SpongeBob gets a black eye and tells everyone that he got it from fighting a western-styled villain. He really got it from trying to open a tube of toothpaste.
Blackened Sponge contains examples of:
- An Aesop: When you get injured, its important to tell the truth of how your ailment came to be.
- Chained to a Railway: SpongeBob dreams of saving a Distressed Damsel who Jack M. Crazyfish tied to a railroad.
- Corpsing: Gary struggles not to laugh after SpongeBob tells him how he got his black eye.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Jack M. Crazyfish, who in SpongeBob's dream, ties damsels in distress to railroad tracks and cheats at RockPaperScissors. SpongeBob initially makes up and brags about a story involving Crazyfish to explain his black eye, which actually occurred when SpongeBob tried to use a monkey wrench to remove a toothpaste cap.
- Subverted when Crazyfish appears, only for SpongeBob to confess that he made up the incident to avoid looking foolish. It turns out Crazyfish just wanted to see SpongeBob because SpongeBob makes really good Krabby Patties. When SpongeBob spills a deluxe Krabby Patty with extra cheese on Crazyfish's suit, they settle things with a quick game of RockPaperScissors.
- Dream Intro: The episode begins with SpongeBob dreaming.
- Eye Scream: Features several depictions of SpongeBob getting jabbed in the eye, resulting in a black eye.
- Foreshadowing: When SpongeBob tells Sandy that he got his black eye from Jack M. Crazyfish, she reacts in shock, hinting that he's a real person and not a figment of SpongeBob's imagination.
- Real After All: SpongeBob is terrified when he sees Jack M. Crazyfish is a real person.
- Shout-Out: SpongeBob uses Krust toothpaste, which could be a parody of Crest toothpaste.
- Tempting Fate: When complaining about SpongeBob being late for work, Mr. Krabs grumbles that he hopes that SpongeBob's been in a horrible accident for his sake. Cue SpongeBob walking through the front doors with a swollen black eye.
- Top-Heavy Guy: SpongeBob in his dream.
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob
Plankton hypnotizes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy into wreaking havoc at the Krusty Krab.
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob contains examples of:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- Did Not Think This Through: When Plankton finally brings customers into his restaurant.Fish: So where's the food?Plankton: (beat) Oh yeah... (goes into the kitchen) I never thought I'd get this far.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: There are several close up shots of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's old features when Plankton tries to flatter them.
- Metronomic Man Mashing: Mermaid Man does this to SpongeBob with his move, The Spine Baster.
- Mind-Control Device: Professor Plankton's Mind Control Shampoo (with conditioner).
- Mind-Control Eyes: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy have these while being controlled by Plankton.
- Parody Product Placement: Hostess Fruit Pie ads are parodied with the "Krusty Kids Meal" commercial at the beginning of the episode.Man Ray: How can I be evil with flavors this good?