open/close all folders
Position: Power Forward
Height: 6 feet 2.5 inches (188 cm)
Weight: 182.6 lbs (83 kg)
Birthday: April 1
Shoes: Nike Air Jordan 6 note later the Nike Air Jordan 1 note
- Aborted Declaration of Love: A sincere variation. Basically, he stands up in front of Haruko during the final minutes of a match, and bearing the pain of a back injury, he declares his wholehearted love... of basketball.
- Adorkable: Whenever Haruko is involved.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Haruko seem to genuinely love him, just not that way.
- Animal Motif: According to Kiyota, he's like a monkey, more specifically an orangutan.
- Badass Adorable: Childish, sincere, gullible and kind. Even moreso in his Super-Deformed mode.
- Big Eater: In the lunch breaks of his 20,000-shot training.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He really wants you to know he's a BASKETBALL GENIUS!
- Butt Monkey: If you see him loudly declaring his geniality (and he does that very often), it usually means he's about to make a very humiliating mistake.
- Catch Phrase: "I'm a basketball GENIUS!"
- Character Development: From a Hot-Blooded ex-delinquent, to a still Hot-Blooded but more mature player.
- Dark Skinned Red Head: He's quite tan.
- The Determinator: Especially notable during the Sannoh game, where he keeps playing despite a potentially crippling injury.
- Disappeared Dad: Who died of a heart-attack when he was in junior high. Sakuragi misses him terribly.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Haruko.
- Evil Laugh: "Naa-hahahahahahaha!!"
- Expy: Of Dennis Rodman.
- Face of a Thug: During the first chapter, Haruko's friends warn her not to get too close to Sakuragi because of this.
- Failure Knight: Because he was caught by a bunch of other delinquents who beat him severely... and he couldn't get help for his ill father, who ended up dying.
- Fiery Red Head: His hair are infamous In-Universe because of this.
- The Fool: Subverted, since despite his potential he can't skip the basic training. Other players start treating him more and more seriously as he learns the basics of the sport.
- Gentle Giant: He's much more friendly towards girls than males; if he has a crush on you, he'll go blushy and tongue-tied.
- Hard Head: He would be either a vegetable or even more stupid than he already is were it not for this trope, considering his signature and preferred method of attack.
- Honor Before Reason: Once he makes a promise, he will keep it, fire or water.
- Hot-Blooded: He covers his lack of skill with the extreme intensity of his plays, sometimes jumping several times to stop a throw after falling for a fake.
- Idiot Hero: Mostly because he's too Hot-Blooded to stop and think. When he does, he sometimes Subverts this.
- Important Haircut: After blaming himself for the loss against Kainan when he mistook the Kainan's center for Akagi.
- Indulgent Fantasy Segue: During a match, he becomes frustrated as he can't get rid of his markers, so he imagines himself headbutting them and leaving them knocked out. Cue him whimpering over the rules that forbid him doing so.
- Ironic Echo: During the first episode, he says he loves basketball to get on Haruko's good side, despite never having played it. During the last match he says it again, but this time he means it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A total sweetheart and teddy-bear with the kind-and-innocent heart (and booksmarts) of a 5 year old.
- Large and in Charge: He's the leader of his gang and noticeably taller than them.
- Large Ham: He's not pleased until everyone is looking at him.
- Lightning Bruiser: Very tall, VERY agile. Akagi trains him specifically to catch rebound balls at some point, and this becomes his main skill. He also manages to knock down Hanagata and Maki while dunking, despite the latter actively body checking him.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: He's asked out (and been rejected by) 50 girls.
- Love Redeems: Had it not been for his love for Haruko, Sakuragi would more than likely have ended up like Mitsui — if not worse.
- Manly Tears: Moreso than any other character.
- Mr. Imagination: Usually done to boost his own ego. Done less frequently as the series goes on.
- The Nick Namer: If you're not a female or one of his four friends, do NOT expect him to refer you by name or surname.
- No Indoor Voice: Part of his Hot-Blooded and Large Ham characterization.
- Red-Headed Hero: Subverted, he dyes his hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Rukawa and with Fukuda.
- Subcultures In Japan: Sakuragi is a yankii, and he keeps his looks even after leaving delinquency.
- Small Name, Big Ego:
- Supporting Protagonist: He'll never acknowledge it but he is very definitely not the star of his team. Sometimes he even becomes The Load, especially at the beginning.
- Teen Genius: Think of it. This guy unlocks his potential and develops his basketball skills, aided by his Super Strength, in merely one semester.
- Took a Level in Badass: Eventually develops some genuine basketball skills and becomes a noteworthy player.
- Unknown Rival: To Rukawa, who actually is The Ace of the team. Rukawa does acknowledge his potential and determination towards the end, even if his skills still aren't up to par.
- Unskilled, but Strong: One of the reoccuring themes of the story is his potential to be a great basketball player, but his lack of skill in certain areas. He slowly but surely grows out of this as the series progresses.
- Use Your Head: His preferred method of punishment.
- Wife-Basher Basher: Even though Youko rejected his love confession, he was was still going to dish out a brutal beating to Oda, her boyfriend (who plays for the anime-only Takezono), for slapping her.
- Wolverine Publicity: In one way or another, he's the only character who appeared in the covers of all 31 volumes of the manga - even during the Mitsui origin story arc.
Position: Small Forward
Height: 6 feet 2 inches (187 cm)
Weight: 165 lbs (75 kg)
Birthday: January 1
Shoes: Nike Air Jordan 5
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (JP) Sergio Bonilla and later Oscar Flores(LA)Kaede Rukawa is the small forward of the Shohoku team, and Hanamichi Sakuragi's rival as well as his opposite; attractive to girls, skilled at basketball, and very cold and aloof. Although he does share some traits with Sakuragi in that they are not academically inclined and are good fighters. Although he regards Sakuragi as an idiot and the two frequently get into conflicts, he knows that Sakuragi can put his talents to better use.
- The Ace: Sakuragi will never accept it, but everybody else knows that Rukawa is the star of the team.
- Aloof Ally: He never shows friendliness towards his teammates, but when the team needs him he plays so hard that he collapses before the match ends.
- Animal Motif: Sakuragi compares him to a fox, probably because he always looks so sleepy.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Even though he's only 'brilliant' when it comes to basketball.
- Broken Ace: Basketball is his life. Social skills be damned.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's as good at basketball as he's bad at... everything else. Including staying awake while driving his bicycle.
- Catch Phrase: "Dumbass", usually towards Sakuragi of Kiyota.
- Chick Magnet: He doesn't seem to care, but girls adore him.
- The Comically Serious: Especially when it's shown that, in his own way, he is as dumb as Sakuragi.
- Deadpan Snarker: How he reacts to his teammates' antics.
- Delinquents: Just as infamous as Sakuragi for a history of brutal violence.
- Determinator: He plays with so much intensity that he sometimes collapses on the bench when he's subbed out. During the first game with Ryonan, he keeps playing despite having leg cramps.
- Expy: Of Michael Jordan, if only in playing technique and the armband.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He doesn't get along so well with his teammates, however he doesn't care.
- Heavy Sleeper: To nearly absurd levels, such as getting asleep while riding his bike. It's implied he spends the nights practicing until very late, so he needs the daytime sleep. Oh, did we mention waking him up is a VERY bad idea?
- Headphones Equal Isolation: When he's not sleeping he's listening to his headphones. Justified since he plans on going to America one day, so his headphones are constantly playing English lessons or English music.
- I Work Alone: He is very individualist, especially when he feels rivalry towards his direct opponent. It seems to work well for him... until he meets an opponent he cannot defeat this way.
- Idiot Hero: He hides it better than Sakuragi or Miyagi, but he is definitely this.
- It's All About Me: His playing style is criticized as being selfish.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold:
- During the Shoyo match he shows shades of this towards Sakuragi, calling him out to get him out of his rut when he's scared of getting kicked out and encouraging him after his dunk.
- Shows this even more in the anime, especially when dealing with Ichiro in the last OAV. He does want to help, but prefers to put on the biggest Jerk Ass Facade ever to force Ichiro to give his all. And when it's all said and done, he gives in and hands the kid one of his jerseys, and donning his first smile EVER.
- Lack of Empathy: Part of his lack of people skills.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's both extremely fast and able to fight under the basket when it's needed.
- Married to the Job: He spends every second he has playing basketball.
- Mr. Fanservice: Considered this In-Universe.
- No Social Skills: He's not very good with people, but he doesn't seem to care.
- Perpetual Frowner: Hanamichi tries to make fun of him for being "expressionless".
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Real Men Wear Pink: Rides a pink bike.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sakuragi's red.
- The Stoic: He almost never shows any emotion.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: He's a pretty tall player, and definitely a Deadpan Snarker.
Number: 4 (team captain)
Height: 6 feet 6 inches (197 cm)
Weight: 198 lbs (90 kg)
Birthday: May 10
Shoes: Converse Weapon Classic
Voiced by: Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP), José Luis Castañeda (LA)Takenori Akagi is Haruko's older brother, serving as Shohoku's captain and center. Along with Kogure, he is the only other player who stayed on the Shohoku basketball team for all three years. Before he met the current Shohoku members, he had to overcome ridicules from his classmates (for dreaming of winning the national championship), doubts from bystanders, and the frustration of losing his teammates, as they found Akagi's training to be too difficult and harsh.
- Academic Athlete: He is the most academically talented starter and is considered a model student.
- Animal Motifs: He looks like a gorilla, anche the other players will not let him forget this.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't insult basketball in front of him. EVER.
- Hanamichi doesn't need to insult basketball to push his button. In fact, he's pretty creative when it comes to it. Hilarity Ensues EVERY time.
- Big Brother Instinct: Very, VERY protective of little Haruko.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Sakuragi, who even refers to himeself as "Gori's Younger Brother" during the Kainan match.
- The Big Guy: He's the center of Shohoku and one of the tallest and largest players around.
- The Captain: It's not easy to be this for a team like Shohoku, but he's very good at it.
- The Comically Serious: His angry reactions to his teammates' antics are at least as funny as the antics themselves.
- Expy: Of Patrick Ewing.
- Genius Bruiser: Top student, super strong center player.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kogure.
- Large and in Charge: The fact that he's the only one strong enough to beat his teammates when they misbehave too much helps him being The Captain.
- Mighty Glacier: He has very good technique as a center and he's very physically strong, but speed is not one of his assets.
- Mr. Exposition: Keeps explaining basket stuff to Sakuragi, especially when he has to teach him rebounds.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Towards Aouta and Sakuragi.
- Not So Stoic:
- He's actually far more Hot-Blooded than you'd think. Notable during the Kainan match, when he sprains his ankle but keeps playing, and during the Sannoh match, when he starts crying during a timeout.
- Sakuragi sometimes manages to push him into incoherent rage. The first time he completely files off the handles is when Sakuragi slam dunks on his head.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni:
- With Aouta, lampshaded by Kogure more than once.
- As well as with Uozumi.
- Him and Kogure as well.
- Scary Black Man: Has traits of this.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Haruko, in both physical appearance and personality.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Kogure's Sensitive Guy.
- Supporting Leader: He's The Captain and one of the two stars of the team, but he's not the main character.
- Team Dad: As The Captain and the most mentally stable of his team, he often falls into this role.
- Unskilled, but Strong: During his first year he was almost as unskilled as Sakuragi.
- Worthy Opponent: With Oozumi. See his entry for more.
- Younger Than They Look: According to Maki, Akagi looks even older then him.
Position: Point Guard
Height: 5 feet 6 inches (168 cm)
Weight: 130 lbs (59 kg)
Birthday: July 31
Shoes: Converse Drive
Voiced by: Yoku Shioya (JP), Enrique Mederos (LA)Ryota Miyagi is the point guard of the Shohoku team and Hanamichi Sakuragi's closest friend on the team. After an initial misunderstanding that caused conflict between them, both found comradeship in the fact that they had both been unlucky in love, although Miyagi, having only been rejected 10 times, still falls short of Sakuragi's record of 50 rejections.
- Adorkable: In direct correlation to how close Ayako is.
- Always Someone Better: He definitely faces some steep competition in regards to whose the best point guard in the series, with Maki and Fujima during the Regionals and with Fukatsu during the Nationals. He even Lampshades this before the Sannoh match.
- Berserk Button: According to the prequel, he LOATHES when people toss trash around. And it's double when they throw things into the sea. Later, it's violence against women and especially to Ayako.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Ryota and Ayako were this at age eleven (age was probably the key reason for this). Rather hilarious considering how much of a dogged nice guy Ryota becomes later on.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Sakuragi, being the member of the regulars that he's the closest to. Sakuragi's "Ryou-chin" nickname for him is actually an affectionate one.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: By far the most analytical of the players on the court with a keen court awareness. When forced to study for his make-up exams, he picks up the material pretty quickly and is capable of getting good scores. In the 10 Days Later omake, he's shown going through a pile of books on how to be an effective leader (while skipping his actual classes).
- Courtly Love: Another way to see his devotion to Ayako, since he states he's satisfied as long as he can make her happy.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Introduced as one. He punches Hanamichi in the face the first time he meets him because he assumed he was dating Ayako (when all the two were doing was walking together).
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Ayako, Played for Laughs.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: He apparently becomes one after being made captain.
- Face of a Thug: And has the temper to go with it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Sakuragi. They actually bond over their bad luck at romance.
- I Will Wait for You: He built a sort-of secret spot in a cave near the sea to wait for his brother's return. He takes Ayako there after their... weird first meeting.
- I Wished You Were Dead: According to his backstory, Miyagi had an older brother who got lost at sea... and this happened right after Ryota said he never wanted to see him again because said brother didn't want to him to tag along.
- Indy Ploy: As a point guard, he's quite good at these.
- Japanese Delinquents: While not really one, he's got both the attitude and the involvement, having been a target of Mitsui and his gang's bullying prior to Mitsui's Heel–Face Turn.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He starts off as one but outgrows it pretty quickly.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: He was introduced as one (although he never gets very far), but spends most of the series devoted to Ayako.
- The Napoleon: A milder example: though he can still be sensitive about his height, the issue isn't brought up as much since he actually makes use of it.
- Love at First Punch: Surprisingly enough, Ryota and Ayako were both this to each other in 6th grade (according to the prequel) - he slapped her twice, she slapped him back and bit him in the arm. Perhaps Miyagi's Adorkable side came with puberty.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Don't underestimate him for his size, he's a very good fighter.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to fellow point guard Yasuda's Sensitive Guy.
- She's All Grown Up: One possible explanation for Miyagi's deep infatuation with Ayako. It's revealed he first met her when he was 11, but at the time thought she was weird. Yet when he meets her again in high school, he's head over heels.
- Wife-Basher Basher: When Mitsui is trying to start a fight, Miyagi refuses to fall for his provocations and tries to defuse the situation... until one of Mitsui's underlings hits Ayako.
- Would Not Hit a Girl:
- Completely snaps when Ayako is hit by a delinquent, kicking the culprit in the head and then beating him up savagely while yelling at him to not ever raise his hand against a woman.
- Zig-Zagged in his backstory. At age 11 he slapped Ayako without hesitation for throwing things into the sea thanks to his trauma about his missing at the sea older brother.... but he is shocked when, after she hits him back, he pushes her aside and actually causes her a rather bad injury on her leg.
Position: Shooting Guard
Height: 6 feet (184 cm)
Weight: 154 lbs (70 kg)
Birthday: May 22
Shoes: ASICS GT White
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu (JP), Jorge Palafox and later Benjamin Rivera (LA)Hisashi Mitsui is the shooting guard of the Shohoku team. Before the beginning of the series, he was the MVP in his final year at Takeishi. Despite having the opportunity to join more prestigious high schools like Ryonan, he chose to go to Shohoku because of Coach Mitsuyoshi Anzai. Anzai had given him the courage to win in the Junior High tournament by encouraging him during the last seconds of the match. However, an injury to his left knee in a training session in his first year at Shohoku interrupts his basketball career. An imprudent early return to the court severely injures the knee, leading to a basketball hiatus of over a year. Although he eventually healed, Mitsui was embittered by his exclusion from the court and quits basketball to become the leader of a gang.
- The Ace: He was this in middle school and during his first year. During the last match, he finally realizes that he can still act as this when the team needs it.
- The Atoner: After his Heel–Face Turn, he gives his all during practice and games partly because of this.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: After being forced to give up basketball, he never found anything else he truly cared about.
- The Determinator: The lack of stamina makes more difficult to Mitsui. Every important match ends with him weary and tired, but this not stop him from continuing to shoot his three-point shots.
- Expy: Of Reggie Miller, if you take into account his three-point shooting and his consistent knee injuries.
- Fallen Hero: He gets introduced as this, but he gets better.
- Glass Cannon: His two-year long absence from basketball costs him most of his stamina. His shooting skill, on the other hand, remains untouched.
- Heel–Face Turn: After Anzai gives him a second chance and his friends push him towards it.
- Heel Realization: Akagi and Kogure push him towards this, but it's seeing Anzai again that triggers it.
- He's Back: The reaction of the crowd when he shows he's still a top player during the Shoyo game.
- Important Haircut: After his Heel–Face Turn, to show he's back to being a sportsman.
- Long-Range Fighter: Not only he's an excellent shot, but his specific speciality are three point field goals.
- Japanese Delinquents: He becomes this after leaving the team, while Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life.
- My Greatest Second Chance: He views the fact that the team let him rejoin it as this.
- One Steve Limit
- Toothy Issue: Has missing incisors that Ryota knocked out of his face while still a delinquent. By the time he joins the team, he's already replaced them (most probably with bridges).
Position: Small Forward
Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Weight: 83 kg
Birthday: July 12
Shoes: Mizuno Wave
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Normal: He lacks the talent and attitude his top-player teammates have, but he's still a good and experienced player and The Reliable One.
- The Heart: Plays this role in a team composed mostly of Japanese Delinquents.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: On one hand, he's extremely close to Mitsui and very devoted to him after his Heel–Face Turn. On the other, he and Akagi as the two have been inseparable since middle school and he's very devoted to him as well.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: He's a pretty good shooter and can do a bit of everything else.
- Megane: Hanamichi even calls him "Megane-kun".
- Nice Guy: To the point of being a Rare Male Example of a Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Number Two: To Akagi.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to Mitsui after he tries to have the basketball team disqualified from competitions.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: With both Mitsui and Akagi.
- Team Mom: A Rare Male Example, with Akagi being the Team Dad.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: He's a Rare Male Example. Think of it: He is handsome but not gorgeous, acts as sub-captain and Team Mom to Shohoku, defers a lot to captain Akagi, is very devoted to his close friend Mitsui, he tends to try defusing crisis with gentle words (i.e., the very rebellious Sakuragi adores Kogure and is very protective of him)... but when the Shohoku team is under fire, the steel comes out and Kogure proves himself to be mentally strong enough to do thinks like taking a slap to the face from the still not Heel Face Turn-ed Mitsui without flinching, and later telling him to NOT mess up with his team or scoring a three-pointer exactly at the moment when it's needed, being vital to the victory against Ryonan and letting Shohoku go to the Nationals.
Position: Point Guard
Height: 5 feet 5 inches
- Alliterative Name: His first and last name both begin with a "y".
- Butt Monkey: Especially in the early chapters, thanks to Sakuragi.
- Extreme Doormat: Subverted. He's often pushed around but stands up for his team when it counts, and the other players know it and respect him for this.
- Eyes Always Shut: It makes him look like a cat.
- Hidden Depths: He's brave when it counts.
- Nice Guy: It works to his advantage during the Toyotama game, where he calms his hotheaded teammates.
- Odd Friendship: With Miyagi. Timid little Yasuda warmly greeting Miyagi was probably the first indication that Miyagi wasn't such a scary guy after all.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: To Miyagi, whom he's known since middle school.
- Shrinking Violet
- Those Two Guys: Him and all the other backup players are this.
Position: Team Manager
- Age-Appropriate Angst: According to the one-shot, Piercing, she didn't take her mother dating again very well. She angrily tossed a gift her mom got for her boyfriend into the sea, and then Ryota got it back for her and slapped her for throwing stuff in the water.
- Cool Big Sis: Specially to Sakuragi and Rukawa.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Ayako was this towards Ryota as children.
- Disappeared Dad: We see her mother in Piercing, but there's no word on her dad.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Piercing depicts Ayako as a pre-teen girl with long straight hair. In Slam Dunk proper it's quite wavier, so she probably perms it.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Discussed. The things that Ayako threw into the sea was a pair of simple green earrings given to her mom, and she recalled how she thought her mom would look much better with shiny, big red ones. Her mom later explained that the green earrings were a gift for Ayako.
- First-Name Basis: We never know what her surname is. Following the info given in Piercings... it might be Sasaki, but only if her mother did marry her boyfriend Sasaki and Ayako took up his name.
- Nice Hat: Either red cap or light purple cap.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: As a kid.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Always carries one, and more than once she hits Sakuragi with it.
- Parent with New Paramour: When she found out that her mother started dating again, it didn't go well for her. As expected from a pre-teen girl, and made worse because she once spotted her mom and said boyfriend when she was with her friend...
- Tsundere: As a teenager, towards Ryota.
Position: Head Coach
Voiced by: Tomomichi NishimuraMitsuyoshi Anzai is the overweight coach of the Shohoku basketball team, and one of the best coaches in Japan. Even the coaches of other teams call him "Anzai-sensei" with respect. His calm and collected attitude contrasts with the temper he had in the past, when he was nicknamed "White-Haired Devil" as a demanding college coach.
- Acrofatic: Not to fighting levels, but he's still an excellent shot.
- Big Good: Plays this role to the team, usually letting Akagi take care of things, and stepping in only when his players really need moral support.
- Blank White Eyes
- Catch Phrase: "Oh hoh hoh hoh hoh hoh..."
- Dissonant Serenity: He only loses his cool once, and even then it's for less than a second.
- The Obi-Wan: Plays this role to his players during the story. Notable before the Sannoh match, when he goes to every player and says just the right thing to get them into their perfect mental condition.
- Old Master: He's very experienced, both as a player and as a coach.
- Stern Teacher: Even more so in the backstory, where he bordered on Sadist Teacher.
Position: Small Forward note
Height: 6 feet 3 inches (190 cm)
Weight: 174 lbs (79 kg)
Birthday: February 14
Shoes: Converse Weapon Black
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka (JP), Salvador Delgado (LA)Akira Sendoh is Ryonan's ace and small forward who is considered one of the top players in Kanagawa. An easygoing person, Sendoh usually has a smile on his face whether on-court or off. He can be lazy at times and has a reputation for arriving late to practice sessions and matches. His tardiness is tolerated though, because of his abilities. His teammates trust him wholeheartedly, firmly believing that he can lead Ryonan to victory even if they are trailing. However he was outplayed by Eiji Sawakita back in junior high.
- The Ace: Sendoh is one the most talented players in Slam Dunk. He's a good shooter, nice rebounder and also a strategist of the game. He's able to play fancy offense but also great defense to stop outstanding forwards such as Rukawa. Despite his height he's a very speedy and flexible player. His teammates sincerely believe victory is always an option as long as he's on court, no matter the opponent or the situation.
- Anime Hair: Has spiky hair.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He does like basketball and practicing, but his extremely laid-back attitude means he sometimes takes things less seriously than his coach would like.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: One of the best players around and one of the most whimsical.
- Chick Magnet: Not as much as Rukawa but his looks, his skills and his Nice Guy attitude mean there are a lot of girls swooning over him.
- Hero Antagonist: By virtue of being on the Opposing Sports Team, and The Hero for his team, and still a Nice Guy.
- Lightning Bruiser: Goes hand in hand with being The Ace.
- Lovable Jock: See Nice Guy below.
- Nice Guy: He's always relaxed and nice, even towards his opponents.Sakuragi, just before the match: So, you're this Sendo guy, are you? I'm Sakuragi the Genius, and I will utterly destroy you.Sendoh, smiling and shaking hands with him: Pleasure to meet you.
- Odd Friendship: With the grumpy and Hot-Blooded Fukuda.
- Perpetual Smiler: He enjoys playing basketball even when his team is in a pinch.
- The Rival: He's Rukawa main rival for most of the series.
- Worthy Opponent: He and Rukawa consider each other this. Despite the difference in skill, Sendoh seems to consider Sakuragi this too because of his determination and ballsy attitude. Also forms a very Friendly Rivalry with Maki during and after their match.
Number: 4 (team captain)
- Animal Motif: Either the gorilla or the orangutang.
- The Big Guy: He's the biggest regular player in the series.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Flashbacks reveal he's rather sensitive and he really loves his teammates.
- The Captain: Since he doesn't have Sendoh's charisma, he decides he'll be The Reliable One for his team instead of trying to get in the spotlight.
- Dark Skinned Red Head: A rather realistic variation. His hair is reddish-brown and he's pretty tan.
- Emotional Bruiser: He's a lot more emotional and Hot-Blooded then the other centers of the show (which works against him more than once), and is a Gentle Giant out of the courts.
- Evil Counterpart: This being a sports manga it's more of a Rival Counterpart, but he shares a lot of Akagi's traits and the two have a long rivalry.
- Hot-Blooded: Unfortunately he can't control this as well as other centers, and he often commits pointless fouls. When he manages to concentrate enough to prevent this problem, though, he becomes The Juggernaut.
- Large and in Charge: The largest player of his team and The Captain.
- Manly Tears: He does this a lot.
- Mighty Glacier: He's a more extreme version of Akagi, even stronger physically but slower and less skilled.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Akagi's blue.
- The Rival: To Akagi, since their first year.
- Supporting Leader: He is the team captain, but Sendoh is obviously The Hero of their team.
- Supreme Chef: His family owns a rather popular sushi restaurant and he's expected to inherit it.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Compared to the other regular centers, he's this. Flashbacks from his first year show this was even more extreme in the past.
- Worthy Opponent: Mostly to Akagi, although they both respect each other almost bordering on friendship. After their last game against each other, they hug while crying Manly Tears.
- Younger Than They Look: People have a very hard time believing he's only in high school. Masashi thought he was Akagi's dad.
Position: Small Forward
Voiced by: Shinobu SatouchiHiroaki Koshino is a shooting guard and one of Ryonan's main playmakers. Although not up to the level of Mitsui or Jin, he is still a good long range shooter.
Position: Shooting Guard
Voiced by: N/ATomoyuki Uekusa is the Point Guard of Ryonan.
Position: Power Forward
Voiced by: Hideo Ishikawa (JP), Carlos Enrique Bonilla (LA)Kicchou Fukuda is a power forward of the Ryonan team and one of their aces. His offensive power rivals many of the best players in Kanagawa. Fukuda is seen throughout the series doing alley-oops with Sendoh as the passer, but his defensive ability is weak and can be easily exploited. He has something of a rivalry going on with Sakuragi from the first time they learn of each other, when the latter was depressed over the loss to Kainan and was near a basketball court where Fukuda was practicing.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: For all his stoicism, he's actually very sensitive when given a chance.
- The Comically Serious: He never changes his expression, even when pretty strange thigs are happening during the game.
- Cry Cute: Bursts down crying when Ryonan loses to Shohoku.
- Hot-Blooded: Actually his Fatal Flaw — he attacked Taoka when in a blind rage and that got him benched for several weeks.
- Jerk Ass: Although it's mainly towards Sakuragi... and this is Sakuragi we're talking about.
- Not So Different: Although the two are polar opposites in personality, Sakuragi and Fukuda are actually very similar when it comes to basketball. They're both relatively new to the sport, quick learners, poor in defense, and are very prideful.
- Odd Friendship: He and Sendoh appear to be pretty good friends despite being completely different. Which provides a nice contrast to the very unfriendly rivalry Sakuragi and Rukawa have.
- Perpetual Frowner: To contrast with Sendoh's perpetual smile.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sakuragi's red.
- The Stoic: He almost never reacts to anything.
- Unskilled, but Strong: As he's meant to be Not So Different from Sakuragi.
- Worthy Opponent: Despite his bad first impression, he comes to see Sakuragi as this towards the end of the game.
Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (JP), Luis Daniel Ramírez (LA)Hikoichi Aida aspires to become a player like his Ryonan teammates but, not being up to their level, he stays with the reserves and acts more as a team manager than a full player, taking detailed notes during matches.
Coach Moichi Taoka
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (JP), Paco Mauri (LA)Moichi Taoka is Ryonan's coach and a contemporary of Kainan's Riki Takato, who is a year younger than he is. Both of them have known each other since high school. Both men are still friends, but are also rivals.
- Butt Monkey: Off the courts.
- Graceful Loser: On losing the chance to go to Nationals, Taoka openly admits that Ryonan's loss was all his fault, for underestimating Sakuragi and Kogure.
- Stern Teacher: So much that his Training from Hell makes everyone in Ryonan collapse upon the mere memories.
- The Rival: To Takato, ever since they were teenagers.
- Team Dad: Specially to Uozumi.
Voiced by: Kouji Tsujitani (JP), Genaro Vásquez (LA)Kenji Fujima is the point guard and coach of Shoyo. As such, he only enters the court when his presence is really needed, such as when the team is behind and struggling.
- The Ace: He's the star player of his team.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: By virtue of being both The Ace, The Captain, and the team coach.
- Bishōnen: One of the prettiest characters of the manga.
- The Captain: He's very good at motivating his teammates, both from the bench and on the court.
- Chick Magnet: During the Kainan/Ryonan match, some girls start swooning over him when they see him watching the game.
- Expy: Of Larry Bird.
- Large and in Charge: Inverted. In a team that is (in)famous for its 190-Centimeter-minimum average-height, the positively tiny point-guard Fujima (178 centimeters) is The Ace. Not to mention his Lancer Hanagata defers to him completely.
- Lovable Jock: Is actually a Nice Guy despite having the looks and the sports skills that would make him the perfect Jerk Jock.
- The Rival: He and Maki were this during past tournaments.
- The Strategist: He spends most of his match on the bench, motivating his teammates and coming up with strategies to stop Shohoku's attacks.
Voiced by: Nobuhiko Kazama (JP), Mario Castañeda (LA)Toru Hanagata is considered one of the top centers in the Kanagawa along with Akagi and Uozumi. He mixes strength and tactical skill in his playing, being able to easily avoid defensive play.
- The Big Guy: He's the tallest Shoyo player and their center.
- Cry Cute: While everyone is seen crying when Shoyo loses, there's a long and lingering focus on Hanagata's face... and the poor guy is openly weeping.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Mostly on the field. Off the field we see him as a rather serious but not super scary guy, as much a Deadpan Snarker.
- Genius Bruiser: He's the most agile and skillful of the main centers, and he often tricks Akagi with his fakes.
- The Glasses Come Off: Although that was due to Sakuragi accidentally breaking them during the match, he still made a rather passionate declaration to the effect after that happened.
- The Lancer: When Fujima is on the bench, Hanagata acts as The Leader on the court.
- Stoic Spectacles: Especially at the beginning, when Shoyo is in control of the match. He becomes less and less stoic as the game goes on.
- Sugarand Ice Personality: Despite being The Stoic, he's a good leader and motivator to his teammates, and completely loyal to Fujima.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Team Dad: Acts like this when his teammates need to be shocked out of their rut.
- The Worf Effect: Despite getting the better of Akagi in their match, he finds himself completely outclassed by Sakuragi when it comes to rebounding, much to his shock.
Voiced by: Kozo ShioyaKazushi Hasegawa is the forward and has a personal history with Hisashi Mitsui.
Voiced by: Hisao Egawa (JP), Israel Magaña and later Igor Cruz (LA)Shinichi Maki is the point guard of the Kainan team and is reputed to be the best player in Kanagawa, and was crowned prefectural MVP twice.
- The Ace: Handsome, calm, smart and the most skilled player in the whole district.
- Ambiguously Brown: Subverted during the Distant Epilogue. It turns out he's tanned due to his other hobby: surfing.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: By virtue of being both The Ace and The Captain.
- Beauty Mark: Under his left eye.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Nobunaga, when the latter is not acting like a Bratty Half-Pint. It mirrors the relationship between Akagi and Sakuragi.
- The Captain: He directs his team as their best player, their point guard and their motivator.
- The Comically Serious: When Sakuragi mocks him for having the face of a thirty-years-old man, Maki replies by pointing out with a straight face that Akagi looks older than him.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Stop slicking his hair back after the match with Shohoku, presumably to look a little less old.
- Expy: Of Magic Johnson.
- Genius Bruiser: Possibly the physically strongest point guard seen in the series, and a very competent strategist capable of drawing the entire opposing team's defense to him.
- Lightning Bruiser: Physically strong and agile and skilled enough to be the best player in the district.
- Not So Stoic: Jin notes that his comeback about Akagi looking older than him is proof that Sakuragi's insults did sting a bit. Later, we get to see him sulking when Hanamichi's friends mistake him for the team's coach.
- The Rival: To Fujima, during past tournaments. He seems to find a new rival in Sendoh.
- The Strategist: Being the point guard, he decides which plays the team executes. Or he just tanks the ''entire defense'' of the opponents' team.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: The tan only adds to it.
- Team Dad: Especially notable when he scolds Kiyota and when he encourages Miyamasu.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: It's not only his looks, he has a pretty mature attitude too.
- The Worf Effect: As strong and skilled as he is, Sakuragi still manages to outmuscle him on one occasion, where Maki falls down while attempting to fowl Sakuragi's dunk.
- Worthy Opponent: He and Sendoh come away from their match, seeing each other as this. Helps that Maki is levelheaded and calm and Sendoh is such a Nice Guy. He even offers advice regarding Shohoku.
- Younger Than They Look: Lampshaded by Sakuragi - he's 17/18, by the way. Please don't talk to him about it.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (JP), Luis Alfonso Mendoza and later Genaro Vásquez (LA)Nobunaga Kiyota is the small forward of the Kainan team who closely resembles Sakuragi in attitude but has the skills to back it up.
- Animal Motif: Sakuragi considers him to be a monkey.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Manages to pull this despite being 15/16 already.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Before the Shohoku/Kainan game, he starts randomly showing off his dribbling skills.
- Evil Counterpart: A bratty freshman starter who can jump high and competes against Rukawa. Now who could that be describing?
- Hot-Blooded: Notable during the Kainan/Ryonan game, when he manages to overcome Uozumi's defense and gives a big boost to the morale of his team.
- Jerk Ass: Mostly towards Sakuragi and Rukawa.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Unlike Sakuragi, he's actually very respectful to his teammates and genuinely adores Maki.
- Keet: Although he's only short when compared to other basketball players.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The kid can dunk over Akagi and Oozumi.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Plays this role outside the courts and during his Small Name, Big Ego moments.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's the Manly Man to Jin's Sensitive Guy when the two go scouting together.
- Smug Super: He is loud and boisterous, and likes to call himself a super rookie and constantly refers to how great he is, similar to Sakuragi.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Subverted.He really likes to show off and he openly challenges better players, but he's still a very competent player and deserves to be a Kainan regular.
- Unknown Rival: He openly challenges Rukawa on the court, but gets demolished.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Sakuragi, when they meet off the court.
Voiced by: Nobutoshi CannaSoichiro Jin is the shooting guard of Kainan and one of the best sharpshooters in Kanagawa, matched only by Mitsui.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: He's quiet, relaxed and not flashy at all, but he's Kainan's second best player.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: A realistic variation. He shoots 200 baskets everyday after practice so it's no surprise he's the best three-point shooter in the series.
- The Determinator: His coach notes that most players would have quit basketball after discovering they have no talent for their position. Jin chose another position and became the best at that one.
- Long-Range Fighter: He's less versatile than Mitsui, but his shooting skills are unmatched.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's the Sensitive Guy to Kiyota's Manly Man when the two go scouting together.
- Weak, but Skilled: He wanted to be a center, but his lack of physical strength got him almost booted off the team. He went Determinator and decided to train himself in long shooting.
Voiced by: Shinobu SatouchiYoshinori Miyamasu is known as the sixth man for Kainan.
- Geek Physique: He looks like an Asian Urkel.
- Lethal Joke Character: Small, unimposing, nerdy... and an excellent 3-point shooter.
- Nerd Glasses: The sport glasses he wears on the court are especially notable.
- Underestimating Badassery: His main advantage — His unimposing presence distracts opponents from his basketball skills, especially his reliable three point shooting, the accuracy of which is comparable to Jin's and Mitsui's. Yoshinori plays his first game when he is called in by Coach Riki Takato in order to shut down Sakuragi. Takato correctly deduces that Sakuragi will not take Yoshinori seriously enough to properly mark him, enabling Yoshinori to be effective.
- Weak, but Skilled: An extreme example in both dimensions.
Coach Riki Takato
Voiced by: Masaharu SatoRiki Takato (高頭 力 Takato Riki?) is Kainan's coach and a contemporary of Ryonan's Moichi Taoka, who is a year older than he is. They have known each other since high school.
- Berserk Button: He's usually calm and collected, but he goes apeshit if his team is having a hard time.
- Genre Savvy: He realizes Sakuragi will do his best to improve if faced when a strong opponent, and puts Miyamasu on him.
- Paper Fan of Doom: He can break it if you push his Berserk Button hard enough.
- The Rival: He and Taoka have been rivals for at least twenty years, first as players and then as coaches.
- Team Dad: Kainan'’s training regimen is so tough that it weeds out half the incoming players within the first week, and another half within the first month. After a year, barely a fifth of the new players remain.
Toyotama High School
Voiced by: N/ATsuyoshi Minami is the captain of Toyotama High School and one of the two aces, the other being Kishimoto.
- The Ace: Of his team. He is the top scorer of the district Osaka. He is a good defender and also possesses great 3-point shooting abilities.
- Animal Motifs: Sakuragi calls him "chick-face" after the bird.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: He believes in the "80% offense and 20% defense" system taught by Jiei despite having a new coach to make up for the team's weak defense.
- Broken Ace: After that the former coach Jiei is forced to leave.
- Heel Realization: The night before the match against Sannoh, he gives Rukawa an ointment to help his eye heal.
- Hero Killer: A variant. His nickname is "Ace Killer" for his attempts to injure the opponents ace. He hit Rukawa in the face with his elbow as he once did to Kenji Fujima of Shoyo , leaving him with a black eye for the whole 2nd half of the game.
- Hot-Blooded: He is the most aggressive among the players, even going far as holding their coach to his neck.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: As Minami he believe in this system.
- Jerkass: He is a very arrogant guy who shows no respect to others, except Kitano-sensei. He was even rude against Kainan's Maki.
- Smug Super: Minori is extremely arrogant, brash, violent and short-tempered and is fully aware that he is a good player.
- The Ace: The best one-on-one player in the entire series, able to wipe the floor with Shohoku's Ace Rukawa.
- Adorkable: In contrast to other aces, he's actually pretty goofy.
- Always Someone Better: Proves himself to be even better than Rukawa.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Unless he's being challenged by a Worthy Opponent, he's very easily distracted.
- Brutal Honesty: Towards his former teammates, who he found boring. He suffered a lot for it though.
- Butt Monkey: He mostly brings it on himself though.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite being the best young player in Japan, he's an Adorkable Butt Monkey whenever he's not concentrating on the game.
- Chick Magnet: Kawata mentions that a lot of girls in the school like him.
- Good Counterpart: He's basically the Rukawa of Sannoh. Ironically enough, he's actually much nicer then Rukawa.
- Good Parents: His father completely encourages and supports his passion without being a Sports Dad, and his mother seems to agree.
- Not So Different: He and Rukawa are truly happy only when they are being challenged by a Worthy Opponent. He mentions this during the game.
- Victory Is Boring: Why he decides to move to America after the tournament.
- Worthy Opponent: He has been desperately searching for one without much luck, as the other best players in Japan are his teammates. He finally finds one in Rukawa, and somehow in Sakuragi.
- Aloof Older Brother: Towards his younger brother Mikio. He's probably trying to toughen him.
- Always Someone Better: After losing every one-to-one, Akagi acknowledges that Kawata's level is higher than him.
- Animal Motif: Hanamichi decides he's "another Gorilla, just... more round" and nicknames him "the round Gorilla".
- Big Brother Bully: He sometimes acts deliberately like a Jerk Ass towards his younger brother, who sometimes relies on Masashi a little too much.
- Big Brother Instinct: Despite being a bit of a Big Brother Bully, he's always looking for Mikio and covers for him when he's outmatched.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Sawakita, as well his actual brother.
- Berserk Button: When Sawakita shows off or insults him. He's especially jealous about how popular Sawakita is with girls.
- The Big Guy: He's the regular center of his team.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Bald Gori. Guess who gave him that name.
- Genius Bruiser: His main asset as a center is that he has experience both as a forward and as a guard, making his playstyle extremely well-rounded.
- The Lancer: Plays this role to Sawakita, acting as The Ace of the team when Sawakita is not giving his all.
- Lightning Bruiser: His main strength as a center. It's mentioned that he could easily be a formidable small forward.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Masashi is stern, short tempered, and focused while Mikio is easy going, timid, and easily distracted.
- Stout Strength: He manages to push Sakuragi away during a rebound.
- Worthy Opponent: Akagi considers him this, to the point that he realizes that he needs to give up on defeating Kawata if he wants his team to have a chance to win.
- The Leader: To the point that during the last minute of the game, Sannoh's coach decides not to take a timeout and trusts everything to his judgement.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His Verbal Tics make him seem a pretty strange guy, despite his skill.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: He sometimes starts thinking about which Verbal Tic would sound better during conversations.
- Serious Business: He's even more serious about his speech style then he is at basketball.
- Verbal Tic: He used to say "man" at the end of each sentence, but now he says "yo". (in Japanese, it's respectively "besh" and "pyon").
- Apologizes a Lot: Partly because Masashi's always scolding him.
- The Big Guy: The tallest and largest player of the series.
- Big Little Brother: Literally, though he's overshadowed in every other respect.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Meatball. Provided by Sakuragi.
- Friendly Enemy: With Sakuragi. When Mikio apologizes after he pushes Sakuragi to the ground, Sakuragi actually encourages him to use all his strength.
- Gentle Giant: This actually becomes a weakness, as his playstyle mainly consists of pushing other players away with his body.
- Gonk: While not necessarily the ugliest character in the manga, he's drawn a lot less realistically then the other characters.
- Naïve Newcomer: Notable when he's scolded for talking with opponents during a match, and even laughing to Sakuragi's jokes.
- Nice Guy: He's actually trying to overcome this, as it makes it hard to use all his strength against his opponents.
- Shrinking Violet: Of the Weeping Willow kind. Some would say he's a genderflipped Huge Schoolgirl.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Masashi is stern, short tempered, and focused while Mikio is easy going, timid, and easily distracted.
- Stout Strength: His weight is actually the primary reason why he's so good under the basket.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He can only shoot when he's exactly under the basket, and even then he sometimes misses.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks exactly like his mother.
- The Comically Serious: He's always 100% serious at all times, no matter how trivial the situation.
- Determinator: To the point of parody. He once insisted on finishing through all his exams despite having a severe case of appendicitis.
- Foil: To Mitsui. Mitsui is a very good offensive player but has low stamina, while Ichinokura is a defensive Jack-of-All-Stats with insane stamina.
- Evil Counterpart: He and his direct opponent Mitsui are insane determinators. The only difference is that his specialty lies in defense while Mitsui's is in three-pointers.
- Gradual Grinder: He is this trope personified. He isn't very tall or athletic, but his sheer willpower will tire anyone out.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Between her, Sakuragi and Rukawa. Played for Laughs, obviously.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: One of her first moments has her trying to show Sakuragi some shoots... and ends up face-faulting on the floor, accidentally flashing her panties to Sakuragi.
- Hypocritical Humor: Regardless of how she thinks Rukawa's fangirls are rude to Sakuragi... she's not above lining up to them and cheer on Rukawa doing something cool. This is thankfully just for a few moments and more like Played for Laughs.
- Naïve Everygirl
- Nice Girl: She even befriends Sakuragi despite his horrible reputation.
- Oblivious to Love: She never realizes Sakuragi's crush for her. Lampshaded by Mito.
- Plucky Girl: Not terribly bright in the love fields, but supports her friends with extreme loyalty.
- Tender Tears: She cries a lot during games. YMMV on whether it's Cry Cute or Inelegant Blubbering.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Ayako's Tomboy.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: One in training. Lampshaded by Youhei.
Voiced by: N/AA group of girls who are often seen cheering for Rukawa.
- The Cheerleader: always appear in these outfits.
- Fan Girls: Of Rukawa. For them he is always perfect.
- Flat Character: They're just there in the background, cheering for Rukawa and sometimes insulting Sakuragi.
- Genki Girl: Two of them, the short-haired one and the girl with long hair.
- Girlish Pigtails: The leader.
- Jerk Ass: The three can be pretty annoying, but the leader takes the cake. She even slaps Haruko to the ground when she defends Sakuragi from their bashing.
- No Name Given: We never learn their name, as they're basically part of the background.
- Valley Girls
- Woman in White: Their cheerleader outfits are white.
Voiced by:Sakuragi's gang, also known as The Sakuragi Legion, act like a Greek chorus. It has five members consisting of Hanamichi Sakuragi, Yohei Mito, Chuichirou Noma, Yuji Ohkusu, and Nozomi Takamiya.
Youhei: Toshiyuki Morikawa (JP), Yamil Atala (LA)
Takamiya: Kozo Shioya (JP), Luis Daniel Ramírez (LA)
Noma: Yuji Mikimoto (JP), José Luis Reza (LA)
- Ambiguously Brown: Takamiya could easily pass off as African-American.
- And the Rest: The whole gang is usually referred as "Sakuragi, Youhei, and the others —"Okusu, Takamiya, Noma: OI!!!
- Badass Mustache: Noma.
- Beware the Silly Ones: After they are presented as a bunch of silly kids, they proceed to utterly CurbStomp Mitsui's gang.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Against Mitsui's gangsters. Specially noticeable when Youhei beats the SHIT outta Mitsui himself.
- '80s Hair: Okusu's curly pompadour.
- Fat Bastard: Averted with Takamiya, who may be fat and all but has a heart of gold. Though he can get pretty annoying sometimes, he's still very kindhearted when push comes to shove.
- Gonk: Takamiya.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: All of them show this several times.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Takamiya.
- True Companions: If Sakuragi does need their help, they'll be the first ones to rush to his aid. The fight in the gym was definite proof, as well as their co-joined Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Younger Than They Look: Noma is 15-16 and already has a thick moustache. Lampshaded when one of Mitsui's gangsters calls him "moustache dude".
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka (Japanese), Arturo Mercado (LA)
- Heel–Face Turn: When Mitsui rejoins the basketball club, Hotta gives up on getting revenge on Hanamichi and Rukawa and becomes one of their supporters.
- Jerk Ass: At the beginning, this is his only role.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After the fight between the basketball club and Mitsui's gang, it's shown that he genuinely cares about Mitsui and becomes one of his supporters.
- Taking the Heat: After the fight in the gym, both Norio and Co. as well as Sakuragi's friends lied to the teachers and said that Mitsui wanted to return to the basketball team and they fought over it.
- True Companions: To Mitsui.
Voiced by: Yuko Minaguchi (in the first movie), Machiko Toyoshima (TV series), Cristina Camargo (LA)
- Ascended Extra: In the anime; she only appeared in the first frame of the manga.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Has the looks, is very kind and gentle, gets along well with someone as hard to handle as Sakuragi without much effort, and even if it doesn't work, she tries to stand up to Oda when she realises he's Not Himself.
Voiced by: Hideyuki Umezu (JP), Mario Castañeda (LA)
- Butt Monkey: His multiple failed attempts to get Hanamichi to join his judo club.
- The Captain: Of the Judo Team. And say what you will, he is great at it.
- Comically Missing the Point: He tends to regard Hanamichi's physical prowess to judo, despite Hanamichi never having practiced said sport.
- Hypocrite: Blames Akagi for using Haruko to lure Hanamichi into the basketball team, yet tries to bribe the latter with pictures of their common crush to convince him into joining the judo team.
- Insane Troll Logic: His later appearances mostly follow a pattern: someone, usually Sakuragi, does something; Aouta cites it as proof that he was born to practice judo; he's either called on this trope or completely ignored.
- Lolicon: Sakuragi openly accused him of being this. Not that the photos of young Haruko that he used to try bribing him into the judo club helped.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Akagi, lampshaded more than once. In the anime, during the first time they talk to each other, the background changes color: Aouta's half becomes blue (the "Ao" of his name can mean "blue"), while Akagi's becomes red ("Aka" can mean "red").
- Rousing Speech: Aouta's Crowning Moment of Awesome in the series was giving a rather magnificent one to Akagi during the second Ryonan match. National Judo Trophy included.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Haruko's.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Akagi. They constantly insult each other, but Aouta shows up to encourage Akagi during a decisive match.
- Badass Biker
- The Brute
- First-Name Basis
- Heel–Face Turn: But only after being pummeled by Sakuragi and his friends
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's the only one out of Mitsui's non-Shohoku gangster friends who supports Mitsui's return to basketball.
- Punch Clock Villain: He has no personal beef with the Shohoku basketball team, he's just there to have a fight.
Voiced by: Yuko Nagashima
- Cool Big Sis: She teases her much younger brother Hikoichi a lot and cries when she sees him burst into tears after Ryonan loses to Shohoku.
- Ephebophile: She has a crush on Sendoh, who's 16... barely one year older than her little brother.
- Hot Scoop: A rather cute lady who works as an Intrepid Reporter
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: She sometimes wears a very nice pair of loop earrings.
- Not So Different: She and Hikoichi, despite their age difference. Lampshaded when it turns out they have the same Catch Phrase (which Hikoichi may have picked up from Yayoi) and at least once they delivered it in exactly the same voice tone and with the same expression.
- Plucky Girl: The lady isn't prone to give up on her purposes.
Voiced by: Hirotaka Suzuoki (JP), Genaro Vasquez (LA)
- The Ace: In the anime, he's shown to be this for his team.
- Broken Ace: Nears this in the fillers, due to his pathological need to shake off others's worry about him.
- Ascended Extra: In the anime; he was only mentioned by Youko in the manga, whose crush on him led her to Sakuragi's fiftieth rejection.
- Canon Immigrant: Initially appears in the first movie and after in the anime also.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: His Berserk Button.
- Jerk Ass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Though the movie implies that his Jerk Ass phase comes more from him being barely able to handle the pressure of being a titular in the Takezono team, as Youko recalls him being a genuinely sweet boyfriend before they reached highschool and only then turning sour.
Voiced by: Yumi Touma
- Canon Foreigner: Appears only in the third movie.
- Cute Sports Club Manager: Subverted, she may be the assistant of the coach but acts almost as if she was the coach.
- The Ojou: To the point that she's referred to as "ojousan" (a rather familiar nickname for girls of high status)
- Plucky Girl
Voiced by: Toshio Furukawa
- The Ace
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-American, and looking it.
- Canon Foreigner: Appears only in the third movie
- Chivalrous Pervert: He starts flirting with Ayako and even gets a bit touchy feely, but when Ryota gets super angry he backs off without any hard feeling
- Keet: A rather cheerful and carefree guy... As long as he's not your rival.
Voiced by: Junichi Kanemaru
Voiced by: Akira Ishida
- Canon Foreigner: Appears only in the fourth movie
- Ill Boy: Suffers bone tuberculosis in his left leg, meaning he will not be able to play basketball at least in years.
- Fan Boy: Of his former sempai Rukawa
- The Last Dance: The whole match between his school and Shohoku is this, as this will be his last one before being operated on
- Shrinking Violet
Voiced by: Yoshino Takamori