The game takes players through the first five seasons of the show, and the player's objective is to become the Boss. This is accomplished by completing various tasks, such as cracking the Safe, finishing the Food, burying bodies in the Meadowlands, and getting the Super Jackpot from Tony's yacht. Collect money envelopes and pay tribute, burn down Artie Bucco's restaurant, find the hidden bugs in Tony's office, make a Truck Heist, then unwind with a Party at the Bing. This is accompanied by ongoing chatter from Tony, Carmela, Uncle Junior, Silvio, Dr. Melfi, Big Pussy, and Tony's talking Fish.
The Sopranos pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Adjustable Censorship: The amount of profanity in the game can be changed by setting the Adult Mode to "Off", "On", or "Moderate".
- Cluster F-Bomb: When the game is left uncensored, its audio is liberally dotted with profanity.
- Disposing of a Body: Shoot the ball up the Meadowlands lane to get rid of dead bodies.
- Logo Joke: Whenever you start an episode, the DMD displays static that clears up and you hear the noises of the HBO "static" logo that precedes every actual Sopranos episode.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: The Shakedown features two enforcers repeatedly kicking a victim on the ground.
- Recursive Canon: You're playing through the exploits of the Soprano family... which includes completing Episodes from the HBO television show The Sopranos.
- Safe Cracking: Hit the Safe on the playfield to crack it open, then shoot underneath it to collect the Safe Bonus.
- Score Multiplier: Unlike most pinball games, spelling R-I-P can advance the bonus multiplier by 1x, 2x, or 3x, depending on who the deceased character was.
- Spelling Bonus: Spelling R-I-P on the top rollover tombstones pays respect to the fallen and advances the bonus multiplier.
- Video Mode: The "Executive Game", a poker match. The display shows two hands of cards for yourself and the dealer, with five cards shared between them and three exposed initially. You can either bet points or fold on successive reveals.
- Wizard Mode: Appropriately enough, this is "Boss", which is enabled after performing all eight tasks and rising up to the Underboss. To win the mode, you have to hit both Truck Heists, the Bada Bing!, the extra ball lane, and the Meadowlands three times, then collect the Super Jackpot.