Tinashe Jorgenson Kachingwe (born February 6, 1993), known mononymously as Tinashe, is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, dancer, actress, director, and former model. She began her entertainment career at the age of 3 when she began modeling and acting. In 2012, Tinashe released two critically acclaimed mixtapes, In Case We Die and Reverie, which she created in her home studio. After the release of the mixtapes, Tinashe signed with RCA Records. She released her third mixtape, Black Water, on November 26, 2013, and her debut solo album Aquarius, on October 7, 2014. Her debut single, "2 On", was released in January 2014. The song stayed at number 1 on the Rhythmic Top 40 for over 4 consecutive weeks, and peaked at number 24 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, becoming her first Top 40 hit single.
Tinashe made her acting debut in the television film Cora Unashamed in 2000. In 2004, Tinashe appeared in box-office hit The Polar Express alongside actor Tom Hanks, providing the motion capture for the female protagonist. From 2008 to 2009, Tinashe had a recurring role in American sitcom Two and a Half Men as Celeste, Jake's girlfriend.
- Aquarius (2014)
- Nightride (2016)
- Joyride (2018)
- Songs for You (2019)
- In Case We Die (2012)
- Reverie (2012)
- Black Water (2013)
- Amethyst (2015)
- Comfort & Joy (2020)
- Auto Erotica: "Ride of Your Life" is about having sex in a car, with loads of Sexual Euphemisms and Double Entendres.Back seat, we can start at the foreplay
Whip it, gas it, clutch it, park it
Grab it, steer it, donuts, oh
Love it how I do it, dont ya?
Everybody wanna roll
- Bookends: The opening and closing tracks on In Case We Die both contain the lyrics "I'm faded as a motherfucker right now".
- Call-and-Response Song: The chorus of "Die A Little Bit" has Ms Banks and Tinashe saying the same line back to each other in slightly different contexts..
- Destructive Romance: "Wildfire" is about the end of a horrible relationship; the lyrics include metaphors like poison, burning, wildfire, gasoline and bullets.You're poison running through my veins
End it with a spark into a pool of gasoline
Wildfire, flames rising
Hit me like a bullet
Finger on the trigger, pull it, pull it
Wildfire, burn baby, burn for me
- Foreign Language Title: Song "C'est La Vie" has a French title by an American singer.
- Friends with Benefits: "Company" is about casual sex without love and commitment.I just need a moment, fuck and leave
You can say you had it all, no strings
I don't need the loving
So don't make this something
I'm nothing like a girlfriend
- Genre Shift: All of her albums and mixtapes have primarily been dark, alternative R&B, but starting in 2015 she's released some pure pop singles, such as "Player", "Superlove" and "Flame". She dabbles with both of these genres on "Songs For You", with some Trap Music added in as well.
- Last Note Nightmare:
Come to me...
- "Sacrifices" fades into silence at the end... for a few seconds, then suddenly Tinashe whispers "I will not be ignored" before cutting right to...
- ...The extended version of "Company". After the last chorus, the outro plays normally like in the single version, but instead of ending there the melody abruptly and dramatically slows down and Tinashe sings some additional lyrics with pitched-down vocals.
- Melismatic Vocals: Shows up on a number of her songs, such as "My High" which has multiple long vocal runs from the top to the bottom of her range.
- Miniscule Rocking: "Indigo Child", "High Speed Chase" and "Ain't Good For Ya" all clock in at about one minute. All three are called interludes, but they all have lyrics and distinct subject matter like the other songs on their respective albums.
- Money Fetish: The first verse of "Sacrifices" talks about having sex on top of a pile of money.
- Ode to Intoxication: "2 On" is, in Tinashe's words, all about "getting a little too hype, or a little too buzzed, or just feeling a little TOO good!" She apparently made the song in celebration of turning 21 (legal drinking age in the US).I love to get on, I love to get 2 on
When the drink be too strong, when the tree be way too strong
Get faded, turn up, pour it on up 'til I can't even think no more
Get ratchet, go dumb, then go more dumb, then we can keep it lit, let's roll