Literature / Wind Over The Ocean
A 2008 NaNoWriMo
novel by Kamui Valentine
Darnell Paprin IX is a prince of a kingdom living the life of royalty. He has servants, friends, a loving family, and a fiancee. However trouble looms on the horizon when his father dies unexpectedly
at a party. Someone is trying to take over the kingdom and eliminate anyone who figures out their plan, starting with Darnell. Though an unexpected twist he winds up on Earth, joining a Kendo
team in their quest to sweep their first national championships. Can he get back to his world in time to save his world and those he loves?
Currently has a sequel
and a weird sort of interquel sequel thing
with a character sheet
This work provides examples of
- Affably Evil: Lazkan, the nicest guy you would want to meet is, the son of The Dragon.
- Aloof Older Brother: Kris
- Badass Normal: Ethan, the only human without magical powers still manages to kick as much ass as the magic users.
- Ballroom Blitz: Averted early on but played straight with Morgan's parents.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Darnell and Claire are currently in a race for who can outdo the other in this trope.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Darnell and Morgan, sometimes playing off of the other's tangent.
- The Dragon: Lazkan's mother.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Morgan, overlaps with Magical Eye.
- Face–Heel Turn: Lazkan, though he got better. Bartholomew is a much straighter example.
- Five-Man Band: The Kendo Team
- Generation Xerox: Most of the main characters.
- Half-Human Hybrid: The early members of the royal family are this. The blood thinned out over time with one exception.
- Heel–Face Turn: Morgan's back story.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Inverted with Morgan and Darnell. They are not right handed.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall
- Martial Arts: Specifically Kendo, Fencing, and several hand to hand styles.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Well to be fair he didn't know that it would cause that but the trope still fits.
- One-Winged Angel: Several, most notably Morgan fighting Bartholomew, two One-Winged Angel combatants fighting it out.
- Psychotic Smirk: Morgan's Blood Knight habits give rise to this.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Darnell and Morgan. Also applies to Ethan and Darnell.
- Shout-Out: The author loves many media and it shows.
- Team Dad: Kris to the Kendo team.
- Took a Level in Badass: Most of the main characters by the end.
- Unstoppable Rage: Darnell and Kaunis during the ending.
- Word of God: On most of the weapon names and artwork.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hand Waved by Kaunis's family history, other than that most of the hair colors are normal.