Voiced by: Nachi Nozawa (TV anime, OVAs, Arcade game), Shigeru Matsuzaki (movie), Yasuo Yamada (PC Engine game), Yusaku Yara (Playstation game), Naoya Uchida (Cobra the Animation)
- An Arm and a Leg: Once lost his left arm to the man who would become Crystal Boy.
- Arm Cannon: Which shoots laser beams he can control with his mind.
- Badass: Is he ever!
- Biseinen: Before he changed his face.
- Cartwright Curse
- The Casanova
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Cigar Chomper: Rarely seen without a cigar. Some of them are gadgets in disguise.
- Cool Gun
- Fountain of Expies
- Handsome Lech
- Healing Factor: Not to the degree of wounds healing before one's eyes, but his ability to recover from injuries that would otherwise be life-threatening in a matter of hours is one of the reasons why he's survived everything he's been through.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lovable Rogue
- Mr. Fanservice
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: He is modeled after French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- The Other Darrin: Cobra has been voiced by various voice actors throughout the years, the most notable being the late Nachi Nozawa in the original anime series, the OVAs, and the arcade game.
- Rated M for Manly
- Rocket Punch: A strategy he once used against Crystal Boy's defenses. The villain is quick to deflect the punch on their next encounters, however, so Cobra has to try other methods.
- Showy Invincible Hero
- Smoking Is Cool
- Space Pirate
Lady Armaroid/Princess Emeralda
Voiced by: Yoshiko Sakakibara (TV anime, OVAs, Arcade game, Cobra the Animation), Etsuko Ishikawa (PC Engine game), Toshiko Fujita (Playstation game)
- Action Girl
- Badass Princess: Before she received her Armaroid body.
- Only Known by Their Nickname
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Justified since she wasn't always a robot.
- Robot Girl
- True Blue Femininity: Played with.
Voiced by: Kiyoshi Kobayashi (TV anime, Arcade game), Goro Mutsumi (movie), Tessho Genda (PC Engine game), Koji Totani (Playstation game), Hiroki Tochi (Cobra the Animation)
- Bad Ass: In all incarnations. He can take Cobra on in single combat where the rest of the pirate guild (Even Hammerbolt Joe) can, at best, match Cobra in one aspect but not another. It's fitting that in all incarnations he's one of the more higher ranking members of the guild.
- Bald of Evil
- Big Bad: Along with Salamander.
- Cultured Badass
- Genius Bruiser: Of a sort. He's shown to be at least knowledgeable in combat; his movie incarnation made sure Cobra was put into a position where he HAD to stand and fight him, and he's smart enough in the text game to send ships at the Turtle so that Cobra doesn't have any backup on Neon Big Bird. He might have even beaten Cobra then and there, had he not underestimated Lady's badassery.
- Light Is Not Good: He has a golden skeleton.
- No Sell: His crystal body allows him to redirect any beam weapon he's hit with so that it passes harmlessly through him. Even the Psychogun's. Cobra has gotten around this by making his lasers be reflected inside Crystal Boy until they cause damage to his body or overheat him.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: He likes wine for starters.
- Shout-Out: Word of God has stated that his name was named after David Bowie as well as Bowie knife. So it would seem the Crunchyroll version calling him "Crystal Bowie" is in fact correct.
- Space Pirate
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Crystal Boy" or "Crystal Bowie"? See Shout-Out above.