In a small town in Tokyo, the PTA is having a meeting and discussing about the learning topics for the fifth-graders. When the subject of sex-ed class is brought up, the parents begin to voice their concern about teaching it to children at such a young age.
What they do not know is that, while they are discussing about whether it is right to teach sex-ed so young and how it should be taught, 11-year-old Haruna ends up pregnant. When she refuses to tell any adults, her classmates begin to step up.
No relation to Kodomo no Omocha and Kodomo no Jikan.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Haruna, of course. She ends up giving birth when she's close to the age of 12.
- Adult Fear: The entire premise, though oddly this aspect of it isn't really focused on.
- Babies Ever After: For Miss Yagi, in the epilogue.
- Boyish Short Hair: Haruna, starting the story as a stereotypical tomboy.
- Cassandra Truth: Haruna tells her family that, after Miss Yagi taught them a sex-ed class, that she's 'gonna have a baby'. Nobody believes her, of course, but Haruna is already pregnant at the time.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion:
- Averted with Tomoko. When she realizes she is pregnant, she immediately decides to get an abortion.
- Abortion is discussed in Haruna's case, when Mika finds out and tells her that past the 23rd week, abortion is no longer an option. Haruna decides that the baby needs her and doesn't abort.
- I'm Crying, but I Don't Know Why: In the epilogue, the now 12-year-old Hajime describes his secret hideout as a place where he for some reason can really relax. Later, his mother reveals to him that that place was where he was born.
- Informed Attractiveness: Haruna apparently grows up to be a model, but considering the artwork...
- Live-Action Adaptation: In 2008, with Koji Haguida directing and Haruna Amari playing Haruna.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. The girls talk about having just gotten their periods in the first chapter.
- Space Whale Aesop: The story implies that the whole thing never would have happened if the children had proper sex education. A case of Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped for some, but still.
- Stress Vomit: Miss Yagi is often seen vomiting in the toilets due to stress.
- Teen Pregnancy: Quite possibly the youngest example in manga history...hopefully.
- Three-Month-Old Newborn: When Haruna and her friends get to look at a baby that was just born in the Namatame clinic, the baby looks rather normal and can easily open its eyes.