Airdate: April 11, 2008
SpongeBob is upset that he doesn't have any famous relatives like his friends. Wanting to help, Sandy helps SpongeBob search through his family tree. There he learns of his ancestor SpongeBuck Squarepants, who saved Bikini Bottom from being taken over by Dead Eye Plankton.
"Pest of the West" contains examples of:
- All There in the Script: The names of Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff's ancestors are not mentioned in the show, but revealed in the credits:
- Patrick: Pecos Patrick Star
- Squidward: Hopalong Tentacles
- Mr. Krabs: William Krabs
- Mrs. Puff: Polene Puff
- Coattail-Riding Relative: Patrick believes the best part of having a famous relative is not having to accomplish anything because the famous relative already did it and that eliminates the pressure.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: Dead Eye leaves Hopalong, Krabs, and Puff in their underwear after literally taking the clothes off their back.
- Cowboy Episode: The episode has all the trappings of a typical western.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Dead Eye Plankton, complete with a whip and a curly moustache.
- Drunk on Milk: SpongeBuck orders "A shot...of milk, two percent" at the Krusty Kantina, to which Hopalong replies, "Think you can handle it?"
- Framing Device: The events are told in flashback by Sandy as she and SpongeBob research his history.
- Friendship Song: "Idiot Friends"
- Huddle Power: Subverted. SpongeBuck huddles the citizens together to whisper a plan, which is only heard in whispering noises.Hopalong: Uh, SpongeBuck, why do you keep saying bzbzbzbzbzbzb?SpongeBuck: Umm...Hopalong: You don't have a plan, do you?SpongeBuck: No. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get this far.
- Literal-Minded: Dead Eye tries to threaten SpongeBuck by telling him that sheriffs are also known as "coffin jockeys" around Dead Eye Gulch. SpongeBuck runs off, only to show up riding a coffin in a jockey outfit.
- Meaningful Rename: Bikini Gulch was renamed Dead Eye Gulch when Dead Eye Plankton seized control.
- Offstage Villainy: Dead Eye Plankton has a surprisingly large body count for the show. Although their deaths are off-screen, enough sheriffs have been killed that Dead Eye Gulch requires two separate cemeteries.
- Shaking the Rump: Dead Eye Plankton does this after stealing everything in town.