The Paprin Family
The lords of the Kingdom of Apropinquandi Montui and a clan of warriors. For the most part they're well respected and beloved by the people. They tend to watch out for one another since being nobility can be dangerous at best. The group theme song is: Vi Ar Dom Tuffaste by Nanne Gronvall.
They provide overall examples of:
- Non-Human Sidekick: Everyone has one in the family.
- Warrior Poet: Everyone
Darnell Aubade Paprin IXPrince of Apropinquandi Montui and third later second in line to the throne. A kind and cheerful young man who fights for his beliefs. He has a soft spot for his friends. But betray him and you won't live long enough to regret it. His Guardian animal is a dragon named Critianos. His theme song is: Odet Var Min Vag by Nordman.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Particularly in the second book.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Kaunis even though he's her younger brother.
- Chick Magnet: Despite not being interested in girls he causes this reaction on several occassions.
- The Determinator: He gains his bloodline weapon though sheer willpower.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ethan in the back story. Then came the Relationship Upgrade.
- Idiot Hair: Has two of them.
- Parental Abandonment: Subverted, his mother came back even though he wasn't out looking for her. Played straight by his father's death.
- Tell Me About My Father: Inverted, he wants to know more about his mother.
- Took a Level in Badass: Used to rely on Ethan to protect him at the start of the story, by the end of the first book he's fighting off the Eldritch Abomination with ease.
- Warrior Therapist: To Svetlana in the third book.
Kaunis Valtameri Paprin IVThe Princess of Apropinquandi Montui and heir to the throne later the Queen. She's a bit flighty especially early on, but she cares deeply for her friends and family, even if she comes off as harsh sometimes. Her Guardian animal is a dolphin named Gizella. Her theme song is: Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: End of the first book.
- Chekhov's Gunman: When she shows up at the party in book 1, it was apparently a real surprise.
- Chosen One: Happens when you're the queen. Becomes a Crowning Moment of Awesome in book 2.
- Even the Girls Want Her: It's shaping up to an Unwanted Harem status...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Really doesn't like Morgan, but still pulls a Big Damn Heroes to save her.
- Love Dodecahedron: She'll most likely end up with either Lazkan, Mortimer, or Morgan.
- Mistaken for Gay: Subverted in that she really is gay but refuses to admit it.
- Noodle Incident: Her ascension to the throne after party. Mentioned once, and ended up leading to Mistaken for Gay.
- Took a Level in Badass: Used to be a nervous princess type, but she steps it up big time.
- Transparent Closet: Some readers keep wondering if she'll ever stop trying to cover it up.
Ethan UlvienneA stern young man in charge of the Royal Army and Knight of the Crown. He's tough on the outside and seems aloof but he's really kind and gentle until danger strikes. Post-marriage his Guardian animal is a wolf named Wolfram. His theme song is: Running with the Wolves by Korpiklaani.
- Aloof Big Brother: Not a brother but definitely the personality of one.
- Badass Normal: Later Empowered Badass Normal
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and eyes
- Death Glare: Mostly how he appears every day, though he does get better about learning to relax it.
- Happily Married: By the end of book one.
- Huge Guy Tiny Other Guy: He's a head taller than Darnell, though the gap eventually closes to a few inches.
- Official Couple: With Darnell
- Our Vampires Are Different and Our Werewolves Are Different
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He could qualify as both, but he's the manly one to Darnell's sensitive.
- The Stoic: Though he's Not So Stoic after all.
The Kendo Team
A ragtag band of kids who really love the sport and want to go to Japan to compete someday. Their theme song is: Raised by the Sword by Ensiferum.
The team overall provides examples of
- Five-Man Band
Morgan KriegerA cheerful teenager with a love of warcraft and freedom. She's torn between her love for her ex and her developing crushes throughout the series. Also the Genbu Demon King Tenoh Paprin and Darnell's twin sister. Her role as Genbu is the progenitor of the world and the founder of the two Demon Kingdoms. Whether this is actually true, only she knows. Her friends all joined up on the kendo team, though we only get to see a few of them. Her theme song is: Fairytale by Alexander Rybak
- Creepy Child + Character Development = Genki Girl
- Cannot Spit It Out: Morgan and Claire. Even Darnell picks up on this as soon as he meets them.
- Cloudcuckoolander: "You know, sometimes I wonder why snails are considered a delicacy, but I really want tempura right now."
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: with most of the team, but especially Claire.
- Insufferable Genius: Most people can't stand her due to Obfusticating Shakespeare
- Lad-ette: She'd drink alcohol if she wasn't underage. Otherwise comes across as a combination of this and Bifauxnen.
- Only a Flesh Wound: She's survived some stuff most humans can't.
- Our Werewolves Are Different and Our Vampires Are Different
- Some Call Me "Tim": "My friends call me Tenoh."
- The Lancer
- Token Evil Teammate
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Causes Viewer Gender Confusion when she and Darnell first meet.
Kristoper KriegerThe resident Team Dad to the team. Self-proclaimed rude and ginger, though the rude bit is up to debate. He acts as Morgan and Claire's legal guardian. He's also the voice of reason when things get out of hand for the rest of the group. Kris is Morgan's biological cousin. His theme song is: 5. Mars by Megaherz
- Aside Glance: He pulls one of these a lot.
- All Just a Dream: What he wanted to believe when he first met Claire.
- Alliterative Name
- Cloudcuckoolander: Actually manages to beat Morgan at this on occasion.
- Fake American: He's developed a decent fake accent to get people to stop bothering him about the fact he's from England.
- Genre Savvy
- Hikikomori: Used to be before Morgan came to live with him
- Only Sane Man
- Team Dad
- Yuri Fan: Openly encourages both Morgan and Claire to get together.
Claire Van RompaThe Heterosexual Life-Partner of Morgan, and her closest friend. Has a serious crush on Morgan, but is perfectly capable of taking care of herself. The top ranked female kendo practitioner in the United States. Actually Tenoh's Guardian animal Sirrush. Her theme song is: Your Guardian Angel by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.
- Awesome Mc Coolname At least one person has said they wished they had Van Rompa as a last name.
- Berserk Button: Threatening Morgan is the fastest way to end up dead around her.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Including Spanish, Russian, Greek, Latin, and Dutch.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: All the times she denies being in love with Morgan, even though we've openly seen them together.
- Straight Gay
- Unusual Euphemism: Half of her metaphors end up being this.
- Yandere: Anyone who gets too close to Morgan without her permission.
Johnny SummersAn old friend of Morgan's and cousin of her ex. Best friends with Eric, Harun and Nero. Lives with his younger sister and attends the same high school as Morgan and Claire. Up until he was seventeen Johnny was the world’s biggest skeptic. Vampires? Crazy people with a blood fetish. Ghosts? Glitches in technology and other perfectly logical explanations. Werewolves? Thieves in wolfskins. However all that changed when he ended up traveling to the Kingdom of Apropinquandi Montui and discovering his the truth about Morgan and Claire. Now three years later, Johnny has ascended to full mage status. However an event known as Nerdpocalypse changed his optimistic world view. Fiancée dead, a year of his life missing, and his best friend snapped, Johnny left his rural college with the hope that he could rebuild in the home he’d always known. His theme song is: Kill Your Heroes by AWOLNATION
- Ascended Extra: Minor character in the first three books, and one of the two protagonists of this year's story.
- Brain Bleach: After what he goes through between the first two books he becomes a tragic user of this.
- Comically Missing the Point: Compares Morgan's love life to Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.
- Took a Level in Badass: He led the counterattack in Nerdpocalypse.
- Those Two Guys: When combined with Eric
- Unfazed Everyman
- Unrequited Love: Towards Kaunis.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Inverted as he's a guy.
Eric CorbettOriginally a member of the kendo team, he found his passion in Lacrosse. Best friends with Johnny, though he was a bit resentful when his friend took up writing. His theme song is: 21 Guns by Green Day
The Four Kings of Canon Immigration
The governing group of five for the Confederation of Demonic Islands, a small chain of islands to the north of Japan. They briefly belonged to Russia in 1895 before being returned to Japan in 1905, but returned to being part of Russia after WWII. After the fall of the Soviet Union they were sold off to France before finally gaining independence. There's more to the story than that. The group theme song is: Wavin' Flag by K'naan
The Four Kings of Canon Immigration provide examples of:
- Animal Motifs:
- Five-Man Band:
- The Four Gods: Named their positions in honor of their Japanese heritage.
Byakko Koryu King Nero ScaevolaThe current head king of the Confederation of Demonic Islands, a small series of islands united as a country somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. He's a real fan of Association Football so much so he only wears the uniforms of teams throughout the ages. He's not above stalking his idols. His role as Byakko is to play the leader and bring wisdom (represented as light) to the people under his rule, unfortunately he's got a lot of growing up to do before he's ready to enlighten anyone. Originated in the fanfic House of Orange as the fan stalking Netherlands. His theme song is: Grow Up by Simple Plan
- Animal Motif: As his title implies he features a lot with tigers, particularly white Siberians.
- Ambiguously Bi: He develops strong feelings for Harun but also flirts with several girls through the story.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's a bit eager to take back the kingdom.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Backfired on Smugsnake but worked on Harun.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Most of the ones he got as a kid.
- Manchild: Loves his action figures as much as he loves his sports.
- Older Than They Look: He's over 100 and proud of it.
- Opposites Attract: He and Harun
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Stalker With a Crush: To Johan Cryuff, the famous Dutch football player from the 1974 World Cup. And Netherlands in House of Orange.
- Took a Level in Badass: Who hasn't on this page?
- Trauma Conga Line: His childhood was not a happy one.
- True Companions: The other kings and Svetlana get pretty close
Seiryu King Harun RappThe overly serious co-king of the Confederation of Demonic Islands. Little is known about the youth in black apart from the fact Harun is best friends with Ace, and both knew Morgan and Claire, he grew up with Ace, Johnny and Nina. His role as Seiryu means he is responsible for the people and the land, which doesn't suit his anti-social personality in the least. He likes his graffiti like he likes his metal, hardcore and beautiful. Before he became King he had a job painting tag murals legally, all while listening to his favorite band Dethklok. Originated in an unfinished story the author wrote based off a Resident Evil dream. Harun's theme song is: Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Leads to a CMoF when pointing out how Ace's Norwegian Curling Pants won't be in style until the Olympics two months from the time of the scene.
- Broken Bird: Comes from the Break the Cutie back story.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards Nero
- Kuudere: Though he's changing into a Defrosting Ice King thanks to Nero and the others.
- Monochromatic Eyes
- My Greatest Failure: Big time with Ace's death.
- Odd Friendship: With pretty much everyone save for Ace
- Only Sane Man: Considering who Harun lives with, it's pretty much Blessed with Suck
- Perpetual Frowner: Never smiled in canon thus far.
- The Rival: To Ace before Defeat Means Friendship
- Will They or Won't They?: With Nero
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Leads to a lot of Harun's issues.
Suzaku King Kamui ValentineThe first character ever created by the author, she also serves as an abusive muse and teacher for most of the cast. She'll never get her own book that will be published because otherwise she'd end up taking over the series. Her best friend is Svetlana, and the two are always in the other's company whenever they're on the same planet. Her role as Suzaku is that of Death and Rebirth, when the time comes, her choice whether to fulfill that role will determine the fate of the universe. Will she destroy it or let it continue on? Originated in the author's first NaNoWriMo a Final Fantasy VII fanfic. Her theme song is: Redemption by Gackt
- The Ace: Both played straight and deconstructed.
- Bokukko: Though she actually uses ore-sama or wagahai which should tell you a lot about her personality.
- Broken Bird: Part of her deconstruction as The Ace.
- Bi the Way
- Crazy Awesome: Considered this In-Universe.
- Chivalrous Pervert: For all of her tendencies, she just can't bring herself to do anything inappropriate to anyone.
- Combat Sadomasochist
- Green Eyes
- Happily Married
- Lady of War
- Lad-ette: Even more so than her apprentice Morgan
- Lonely Together: How her friendship with Svetlana began.
- Trickster Mentor: Towards Morgan, also a bit of Mentor Ship Tease with her.
Svetlana Ivanova Avtaikin aka "Codi"A quiet young lady, she served as The Dragon to the Big Bad of Horizon On Fire, though she acted as a Worthy Opponent to the heroes rather than her position. She pulls a Heel–Face Turn when Smugsnake betrays his plans within earshot. After his defeat she joins up with Nero and crew acting as co-mentor with Kamui, Linda and Fahim along with Only Sane Man. Originated as the nation-tan of Confederation of Demonic Islands. Her theme song is: This Is How A Heart Breaks by Rob Thomas
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted, she has a lot of scars from a rough life that scare off a lot of potential dates.
- Berserk Button: "You can threaten my people, you can threaten my boss, you can threaten me. But never fucking threaten the two chicks I love." She will hammer toss heavily armored tanks and pull a Heel–Face Turn and Big Damn Heroes on you.
- Covert Pervert: Big time.
- Forced into Evil
- Horrible Judge of Character: She seems to think that her unrequited feelings for two Yandere are perfectly normal.
- Idiot Hair: Has four of them, including a curl in the back that functions as an erogenous zone
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Living through two World Wars and the Cold War on the wrong side blended this with To Be Lawful or Good.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Russian Guy Suffers Most: Despite being of Ainu descent, she qualifies.
- Shrinking Violet
Of Gods and Parents
Gods of the Montui-verse
Mortimer Homlette Wells Eggleston IV: God of Small ThingsA towering god of nearly 7 feet tall, he can be found wandering the realm of humans in the form of a red and orange snail. Kind hearted to all and one of the First Six Children. May or may not have feelings for Morgan. His theme song is: The Fourth Avenue Cafe by L'Arc~En~Ciel.
- Break the Cutie: Just the first signs of it though.
- Deus Angst Machina: In the literal sense after...
- Go Mad from the Revelation
- Head Pet: To Morgan in snail form during the climax of the first book
- Talking Animal: When in snail form
Helicial Godess of Justice and JudgementAlso known as Nixa Gisopunto, she's Morgan's ex-girlfriend and wife of Elicatius, the Storm God. She was dating Mortimer, but dumped him for his brother before treating him like a third wheel. She's had a long standing grudge against the line of Tenoh, mostly for killing her children when the country was founded. Her theme song is: Bad Romance by Lady Gaga.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Bullying a Dragon: Hey! Let's traumatize the emotionless new kid! I'm sure that she's not going to mind!
- Expy: Of the author's ex-girlfriend
- Freudian Excuse: To be fair, waking up in the middle of a battlefield between your children's mutilated corpses probably wouldn't be health for anyone's sanity.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: In her backstory
- Karma Houdini: Oh so much...
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
Parents of Characters:
Lady Kaunis Valtameri Paprin IIIThe former queen of of Apropinquandi Montui and mother of the Paprins mentioned above. She's technically the blood heir to the kingdom even though her husband did most of the actual ruling once the kids were born. Her brother was to be king but he abdicated for post of librarian since he recognized she'd make a much better king than he. Her Guardian animal is an as yet unnamed panther, while her theme song is:
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Apparently her coronation was rather spectacular.
- Badass Normal: Compared to her kids, she qualifies
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's a kind lady who will go across dimensions for her children and kick the asses of everyone in a biker bar.
- Chekhovs MIA: For most of the first book.
- Lies to Children
- Mama Bear
- Noodle Incident: Her corronation much like her daughter's after party. All we know is it involved two goats, a drum and some string.
Pirate King Seiya UlvienneThe heroic leader of the pirates, technically retired but still willing to sail out to sea along side his underlings like Kamui. Also Ethan's father, and still misses his wife desperately. Surprisingly never begrudged his son for wanting to join the army rather than the family business. His theme song is: Megami no Senshi by Marina del Rey
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: He becomes the new god of death and gets his own ghostly pirate ship to sail for the job.
- Big Damn Heroes: He's quite fond of pulling these.
- Childhood Friend Romance
- Expy: Of Seiya particularly in his youth.
- Love at First Sight: When he kidnapped Ethan's mom when he was still a young pirate.
- Papa Wolf: Never threaten to harm his crew, or his son.
- Retired Badass
King Petrelli Mondui Paprin IThe late former king of Apropinquandi Montui and father to the current generation of the family. He was originally a nobleman from the Eastern Province of the Kingdom until he married Lady Kaunis. His Guardian animal is an unnamed boar, and his theme song is:
- Papa Wolf: Especially in the prologue.
- Theory of Narrative Causality: He basically dies because of this. Without his death there'd be no plot.
Linda RappHarun's mother who was the former General of the Codisian army under Catullus. She's strict but carefree and tends to cause her child great levels of stress. Also one fo the few happily married characters. She gets pulled out of retirement to take up her old post under the new government. Her theme song is: Crazy For You (Dum Tek Tek) by Hadisa.
- Retired Badass: Emphasis on the Badass
- Lady of War: Goes with being the General
- Happily Married: To Fahim
- Team Mom: To the Four Kings, especially her own and Svetlana.
- Good Parents
Fahim RappHarun's father, former secretary under Catullus now in the employment of the United States government. He's often away from home, so he and Harun never see each other much but they still do their best for one another. His theme song is also: Crazy For You (Dum Tek Tek) by Hadisa.
- Adorkable: Why Linda fell for him in the first place.
Seiryu Koryu King Catullus ScaevolaNero's father, much like his son he was a jovial man with a passion for football before he was murdered by his brother. He often shirked his duties to go play and travel around to bring in the best of all worlds in preparation for the country's independence. His theme song is: Yakitori by Yoko Kanno.
Byakko King Octavia ScaevolaNero's mother, she was the only one who could keep her husband under some sort of control. Though she did love her son very much, but was also killed along side her husband. Her theme song is: Stamina Rose by Yoko Kanno.
If These Are Our New Heroes, We're Doomed
"Ace"Ace was once a cheerful and loudly obnoxious person, however after the events of Nerdpocalypse, something darker and more sinister inside hir heart became unleashed. One part still is the innocent zie has always been. The other part may or may not be completely unhinged and hir true personality. Zie doesn't say much, though when zie does it's either brilliant or completely stupid. Hir theme song is: Not Good Enough For Truth In Cliche by Escape The Fate.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: Courtesy of Karen
- Ax-Crazy: The corpses zie left behind from Nerdpocalypse were just the beginning.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As evidenced by the Day in the Limelight chapter zie spent discussing the nature of how existence is defined.
- Dying Alone: Zie even manages to Lampshade it with hir theme song as he last words.
- Fan Nickname: In-universe, zie's called Russia due to hir habit of cosplaying him and acting like him. Eventually drops this after Nerdpocalypse and is often called Fussyfangs due to hir fretting and new outfit.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Svetlana, zie's still rather annoyed about not getting the upgrade.
- Our Vampires Are Different: becomes a draugr during the 2011 novel.
- Russian Guy Suffers Most: Normally doesn't qualify but as a play on hir nickname, zie does.
- Sanity Slippage: See Alas, Poor Yorick
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Part of hir sanity slippage.
- Zen Survivor: Becomes this by the time of the 2011 story, albeit with horrible flashbacks.
Nicolette Anna Summers (Nina)Johnny's younger sister, she was initially only mentioned in the background of Star On The Morning Tide. However thanks to the events of Nerdpocalypse she has achieved full main character status, even overshadowing the characters that were supposed to be the protagonists of the 2011 novel. She's brash, arrogant, and loud, but it all masks a deeply concerned and frighted person. Her theme song is: You're Gonna Go Far Kid by The Offspring.
- Angrish: Often gives into this.
- Cluster F-Bomb: More so than anyone else in the series.
- Eldritch Abomination: Tried to summon these in the 2011 novel, but was stopped by Harun and Svetlana.
- Love at First Punch: She and Ace seemed to do an exchange of attacks on this.
- Jerk Ass: Big time, especially in the beginning. Jerk with a Heart of Gold by the end of the story.
Rule 63 Royalty
After several artworks and short stories, the characterization is enough that the Rule 63 characters have their own tropes.
Danielle Paprin (fem!Darnell)
Emily Ulvienne (fem!Ethan}
Kaimana Paprin (male!Kaunis)
- One Head Taller: Compared to Emily
Morcant Paprin (male!Morgan)
Conrad Valentine (male!Kamui)
Nerina Scaevola (fem!Nero)
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Handan's Girly Girl appearance wise, personalities are inverted.
Handan Rapp (fem!Harun)
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl appearance wise and Tomboy personality wise.