Senseless Phagia is when someone eats something because they can't tell what it is by using their five senses.
Senseless is when the senses aren't in use. Phagia means "consume."
If a person has no sense of smell or taste, so they eat dirt and thinks that it's chocolate, that qualifies, and they've committed geophagia.
This also applies when characters don't use their sense of sight while they're eating and pick up something gross and stick it in their mouths without even looking at it.
A subtrope of Rule of Perception.
- Problem Child 2 has two examples: One is Junior's urinating into a pitcher and passing it off to an unsuspecting man as lemonade. The other is Junior's releasing his cockroach army into his family's dinner.
- The Hitcher features a severed finger in a man's fries. He doesn't notice until he directly looks at it.
- Mallrats and the "chocolate pretzel."
- One of the "better" gags from Epic Movie has Kal Penn lustily devouring what he thinks is chocolate for a good twenty or so seconds; more than enough time for the viewer to correctly guess that it's really poop from an inexplicably open sewer line.
- American Pie and the jizz in the beer.
- The Lost Boys, the vampires use their hypnotic powers to either make food look like something disgusting, like maggots instead of rice, or to make actual disgusting things look ordinary, tricking the protagonist into drinking blood by pretending it's wine.
- In Soylent Green, Thorn steals a spoon that a woman is using to eat something out of a jar. He takes it home and gives it to Sol to eat so he can tell him what it is (strawberry jam).
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The theme of corporate and non-profit cannibalism is addressed on varying levels in every movie.
Cookoff Hostess: "You've got to tell the secret of that fabulously tasty chili!"Drayton Sawyer: "No secret. It's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat. I got a real good eye for prime meat. Runs in the family." (the hostess bites into chipped off piece of bone) "Whoop, whoop! One of those hard-shell peppercorns!"
- "You could have dinner with us... my brother makes good head cheese!" in the original.
- And in the sequel:
- Minority Report has one, just after Anderton's eye replacement. The surgeon tells him that a sandwich and milk are in the fridge. Well, that much is true, but John's blind bumbling leads him to the rotten equivalents first.
- Waiting...... The staff of a restaurant use this as a punishment, as is showcased in the trailer
- The short film known as 5:45 A.M. features a waiter doing something to the food that involves having his pants around his knees, as seen here.
- In Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, the duo stop by a fast food drive-thru, where one of the disgruntled workers informs them that the secret ingredient to the food is animal semen.
- In Cabin Fever 2, a custodian who shows signs of infection with a flesh-eating virus takes a leak into the punch that a girl was mixing up for the prom (yes, just to be a douchebag). Halfway through the stream, the urine turns into a stream of blood. The promgoers later remark that the punch tastes like piss, but don't seem to think it noteworthy enough to not drink the punch, apparently dismissing it as bad punch.
- In Blindsided The Game, the events of the film are kicked off by the blind Walter not realizing that the milk in his fridge had spoiled. This is compounded by him also accidentally grabbing a bottle of hot sauce instead of a bottle of water to wash his mouth out with.
- In Fight Club, sabotaging restaurant food is one of Tyler Durden's pastimes, which leads to this trope for the unfortunate customers.
- In Hogfather, Lord Downey keeps his liquor in bottles with labels spelled backwards. A footnote explains that some Real Life aristocrats have done this, apparently assuming their servants will be too stupid to tell what's in the bottles and hence, won't steal drinks on the sly. The same footnote points out that this seldom works ... and that the servants trust that the aristocrats would, themselves, fail to notice that the bottles had been topped off with "eniru".
- Inverted with Millennium, episode: Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me - Four demons, in their human forms, assemble in the predawn at a doughnut shop and reflect on the havoc they've wreaked on humanity. They, of course, mistreat the doughnut store clerk, who then urinates in their coffee, which they love.
- One episode of Upright Citizens Brigade featured a sketch where one man claimed that color-blindness was the reason his niece couldn't tell the difference between a juicy, delicious apple and a raw, slimy pig anus. An audience member is incredulous of the claim, insisting there is something far more serious wrong with the girl if she really can't tell the difference. The first man offers him a chance to experience simulated color-blindness with a special pair of glasses and then offers him a choice of two clear ziploc bags (one with apples, the other with pig anuses):
Skeptical Man (reaching into the pig anus bag): "Oh yeah that's an apple! OH GOD I WAS WRONG!"
- Black Books: Bernard denies that he's lost all sense of taste through his booze and cigarette habits, and believes that he's eating "some sort of delicious biscuit". It's a coaster. Made of cork.
- Satchel in Get Fuzzy displays a variant: He usually knows what something is, but he has no idea whether it's edible until he's tried it.
- There was also one comic where he ate an apple-shaped candle because he didn't realize it was a candle when he started. He was aware that he shouldn't have eaten the other candles, but by that point he just had a taste for them.
- The Simpsons are drinking some fruit punch.
Homer: Ooh, punch!
Lisa: Ew! Dad, this is blood!
Homer: Correction: Free blood.
- From Ratatouille...
Remy: What's that you're eating?
Emil: *smacks lips* I'm not exactly sure, to be honest.
Remy: You don't know what it is... and you're eating it?
Emil: You know, once you get past the gag reflex, a whole world of possibilities opens up!
- * In episode 11 of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Fred returns from visiting a Blood Bank with a huge red stain on his mouth and shirt. Shaggy and Scooby nervously ask him if it's blood, and he replies no, it's juice. He goes on to mention they have bags of the stuff hanging all over the place.
- Kentucky Fried Rat
- Pork and Coke
- Bubblegum Spiders
- Cockroach Tacos
- HIV + Burgers
- Sandwich pus
- Worm meat burgers
- Chinese cat won tons
- Genetically modified chickens
- Eyeball McNuggets
- Poop Shakes
- Human fingers Menudo
- Chocolate Milk blood
- Pee steak
- Penis in the punch bowl
- Pee beer
- Needle Pepsi
- Toilet dish washer
- Evian blood
- HIV + Ketchup
- Halloween Candy
- Human finger chili
- HIV + pineapple
- Cockroach drinking straws
- Frog Salad◊
- Mouse sushi◊