The Inmates of Summer
SpongeBob and Patrick accidentally board a ship full of prisoners heading to a prison camp, but they are oblivious to the fact that it's a prison.
The Inmates of Summer contains examples of:
- An Aesop: Be aware of your surroundings.
- Book-Ends: The episode starts and ends with SpongeBob and Patrick bursting into tears.
- Dramatic Irony: SpongeBob and Patrick are completely oblivious they got on the wrong ship and are at a prison camp instead of the intended Camp Sun and Fun.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The prison warden. Complete with being voiced by R. Lee Ermey.
- For Want of a Nail: SpongeBob and Patrick wouldnt have experienced the plot in the first place if they didnt cry the entire time and miss the ship setting off.
- Idiot Ball: SpongeBob actually sees the summer camp boat, but he misunderstands it as a different "boring" boat. Granted, SpongeBob is never the smartest, but even he shouldn't be this clueless.
- Mistaken for Badass: The fact that SpongeBob and Patrick enjoy all the treatment the prison warden gives causes the other inmates to think "These guys are tough."
- Prison Episode
- Special Guest: R. Lee Ermey.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: SpongeBob and Patrick are dumber than usual here.
- Too Kinky to Torture: SpongeBob and Patrick actually enjoy all the horrible treatment and punishments the prison warden gives them. Ironically it's when they are brought to the summer camp to make arts and crafts that the two suffer and complain that they like the other island better.
To Save a Squirrel
SpongeBob and Patrick follow Sandy in her camping trip, but when they get separated and find a dark cave with no food, it becomes "to eat or be eaten".
To Save a Squirrel contains examples of:
- Arc Words: Eat or be eaten.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: While talking with Patrick, SpongeBob becomes paranoid that Patrick is planning to eat him.SpongeBob: Sounds like you're hungry.Patrick: Oh, boy, am I! I'm soooooo hungry, I could eat anything! I could eat an entire sponge...SpongeBob: (screams and runs away)Patrick: ...cake. (pulls out a yellow sponge cake) I was just going to share my golden sponge cake with him. It has delicious cream filling too!
- Hollywood Voodoo: Squidward tries to torture SpongeBob and Patrick with two voodoo dolls in their likenesses, then gets frustrated when they don't work.
- Horrible Camping Trip: After falling out of Sandy's truck, SpongeBob and Patrick are left to fend for themselves. Patrick immediately ruins things by burning their food and tent and wasting their water.
- Insult Backfire: A flashback shows Squidward telling SpongeBob and Patrick that they're harder to get rid of than cockroaches. They insist to Sandy that Squidward was complimenting them on their survival skills.
- No Party Like a Donner Party. Parodied. Realizing that they are starving without food, SpongeBob and Patrick resort to trying to eat each other.
- Time Passes Montage: One occurs when SpongeBob and Patrick are left alone without food and water, and become driven to insanity.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Seen on SpongeBob when he starts to go insane from the lack of food and water.