This page contains information about the characters from the Mr. Driller
games. Beware that spoilers won't be hidden!
The characters' names will be formatted in this style: English Name/Japanese Name
open/close all folders
The middle son of the famous Taizo Hori (a.k.a Dig Dug
) and Masuyo Toby (a.k.a "Kissy" from Alien Sector) and the main character of Mr Driller. Barely just 15 years old, he has been already entitled with the highest rank of driller in the world
. He's actually a really sweet child but he tends to be a little careless.
"How rude! Im a girl! HMMPH!"
Anna is a female
driller about Susumu's age that hails from an Elite Driller school in Germany. She
's also the second highest driller in the world after Susumu. Which makes her The Rival
who wants to steal his title. Despiste all of this She
seems to have a crush on Susumu.She
tends to be mistaken for a boy, a lot, from both the viewers and the characters themselves.
"I'll show you how its done!"
Ataru is Susumu's big brother. A 18 year old rogue driller with no license who ran away from home after he got in a fight with his father, he now holds a grudge against him, although Taizo seems to be totally clueless
Ataru is the kind of guy who always tries to have a "Cool"
air around him.
"Time to watch the legend in action!"
Taizo Hori, originally the hero from the Dig Dug
games, is now the father of 3 children, Masuyo Toby's Ex-husband and the president of the Driller Council. He's already at his forties but by no means is he willing to settle down. For some unknown reason he's despised by his elder son.
For some reason he feels an almost unhealthy love for Egypt, especially for the camels.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Adaptational Badass: He becomes this in Namco X Capcom respectively.
- Anime Hair: Hmm, I think I've seen this before◊.
- Angst? What Angst?
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Is that a "V" or an arrow pointing down?
- Bumbling Dad
- Big Eater:
"Cash you say? does that taste good? I want some too!"
"Oh I think I know what your wish is... is "I want to eat as much as I can" isn't?
"You should try to eat whenever you can!"
"Agh! Im starving! I can't take this anymore, Im going home!"
"School? That won't make your stomach full!"
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Characterization Marches On: in the first Dig Dug games, he was just a guy in white who killed dragons and other stuff with an air pump, for no apparent reason.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Seriously, he's old, but in decent shape.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: During the opening cutscene of Dig Dug DS.
Taizo: Susumu is all they ever talk about these days! I'M the first driller and the honorary chairman. I was about his age when I wrapped the Dig Dug incident all by myself! My drilling skills are second to none, and certainly not Susumu!
- Fearless Fool
- Glass Cannon
- Glory Seeker: In Dig Dug: Digging Strike.
- Henpecked Husband
- Idiot Hero
- Official Couple: With Masuyo.
- Older Than He Looks: Ok, he's actually the oldest member of the team, he's 46 no less!.
- Older and Wiser: Whether he has become "wiser" is questionable.
- Perpetual Smiler: Its REALLY rare to see him with an actual serious face.
- Plucky Comic Relief: And Ataru is starting to become his potential sidekick on this trope.
- Punny Name: His name is a pun of the phrase "Horitai zo!" which means "I want do dig!" in Japanese.
- Significant Birth Date: Taizo was born on January 1st (the first day of the year); the funny thing about this is that his ex-wife Masuyo was born the day right before, on December 31st (The last day of the year).
- Team Dad
- Too Dumb to Live: Seriously, who mistakes MONEY for FOOD?
- Tunnel King
- Walking the Earth: Especially Egypt.
- What the Hell, Dad?
- When I Was Susumu's Age: "I wrapped the whole Dig Dug incident ALL BY MYSELF!!!"
"Let's dig! Woof!
Puchi is Susumu's best friend and lives with him at his house in Endogawa. He was found by Susumu as a puppy and was nursed back to health
. He's a genius dog that can both understand and speak human language. He always brags about how he inherited the ability to find metals underground from his ancestors.
Holinger-Z is a robot constructed by Dr. Z for the purpose of doing drilling work that otherwise would be too dangerous for a human to do, although he's very clumsy and tends to mess things up. He currently lives with Anna, doing her housework.
Usagi is a rabbit-looking alien that originally came from the moon to invade Earth
, but his ship crashed down and he was severely injured. He was next found by Ataru and was nursed back to health. He then decided to follow Ataru to observe this planet a little more.
Keel Sark/Kiiru Saaku
Keel is the leader of the Ankoku/Darkness drillers. His father owned a ninja-themed amusement park that went bankrupt. He's apparently a ninja, or at least he likes to pose as one. He has a tendency to be mean with everyone he knows.
Kowars is the second member of the Ankoku Drillers, he's an android developed by the Driller Laboratory. He's a gentle giant who somehow ended working for the bad guys. He seems to be a big fan of Taizo.
Eguri "Tiara" Hatakeyama
Eguri is the third, last and only female member of the Ankoku drillers. Her drill is oddly attached to the end of a whip. She loathes to be called by her real name
and introduces herself as Tiara. She's emotionally unstable and is madly in love with Ataru.
Dr. Manhole/Manhoru Hakase
The boss of the Ankoku Drillers, Dr. Manhole is an evil scientist who used to be a good guy, but thanks to a series of unfortunate events, he turned evil and now desires to destroy the human race.
Dr. Z/Zetto Hakase
The main scientist of the Driller Laboratories, also the one who designed Susumu and friends' drills and Holinger Z. He's a very kind and supportive man who's always willing to help the drillers in every way he can.
Masuyo "Kissy" Tobi
Masuyo Toby, originally the heroine of the Baraduke battles, she married and divorced Taizo and now is the mother of 3 children. She's now working as a novelist and raising Susumu's young brother Taiyo. She got the nickname "Kissy" for her tendency to kiss people when she gets drunk.