Characters: Last Herald Mage Trilogy
This subsection of the Heralds Of Valdemar Character Sheet
involves characters from the Last Herald-Mage
Vanyel Ashkevron and Companion Yfandes
- All Gays are Promiscuous: Subverted; Vanyel could possibly count his number of lifetime lovers on one hand (no more than two hands) and is basically celibate by the time he reaches his thirties.
- All Gays Are Pedophiles: Is definitely NOT one, but that doesn't stop people from assuming he is in Magic's Promise
- Blessed with Suck: How he feels about his gifts in between getting them and being trained in them. He still sometimes feels this way, but his sense of duty keeps him from too much despair.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Delivers a well-deserved one to his father in Magic's Pawn
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Thanks to Tylendel.
- Doomed by Canon
- Driven to Suicide: Fortunately interrupted both times.
- Heroic BSOD: In Magic's Pawn, after Tylendel's death, and in Magic's Price, after going on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge after being raped by bandits employed by the Big Bad.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Ice Queen: During a large chunk of the first part of Magic's Pawn, with the appropriate metaphors and everything.
- Jerkass Façade: Adopts one after falling in love with Tylendel in order to keep their relationship secret from Vanyel's father.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Much of the point of Magic's Pawn is to coax the gold out of the Jerkass Façade that he constructed to protect himself from being hurt.
- Lover and Beloved: He's twice Stefen's age, and for this reason among others tries very hard to stick strictly to a mentorship role for quite a while, only Stefen isn't having it. Van himself was a Beloved to Tylendel, which meant he depended on his lover for everything. Their closest associates quickly pointed out how unhealthy it was.
- Magic Knight
- May-December Romance: With Stefen.
- Mindlink Mates: With Tylendel and Stefen.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: When his mind-speech first wakes up, he can't shield anyone's thoughts out, so he hears how most of the other Heralds would rather he had died and Tylendel had lived. This leads to him almost being Driven to Suicide, but luckily Yfandes and Savil stop him.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Has enough power that he could potentially level Haven (Valdemar's capital).
- Phrase Catcher: At the beginning of Magic's Promise, he is repeatedly told "You look like hell". Justified in that he does, having just gotten back from a year on the front lines filling in for five other Herald-Mages at once.
- Red Baron: Demon's Bane, Shadow Stalker, The Hero of Stony Tor...
- Reincarnation Romance: With Tylendel/Stefen
- Secret Legacy: He is the ancestor of the Valdemaran royal line and a line of mages in Clan k'Treva.
- Shrouded in Myth: To the later generations. The song Demonsbane (about the battle of Stony Tor) is a good example of his folk hero status. In it he takes on a nobleman backed by a wizard, demons, and thirteen armed men single-handed and wipes the floor with them just to make a point.
- Superpower Lottery: He won it
- Troubled, but Cute
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
- What Beautiful Eyes: Silver ones, which he gets from his mother, along with the rest of his good looks.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Or at least Prematurely Greying Pretty Boy - a side effect of heavy magic use.
Tylendel Frelennye and Companion Gala
Lord Withen Ashkevron
Lady Treesa Ashkevron
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He terrorizes Vanyel in the early parts of the first book, but proves to be a surprisingly decent guy in the subsequent novels.