Mars and other worlds are being terraformed and a new team, Super GUTS, has been made to combat various threats. Shin Asuka, a light-hearted member of the team, becomes Dyna's host when the alien Spheres come to invade Mars. Now, he fights for the Neo Frontier whenever he is needed, either as a Super GUTS agent or as Ultraman Dyna.
A film set during the series, entitled Ultraman Tiga and Ultraman Dyna: Warriors of the Star of Light was produced. Dyna/Asuka also returns in the later films Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends and Ultraman Saga.
Ultraman Dyna provides examples of the following tropes:
- Big Bad: The Spheres provides the main conflicts throughout the series.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite his immaturity, Asuka is a capable and courageous fighter.
- The Cameo: Several characters from Booska! Booska!! briefly appear in the post-series special Ultraman Dyna: The Return Of Hanejiro.
- Combining Mecha: Smaller Vehicles to Bigger Vehicle kind with the Super GUTS Machines, Alpha-go, Beta-go and Gamma-go combining to become the GUTS Eagle.
- Dark Is Evil: Fake Dyna's Solgent Ray has a dark color, compared to Ultraman Dyna's usual Solgent Ray.
- Disappeared Dad: Asuka's father disappeared years ago in a mysterious light. He is joined by Asuka in the final episode.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Miracle Type allows Dyna to split into copies of himself to attack his enemies.
- Eldritch Abomination: Gransphere, the final form of the Spheres and an unbelievably massive Planet Eater. Making it even more so is it appears more as a living black hole most of the time than anything remotely normal. Even when its true nature is seen, it's distorted and warped compared to the normal ones, constantly shifting. When it's finally killed (after eating most of the solar system), its death opens up a dimensional rift and Dyna spends quite some time wandering the multiverse after being sucked in.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Alien Gregorl thought he could replace Dyna should he beat Dyna in a Curb-Stomp Battle, and got really confused when people start to cheer for losing Dyna.
- Evil Knockoff: A well-intentioned but misguided variation with Terranoid, an artificial Ultraman created under the F-plan of TPC in order to eliminate dependency on Dyna. Terranoid's body gets taken over by the Spheres and is used as a weapon.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to the previous installment, Ultraman Tiga. The main character is an immature Manchild, there are more Breather Episode between serious story arcs, and the tone is generally more light-hearted.
- Mighty Glacier: Strong type gives Dyna greater strength, but slows down his speed.
- Mirror Match: Alien Gregorl took form as Fake Dyna.
- Monster of the Week: As per the norm for the Ultra series.
- Multiform Balance: Dyna has three forms: Flash type (base state), Miracle Type (multiplication powers) and Strong Type (increased strength).
- Sequel Series: To Ultraman Tiga.
- Terraform: The Neo Frontier is a project to colonize the solar system.
- Transformation Trinket: The Reflasher allows Shin Asuka to transdform into Ultraman Dyna.