The game features the most popular characters as playables. Gameplay-wise, it uses four buttons: Weak, Medium and Strong attacks, and a special button, unique for each character. Naturally, as anything based on a comedy manga, this game doesn't take itself very seriously, and the characters sport comedic, and sometimes silly, moves and fighting styles while throwing the occasional Shout-Out to the manga series.
- The main cast: Chiyo Mihama (Chiyo-chan), Sakaki, Tomo Takino, Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara, Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga and Kagura.note
- Unlockables: Yukari Tanizaki, Minamo "Nyamo" Kurosawa, Chiyo-chichi and Kamineko.
- Adaptational Badass: Azumanga Daioh is not precisely remembered for having anything to do with combat, and still there they are, as powerful characters in a Fighting Game.
- Ascended Meme: Osaka has a super that recreates an infamous incident of the manga: She goes sleepwalking towards her opponent and, if the move connects, she assaults her brandishing a knife.
- Assist Character: Sakaki has help from Kaorin (Who really admires her), as in one of Sakaki's supers, Kaorin appears to temporarily blind the opponent with the flash of a camera, leaving her wide open for a brief instant. And she's also assisted by Mayaa (A cat who became attached to Sakaki) in another super. Chiyo can call Tadakichi-san, her family's dog, for some special moves.
- Badass Adorable: The main cast by virtue of being playable characters in a Fighting Game, but Cheerful Child Chiyo stands high above.
- Badass Teacher: Yukari and Nyamo, by virtue of being playable.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: Various attacks involve the girl changing clothes for a very brief instant: for example, one of Tomo's supers has her changing clothes to those of a police-officer, and firing a Wave-Motion Gun from her fingers; and Sakaki has a super where she changes clothes to a kimono, and fires a crossbow to her opponent.
- Cute Bruiser: Being schoolgirls, the main cast counts like this, however, Kagura stands high among the others, as she heavily focuses on straight blows and fast punches to fight.
- Fatal Fireworks: One of Yukari's supers has her lighting fireworks, and throwing them at her opponent.
- Improbable Weapon User: All over the place, but Tomo takes the cake, as she can throw folded paper planes and cans of soda as projectiles, and smacks opponents with her schoolbag.
- Joshikousei: Naturally, considering the manga this game is based on; the girls normally wear their school uniforms, but can change clothes in rapid succession to use their special moves.
- Kick Chick: Sakaki mostly relies on kicks to fight.
- Killer Rabbit: Kamineko, who is a cat. And his superpowered version, called Nightmare Cat, takes it to the extreme. Mayaa counts as well.
- Lady in Red: One of Tomo's moves has her changing clothes to a long, red dress, and perform a fast flying kick.
- Lethal Joke Character: Kamineko and Chiyo-chichi. The height of the former makes him hard to land a hit on, and the latter is just a floating yellow cat, his attack have short range, but with good combos and deadly super moves.
- Limit Break: Burst Mode can be triggered by having 5 levels of super bar, and with the character at low health. With Burst Mode active, the characters gain access to unlimited supers, as well as their ultimate move.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Osaka uses one of these for various special moves.
- SNK Boss: Nightmare Cat, who is a permanently Burst Moded version of Kamineko; he can spam his Supers with reckless abandon and, being a cat, his height makes it very hard to land a hit on him.
- Token Adult: Yukari and Nyamo are the only adult characters among a cast of schoolgirls.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Compared to the other (human) characters, Yukari's fighting style is the least polished, focusing more in throwing unrefined punches and kicks, stomping on her opponent and, in general, hitting as strong as possible.