The 2010 NaNoWriMo
novel by Kamui Valentine
Nero Scaevola appeared to be an average college student, not. Ever since the end of World War II, his homeland became part of the Soviet Union, his parents killed by the current dictator of his home, and he's been living on the run. Unable to stay anywhere for more than a year or so, he's decided he at least wants to try for a college degree. So when move in day arrives, he's excited to meet new friends, including his new roommate, Harun Rapp. Fortunately Nero seems to be more interested in his home and making allies for a coup d'etate than anything. But when students start getting attacked on campus, it's up to Nero to convince his roommate of a thing called destiny.Character Sheet here!
This work provides examples of:
- All Myths Are True: Due to the nature of the monarchy, the foundation myths of the kingdom are true. Just ask Morgan.
- Action Girl: All of the major females in the cast get this.
- Action Mom: Linda Rapp, Harun's mother.
- Anime Hair: Nero's hair, Lampshaded at several points.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Nero and Harun get several, also Ace and Johnny early on.
- Big Damn Heroes: Harun gets to pull one. Followed by the major characters siblings and love interests coming in to rescue them to as summoned by Svetlana.
- Beehive Barrier: Early on in the story to create containment fields.
- Big, Badass Wolf: Morgan's back.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Not as big as some examples but Harun has them compared to the rest of the cast.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Harun has it as a Shout-Out to the fanfic Come On Pants, with the Norwegian Curling Pants sported by Ace.
- Crazy-Prepared combined with Hammerspace: Ace can produce hir signature weapon from hir pocket on a whim along with duct tape and anything useful.
- Deadpan Snarker: Harun, Ace, Svetlana, and a litte bit of Morgan and Kamui.
- Even Evil Has Standards: As Smugsnake found out the hard way, if you threaten people Svetlana cares about, she will bring down holy hell on you.
- Five-Man Band:
- The Four Gods: The names of the proper kings of the country.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Nero has some from his backstory that give him a tiger like appearance. Svetlana has the evil kind until her Heel Realization.
- Hot-Blooded: Nero, Kamui, and Morgan
- Interface Screw: One of Nero's powers
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Svetlana
- Mythology Gag: The Vincent Valentine plushie.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Anyone mentioned again after page 50 is not the sort you want to meet in a dark alley.
- The World Cup: What Nero hopes to win in 2014 during the second story arc.