Ultraman Dyna is a tokusastsu series that ran from 1997 to 1998, part of the Ultra franchise. It functions as a sequel series to Ultraman Tiga, set seven years after the series' end. Mars and other worlds are being terraformed and a new team, Super GUTS, has been made to combat various threats. Shin Asuka, a light-hearted member of the team, becomes Dyna's host when the alien Spheres come to invade Mars. Now, he fights for the Neo Frontier whenever he is needed, either as a Super GUTS agent or as Ultraman Dyna.
A film set during the series, entitled Ultraman Tiga and Ultraman Dyna: The Warriors of Starlight was produced. Dyna/Asuka also returns in the later films Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends and Ultraman Saga.
Ultraman Dyna provides examples of the following tropes:
- Big Bad: The Spheres.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite his immaturity, Asuka is a capable and courageous fighter.
- Combining Mecha: Smaller Vehicles to Bigger Vehicle kind with the Super GUTS Machines, Alpha-go, Beta-go and Gamma-go combining to become the GUTS Eagle.
- Dark Is Evil: Fake Dyna's Solgent Ray has dark color.
- Disappeared Dad: Asuka's father disappeared years ago in a mysterious light. He is joined by Asuka in the final episode.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Miracle Type provides this.
- Eldritch Abomination: Gransphere, the final form of the Spheres and an unbelievably massive Planet Eater. Making it even more so is it appears more as a living black hole most of the time than anything remotely normal. Even when its true nature is seen, it's distorted and warped compared to the normal ones, constantly shifting. When it's finally killed (after eating most of the solar system), it's death opens up a dimensional rift and Dyna spends quite some time wandering the multiverse after being sucked in.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Alien Gregorl thought he could replace Dyna should he beat Dyna in a Curb-Stomp Battle, and got really confused when people start to cheer for losing Dyna.
- Evil Knockoff: A well-intentioned but misguided variation with Terranoid. An artificial Ultraman created under the F-plan of TPC in order to eliminate dependency on Dyna. Terranoid's body gets taken over by the Spheres and was used as a weapon.
- Henshin Hero
- Humongous Mecha: Mountain Gulliver n°5
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to Ultraman Tiga.
- Mighty Glacier: Strong type.
- Mirror Match / Evil Twin: Alien Gregorl took form as Fake Dyna.
- Monster of the Week
- Multiform Balance: Dyna has three forms: Flash type (base state), Miracle Type (multiplication powers) and Strong Type (increased strength).
- Plucky Comic Relief: Shin Asuka functions as this, the first protagonist in the Ultra Series to do so.
- Role Reprisal: Many actors from Ultraman Tiga reprise their characters in this series, including Hiroshi Nagano and Takami Yoshimoto appearing as Daigo and Rena in the finale
- Sequel Series
- Terraform: The Neo Frontier is a project to colonize the solar system.
- Transformation Trinket: The Reflasher.