Page-bottom layout change on the way. Details here.
Causes no change to editing/formatting of articles. This is just FYI.
Characters: Black Butler Anime Only
Warning, this page contains spoilers.
open/close all folders
Angela Blanc /Ash Landers
A demonic hound who somehow wandered into the human world, encountered by Ciel and company during a visit to the city of Houndmoor. Subsequently captured and brought back to the Phantomhive estate as a new pet.
- Big Friendly Dog: In a manner of speaking.
- The Brute: Pluto is this To Ash/Angela.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Sebastian kicks him around, he becomes a docile and obedient pet to the Phantomhive estate.
- Dogs Are Dumb: In a meta sort of way; while he seems bright for a dog, he has only a dog's mind despite the fact he is a demon who can shapeshift into human form.
- Heel-Face Turn: Pluto left the side of Ash/Angela and joined the Phantomhive family out of love towards Sebastian.
- Hell Hound: Seems like the Hunter type.
- Human Shifting: His natural form is a giant, silver-white-furred wolfdog, but he can assume a human's body. Unfortunately, his mind remains that of an ordinary dog.
- Innocent Fanservice Boy: Because he only has a dog's mind, he doesn't understand that being human means he should wear clothes.
- Killed Off for Real: Near the end of the first season Pluto was killed by Finny, Mey-Rin, and Baldroy so as to stop him from burning all of London down. Also a literal case of Shoot the Dog.
- Naked on Arrival: After changing to human form.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Double subverted, when the Phantomhives go to put on a play, he's sitting down like a human and drinking tea, then immediately goes back to his usual dog like self.
- Playing with Fire: Especially when commanded by Ash/Angela.
- Shout-Out: Take out the demon-change-to-human part, and you get the other dog named Pluto.
- They Have the Scent: Used to track Lizzie when Drocell had her.
"Look at you! You're so filthy! You look just like a drowned rat!
- Bad Boss: To his servants. Regularly berates, or in Hannah's case, physically assaults them.
- Bishōnen: Being a year older than Ciel, he could qualify for either trope.
- Bodyguard Crush: Inverted, he has a (quite obvious) one on Claude.
- Cannot Spit It Out: By this point it is pretty obvious he is in love with Claude. However, even right before Claude kills him, he still never directly says that he loves him.
- Changeling Fantasy: Claims that this is what happened to him as an infant, and the priest in the first episode even mentions that he claims to have been abducted by actual fairies.
- The Chessmaster
- Creepy Child: Much more so than Ciel.
- Cute and Psycho: And holy goddamned shit HOW!
- Dark and Troubled Past: His whole village was killed, including the only person he cared about at the time (Luca, who supposedly was his brother, although it is unknown whether they were blood-related or not). He was then taken and used as a sex slave for the head of the Trancy manor. Then he met Claude.
- Deal with the Devil: With Claude. It doesn't end well for Alois.
- Decoy Protagonist: The first episode of season 2 is set up so you might think he's taken over Ciel's role, including a brand new opening sequence with him at the center. It's not until the very end of the episode that this is proved wrong.
- Depraved Homosexual: Rape and Switch, possibly.
- Desperately Craves Affection: Unfortunately for him none of the servants he has are really equipped to provide it.
- Dying Alone: Even more of a Tear Jerker due to the fact that it was Claude, the only person he seemed to care about, who killed him.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: When he wore his maid's clothes.
- Et Tu, Brute?: At the end of episode 8, Claude offs him before their contract was even complete. Then again, the fact that he didn't save him from getting stabbed by Ciel earlier could also fit this trope.
- Evil Brit: This takes place in Britain after all.
- Expy: Ladies and Gentlemen, Lio Shirazumi's equally depraved 14-year old son! I mean, think about it. These two look rather similar, blonde hair and all, they crossdress, turned evil due to a crush they had (for Lio, with Shiki, for Alois, with Claude), they are Ambiguously Gay towards a certain character (Mikiya Kokutou/Ciel Phantomhive) and have... disturbing fetishes... with Shiki Ryougi/Ciel Phantomhive to the point where they even start licking them and comparing themselves to them. And they threaten their Morality Pet loved ones (Mikiya Kokutou/Elizabeth Middleford) and practically have horrid backstories that make you feel bad for them until...
- Eye Scream: Performed on an undeserving maid. With his fingers. To impress Claude, apparently.
- Foil: Of Ciel, along with Shadow Archetype. Lampshaded at one point when it's pointed out that Alois' story (disappears mysteriously and then reappears with an equally mysterious black butler) seems awfully familiar.
- Forgiveness: It's implied that he was able to forgive Claude that the latter killed him, as Hannah mentioned that she, Claude, Alois and Luca can all be together in nirvana.
- Freudian Excuse: His foster family died in front of him, from unknown supernatural means, including his adoptive brother and only friend. When he was delivered back to his father after a life of what could be equated to slavery, the man raped and beat him.
- So it seems. However, in episode 8, his true backstory is revealed: he is really an orphan named Jim Macken. In his childhood, he and his younger brother Luca got by as thieves. After all the people in his village mysteriously died (including Luca), he was sent to the Trancy household to be a sex slave. This is where he formed a contract with Claude, and inherited the Trancy household fortune by using Claude to off old man Trancy and declaring himself heir.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: An evil variation. It gets so bad that eventually he doesn't care whether it's Claude, and sells his soul to Hannah instead because she was pretty much the first person since Luca to earnestly say "I love you".
- I Owe You My Life: Subverted. He would owe Claude his life, in a very literal sense (as with Ciel towards Sebastian), except that Claude killed him in episode 8. However, he came back to life in episode 10, but it is unclear if he still has a contract with Claude, and therefore it is also unclear if he still owes him his life.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: What he did to Earl Trancy. While you can definitely argue that the guy needed killing, after that it's just downhill for Alois.
- Kill the Cutie
- Leitmotif: The Slightly Chipped Full Moon and its variations.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Though he got what he wanted in the form of the Trancy estate he's incredibly lonely, and most of his acting out is a symptom of this.
- Love Makes You Evil: Poking out Hannah's eye...to impress Claude, apparently.
- Naked on Arrival: His very first scene is him naked having just gotten out of bed with Earl Trancy.
- No Sense of Personal Space: The very first time he and Ciel are in the same room together he gets way too close and starts licking him.
- Nouveau Riche: He flaunts his money and doesn't rally seem to care, as seen by the first episode when he tosses bills and bills of money down to his "uncle".
- Please Don't Leave Me: Performed on Claude. Claude still killed him.
- Rags to Riches: Started off as an orphan, but inherited the Trancy estate and became an Earl. Of course, the means by which he got it in terms of both what was done to him and what he did are hardly an inspiring story.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Claude's Blue Oni. Can also be considered the Red Oni to Ciel's Blue Oni.
"Passion to calm, hesitation to resolve, love to gravestones. That is the Trancy butler.
- Mind Rape: After he killed Alois, Claude abducted Ciel, drugged him, practically drowned him, and overall completely screwed with his mental state to the point of semi-hypnotism to accomplish his goals.
- Meaningful Name: Claude Faustus.
- The Oathbreaker: Sorry, Alois.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He's got a real talent for crocheting, as episode 9 of the season 2 shows. Though that may be playing with the fact that he's a spider demon.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Alois's Red Oni.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has dark skin and light blue hair. Justified since she's not actually human.
- Anti-Villain: Type II.
- Bag of Holding/Hyperspace Arsenal : She IS one.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Against a freaking chainsaw, no less. Justified by the fact that she's a demon.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: One of the two reasons she becomes attached to Luka. Hannah notes that he was genuinely excited that she appeared to him to grant his wish and that, upon his death, he was the first soul to have ever expressed gratitude towards her for granting their wish. She was mournful in his death.
- Benevolent Boss: It is revealed in "Crossroads Butler" that the triplets actually serve Hannah when we see them groom her and assist her burning down Luka's and Alois' village in a flashback. In "Spider's Intentions", she is shown treating them gently, placing flowers in their hair, with the triplets seeming quite fond of her preferring her over Claude.
- Body Horror: In episode 10, she opens her mouth disgustingly wide to give Ciel a look at Alois' eye that she stole, which stares back at him from seemingly an abyss inside her.
- Butt Monkey: In her very first scene, Alois gets annoyed with her and gouges her eye out. This pretty well sets the tone for her subsequent scenes.
- Clothing Damage: A lot. Usually at Alois' hands.
- Expy: Arguably, of Angela. Both have white hair, look vulnerable at first, are actually stronger than they look and very manipulative and have crossed the limits of their own species (one is a Fallen Angel and the other is a demon with feelings).
- Eye Scream: The unfortunate(?) victim.
- Then she redirects it by swallowing Alois's eye and keeping it in the back of her mouth so his soul can use it to take over Ciel's body.
- Fanservice: Although to some, with the amount of eroguro that she becomes involved with, it could be Fan Disservice.
- Flower in Her Hair: Has a hair ornament that resembles one. Was also shown to have an actual flower when she contracted with Luca
- Girl With Psychoweapon: Even worse than the giant gun she keeps hidden somewhere is the massive sword she keeps literally inside her.
- Go-Go Enslavement: Several of the outfits Alois has her wear.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Shown to be jealous of Alois' love for Claude in "Spider's Intention". This is understandable considering that she has Alois' best interests at heart while Claude does not.
- If You Do Anything To Hurt Him: Said to Claude in "Spider's Intention" in regards to Alois since she's aware of Claude's more....devious nature. She doesn't get to finish her line though since Claude's already pinned her to a tree and starts to assault and ridicule her.
- Love Martyr: It pays off in the end though.
- Mad Love: For Alois. No matter how much he hurts her, she wouldn't think of leaving him, since she absorbed Luca's love for him.
- And he finally reciprocates her love when he finds out that she's always loved him and nothing more but the best for him.
- Ninja Maid: Can be a decent fighter when prompted.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: While we were all busy feeling sorry for the poor girl with one eye, she went and OutGambitted everybody in the show by having Alois' soul take over Ciel's body. Then she took both Ciel's and Alois's souls, forcing Sebastian and Claude into a duel over the former's, before making Ciel into a demon so that they both lose anyway.
- Rapunzel Hair: Usually keeps it bound in a braid, but it easily reaches her ankles.
- The Reveal: Hannah was the one who made the contract that took Luca's soul, and she came to serve him alongside Claude because she and Luca both wanted to be near Alois.
- Spell My Name with an S: Depending on the subs, it's either "Anafeloz" or "Annafellows".
- Tears from a Stone: Demons aren't exactly emotionless but you do not make one cry easily.
- Trouser Space: Where she seems to store a... rather large machine gun.
- Undying Loyalty: To Alois/ Jim Macken and his younger brother Luka.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Hannah was a typical, uncaring demon until she was summoned by Luca. His naivety and selfless reason for selling his soul shook her immensely, to the point where she became Alois's servant just to be close to him for Luca's soul.
- You gotta have silver hair
- Your Soul Is Mine: In the end, SHE ends up with Luca AND Alois' souls. They're pleased.
Thompson, Timber and Canturbury
"None of your business." "My cowlick spins to the left." "My cowlick spins to the right."
"I made a contract with a demon!
"Therefore, I reason for a superior present to be given to a very dear person, the most suitable thing would be your very self.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: He changes the lyrics in My Fair Lady, more commonly known as London Bridge Is Falling Down, to whatever he plans to use in the creation of their doll. It also controls the dolls he's already made.
- This is actually based on a longer version of the song, in which the bridge is rebuilt with the different materials he uses for dolls, but they all fail to stay up somehow
- Organ Grinder: Which plays My Fair Lady, sometimes it plays by itself.
- Razor Floss: Deals with someone with this.
- Stalker With/Without A Crush: Drocell is adamant to capture Ciel and convert him into one of his puppets "made from silver and gold."
- Undying Loyalty: Drocell's devotion to his master is absolute, even when Sebastian splits his head open and spills the straw filling his head. He still gets up to report on the intruders and his own failure before collapsing dead.
Voiced by: Ao Takahashi (JP), Leah Clark (EN)