Midnight Occult Civil Servants (known as Mayonaka no Okaruto Kōmuin in Japan) is a 2015 Urban Fantasy manga, which also includes a 2018 novel and 2019 anime TV adaptation, written by Yōko Tamotsu and published under Kadokawa Shoten with 10 volumes being published. The anime is being streamed by Crunchyroll (with cooperation from Funimation with an English voice track) in English and in Mandarin Chinese by bilibili.
The manga takes place in modern times where the Japanese government establishes various Nocturnal Community Relations Divisions in Tokyo's 23 wards to police and oversee any problems with the supernatural, known officially as Anothers. To cover up any incidents, they work closely with the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.
Miyako Arata is the newest recruit to work in Shinjuku's NCRD. Working under Kyoichi Sakaki, his job is to mediate and resolve any conflicts among various Another species while investigating any occult crimes committed in the city. With the help of a skill called Ears of Sand, used to understand the Another language, Miyako and his colleagues work to keep the peace in Shinjuku and prevent any events from affecting the city.
Midnight Occult Civil Servants provides examples of:
- All Myths Are True: Aside from pretty much every entity from Japanese Mythology, angels, various European mythical creatures and even Latin American deities are all among the Anothers encountered by the Nocturnal Community Relations Division.
- Benevolent Conspiracy: The NCRDs work together with Japanese law enforcement to conceal supernatural incidents from the world because they're not ready for it. Also, they can't communicate with them.
- Boring Yet Practical: Among the tools in their disposal, the protagonists also have access to special police tape that generally does a decent job at setting up a barrier to keep most Another species from going overboard.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: The cast is filled with dashing young men. Justified that it's printed in a shoujo magazine.
- Gas Leak Cover-Up: Implied to be used by the NCRD and police officers familiar with Anothers to keep public attention away.Yokoyama: "I guess we can always say there was another gas leak."
- Government Procedural: A manga based on the inner workings of the city's bureaucracy (after dark).
- Market-Based Title: In Japanese, it's known as Mayonaka no Okaruto Kōmuin.
- Multinational Team: The team has Seo, who is of British origin. The manga suggests that he was naturalized.
- Reincarnation: Arata is Abe no Seimei reincarnated in the present and looking almost identical to his most famous incarnation. Furthermore, Seimei was the ancestor of the Miyako bloodline.
- Urban Fantasy: The manga takes place in (mostly) Shinjuku where the NCRD polices the city after dark in order to protect the public from supernatural incidents and have Arata use his Ears of Sand skill to mediate conflicts whenever possible.
- Wham Episode:
- "Angels and Tengu Above the Shinjuku Skyline" revealed that Arata is the modern incarnation of Abe no Seimei. And he's able to mediate conflicts between Another species with the Ears of Sand.
- "The Trickster with Amber Eyes" revealed that the kyoshi incident Huehuecóyotl staged was from a missing person's case file from the NCRD desk.
- "The Parallel World Elevator of the City Hall Observation Deck" has Arata wondering if his Ears of Sand skill can prevent Pandora from taking women's memories of breaking up with their significant other.