensei. Conversely, Gaara could also count as The Heart, since it was him who united the ground forces with his heartfelt, passionate speech.
- Sixth Ranger: Mifune, who is not one of the Five Kage (or even a shinobi, for that matter) but still a head of state that is aiding in the war effort as General of the Fifth Division.
- Flash Step: Minato's, A's, and Naruto's later fighting style.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Shikamaru gains a scar across his face after his and Ino's battle with Edo Tensei!Asuma.
- Heel–Face Turn:
- Karin. Unlike the manga, she doesn't go back to being a Sasuke fangirl after defecting (despite the fact that in this fic Sasuke never attempted to kill her in order to kill Danzo), is actually made part of the Shinobi Alliance Force, and fights alongside Sakura.
- Sasuke makes his earlier than in canon since his fight with Naruto happens right after Naruto fights Edo Tesnei!Nagato with Edo Tensei!Itachi, Bee, and Hinata.
- Kick the Dog: Many of Kabuto's Edo Tensei are set against specific battalions to cause mental anguish to his most prominent enemies. For example, Kakashi is the only one in the alliance who could've stopped Obito, thanks to Kamui — he's also one of the few smart enough to realize that. Kabuto had to have known this, and is smart enough to realize that tactically, sending Obito against him would've been a bad move. He did it anyway just to piss Kakashi off.
- Killed Off for Real: As of right now, Hana Inuzuka, Hiashi Hyuga, Choza Akimichi and Danzo have been killed in the war.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The Inuzuka Clan Head Kiba fights during the Battle of Lightening Ridge, Taitama, reveals right before their battle that he is Kiba's maternal grandfather.
- Lightning Bruiser: A.
- Odd Friendship: Hinata bonds with Kurotsuchi, the granddaughter of Onoki, during their time together on the island turtle. They even fight in the same division together.
- Official Couple: Naruto and Hinata, who get together in the beginning of the story after Nagato/Pein's death.
- One-Man Army: Several characters: All the Kages, Naruto himself, Rock Lee, Sakura, Neji, and even Hinata have shades of it for the heroic side, Kabuto, Tobi, and all resurrected shinobi on the villain side.
- Original Character: Tenko, who is the biological son of Jiraiya and Tsunade after a one night stand, and was raised by the Toads of Mount Myoboku.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: What stuns Rasa during his battle with Gaara and ultimately causes him to lose is seeing his youngest son use close-combat techniques (specifically, kenjutsu/swordsmanship) against him.
- Rank Up:
- Instead of Kakashi or Danzo, Naruto becomes the Sixth Hokage. When Tsunade wakes up, they share the post, with the understanding that Tsunade will formally retire when the war is over.
- Right before the attack on Konoha, it's revealed that Tsunade and Naruto had promoted Konohamaru to Chunin, most likely in recognition of his performance against one of the Paths of Pein.
- After the attack of the Gedo Mazo, Sakura, Choji, Hinata, Ino, Shikamaru and Shino are all promoted to Jonin, both because they earned it and as a morale booster. They also promote Shino and Neji to Proxy General status for the Fifth and Second divisions, respectively.
- Ship Tease:
- Tenko's flirting manages to get a blush out of Sakura. He also has some with Karin.
- Tenten and Neji may or may not have a thing going on.
- Konohamaru and Hanabi clearly feel something for each other, but since they're so young, they don't exactly realize what it is yet.
- Shipper on Deck: All of Konoha has become this for Naruto and Hinata in the wake of the Invasion of Pein.
- Single Tear: Gaara's reaction to learning the truth about Yashamaru and his mother, opposed to the Manly Tears he had in canon.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Unlike in canon, where Sakura became such a Love Martyr for Sasuke that it severely weakened her character and landed her back in The Scrappy heap, when Sasuke makes his Heel–Face Turn, Sakura admits to him that she still loves him but also tells him that he will have to earn her forgiveness and his chance to be with her, if he wants it.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- In contrast to the opposite trope above, some of the characters that died in the manga managed to survive here (so far), such as Danzo (though he does get killed by Sasuke later in the story), Konan and Kisame. Oh, and Kushina is alive too, she has been Tobi's prisoner since the day Naruto was born.
- In this story, since Madara did not designate Obito as his chosen successor, he never orchestrated the events that led to Rin's death. Rin was later saved by Danzo during the Kyuubi attack and was subsequently press-ganged into ROOT as his personal medic.
- So Proud of You:
- Nothing can compare to the sheer pride in Kakashi's eyes as he watches Naruto be fitted for his Hokage robes. He even wonders if this is how Jiraiya felt when his own student, Kakashi's sensei, and Naruto's father Minato became Hokage.
- Many of the Edo Tensei tell their children this after said children manage to defeat them. The most notable being Hiashi, Hizashi, and Choza.
- The Starscream: Just like in canon, Tobi to Madara. In fact, it's even worse than in canon — as Tobi isn't Obito, he lacks whatever Obito had left of his moral fiber. So his betrayal went beyond waiting for Madara to die and hijacking the plan, as he killed an aged Madara himself, along with Obito for his eye.
- Start of Darkness: The Gold and Silver Brothers path of evil started when back in the Warring Clans era, Madara and a few other Uchiha massacred their clan, with them and a few others as their only survivors.
- Super Mode: Besides all the canon examples, Temari has Sage Mode here. The author also mentioned that more characters would learn Sage Mode as well.
- Surpassed the Teacher: All of the Konoha 12 has managed to surpass their respective teachers.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- The entire Konoha 11. For example, Tenten is said to have Jonin level of skill, fights on a Power Armor she built herself, and managed to defeat an Edo Tensei of a Konoha Jonin powerful enough to be considered a candidate for Hokage, all by herself (though she only defeated him the second time they fought). And according to the author, she's the weakest of the group. As the war goes on, it's clear that every single member of the group has managed to surpass their teachers and are on the way to becoming legends.
- The Suna Siblings haven't been slacking off either. As noted above, Temari has mastered Sage Mode, while Gaara has added kenjutsu to his skill set (complete with a katana made out of his sand), meaning he's no longer restricted to mid and long range combat.
- Underestimating Badassery:
- Many of the Edo Tensei zombies to the younger generation. For what it's worth, most are pleased when they're proven wrong. Itachi, for example, is surprised but happy to note that Hinata defeated Kakuzu and is still able to aid in the fight against Nagato.
- Their summoner, Yakushi Kabuto, is by far the worst at this, something even he is forced to acknowledge.
- Undying Loyalty: Itachi to Konoha, as in canon — his last request is to ask Naruto for a mission to end the Edo Tensei, even going as far as addressing him as "Hokage-sama". Even after all this time, he still sees himself as a Konoha shinobi and is willing to bow his head towards a Hokage that is younger than him.
- Worthy Opponent: Several of the Edo Tensei find them among the younger generation they're fighting against, which is an immense relief to them as it means they've left their homes in good hands.
- World's Strongest Man/World's Best Warrior:
- More like generation. Per Word of God, the Konoha 12 are the strongest generation of shinobi in all of ninja history, not just Konoha's. Their weakest member, Tenten, easily qualifies for an elite-jonin rank, while their two strongest, Naruto and Sasuke, are among some of the greatest shinobi to have ever lived.
- It's revealed that Neji surpassed every Hyuuga in the clan about six months before the war started. That makes him the strongest Hyuuga on the battlefield (though Hinata is a close second).
- Sakura has also surpassed Tsunade much earlier than she did in canon, and is now regarded as the greatest medic in all of the Shinobi Alliance.
- After his son defeats him, Rasa declares that Gaara has surpassed both him and his predecessor the Sandaime Kazekage, making him the strongest shinobi Suna has ever produced.
- You Are in Command Now:
- After Tsunade goes into a brief coma, Naruto is declared the Rokudaime Hokage.
- With the deaths of their fathers, Hinata and Choji are now the heads of the Hyuuga and Akimichi clan, respectively.
- When all of the Five Kage are forced onto the battlefield, Nara Shikaku is put in charge of Headquarters, and thus the entire war effort.