Midnight Secretary is a Josei manga series by Ohmi Tomu about a conservative secretary, Satozuki Kaya, who is appointed private secretary of notorious lecher Director Touma Kyouhei of the Touma company.
One night, she stays late at work chances to witness one of his liasons and sees him drinking the woman's blood. He taunts her, and she throws herself into organizing his blood drinking: his "meals," including picking out gifts for his women. Eventually (because this is a vampire series and we all know what's coming) Kyouhei drinks Kaya's blood and becomes addicted to it, but struggles with his feelings even as Kaya realizes hers.
Romance goes here, guys.
- The Baby Trap: At end of the series, when it's confirmed that Kaya is pregnant, she fears this is what Kyouhei will think. He doesn't.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Kyouhei has outright hid information from Kaya, just so she'll worry and squirm more because it's more amusing to him than to tell her. He's not especially violent and does know how to take no for an answer but their relationship is half mind game and half love affair.
- Betty and Veronica: With Kyouhei as the (inevitably victorious) Veronica to Takasu's Betty.
- Girl Friday: Ridiculously so, even offering her blood to her vampire boss's mom.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kyouhei. He gets better.
- Hellish Pupils: Vampires when they're craving blood or feeding.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Kaya and Kyouhei. He's way over One Head Taller and more than twice as wide at the shoulder. Easily summed up here
- Holy Burns Evil: Whenever the vampires are actually evil is up to debate, but they are weakened by the crosses.
- Honor Before Reason: Kyouhei before Character Development.
- Hypnotic Eyes: One of vampiric abilities.
- I Am What I Am Kyouhei after Character Development.
- I Can Change My Beloved: Played with. Kaya doesn't believe that Kyouhei can change and doesn't even try. However, Kyouhei does change, in that he becomes more open and, even though not becoming less proud, he doesn't let his vampire pride control himself so much.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Except it's vampire mom, and she's literally his mother.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kyouhei
- Kiss of the Vampire: Kyouhei finds that women's blood tastes best at the point of the woman's orgasm, and the bite itself is intensely pleasurable.
- Meganekko: What Kaya appears to be at first, until the end of the first chapter when we find out that the glasses are non-prescription and just for show, to make her look more serious and less baby-faced. She continues to wear the glasses at work, however, so she fits this trope when in her secretary persona.
- More Than Mind Control What Kaya fears Kyouhei is doing to her. He isn't. He comments it's more likely the other way around.
- Noble Demon: The leader of vampire clan. Although he disapproves Kyouhei and Kaya, even banishing him from the clan, he still upholds his end of the bargain.
- Oblivious to Love: It takes Kyouhei a while to realize he's emotionally vested in Kaya.He comes to terms with it shortly after finding out he's addicted to her blood.
- Office Lady: An extremely serious, attentive one.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Kaya gets one of these when Kyouhei proposes her and then treats marriage as something of convenience. She gets angry and calls him out on it. Both note that it's not very like her.
- Our Vampires Are Different: The vampires in Midnight Secretary are in most respects typical of the Japanese Vampire. With the major exception of Kyouhei, whose hair is black without explanation, almost all the vampires seen are pale blonde. All of them are beautiful and pale, wealthy, and supernatural rather than undead. Vampires in this story can only reproduce with humans, not with other vampires, and they generally choose only successful humans to breed with. They are weakened by direct sunlight but can tolerate it to a degree, and the presence of genuine Christian faith (rather than just the trappings; a silver cross in the hands of a non-Christian does nothing) weakens them.
- As for Kyouhei's hair, he DOES look just like his father...
- Plucky Office Girl: Averted. Her employers acknowledge and thoroughly appreciate her dedication and diligence, giving her more responsibilities.
- Puny Earthlings: How vampires see humans. To them, humans are just source of food and tools.
- Sex Equals Love: Zigzagged and Inverted. Kaya and Kyouhei were in love before they started sleeping with each other, with Kyouhei not really aware (or accepting) his feelings for Kaya. However, they start to realize that a purely sexual relashionship isn't enough for them, and the more they have sex, the harder it becomes to hide their feelings, and the sex (plus bloodsucking for Kyouhei) is less and less satisfying. After they confess their love to each other, they find the ensuing lovemaking the most pleasurable they ever have (it lasted an entire night, and Kyouhei didn't drink a single drop of Kaya's blood), resulting in Love Equals Sex or Good People Have Good Sex.
- Sexy Secretary: Kaya, eventually, once she starts dressing less conservatively for Kyouhei.
- Smoking Is Cool: Kyouhei smokes like a chimney.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: Kyouhei is VERY snarky.
- Tareme Eyes: Compare Kyouhei to Takasu here. Devious, demanding Kyouhei has tsurime eyes, while understanding Nice Guy Takasu has tareme.
- Vampires Are Rich: As it turns out, vampires in this series own much of the worlds large corporations.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: Especially, it seems, Kyouhei, although it seems to be the case frequently in general.
- Weakened by the Light: Vampires are severely weakened when exposed to direct sunlight, but it does not directly kill them.
- What If the Baby Is Like Me?: Reason why Kyouhei doesn't want to have kids.