The Migax Cycle is an ongoing young adult science fantasy series hosted on the free story sharing website Wattpad.
It is set on the fictional planet Migax, where humans and sapient dragon-like creatures coexist together. The main characters, Summer and Leafsong, attend a prestigious Boarding School but soon find themselves involved in the sinister workings of a movement set on transforming Migax into a fascist regime. The two students end up uncovering an underground organization trying to prevent the takeover, and deal with a mix of adolescent struggles and political terror.
The first book can be read here for free.
The Migax Cycle provides examples of:
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Much of Migaxian rhetoric is reminiscent of the Nazis, especially their emphasis on ridding Migax of squells and forcing them into ghettos.
- Animal Testing: The seserance is tested on rats at first.
- Applied Phlebotinum:
- Artrychar powers Gateways, which is what allows people to access betweenspace, and for manipulators to turn invisible.
- The seserance gives sentient beings psychic powers through unknown means.
- Boarding School: The first book's primary setting is Aksel, a large boarding school.
- Disposable Vagrant: The lower classes are often treated like they are worthless, and MiliLabshas no qualms about running experiments on them.
- Draconic Humanoid: The skeefers are described as looking like feathery, humanoid dragons.
- Fantastic Ghetto: Squell District is the place where many of the skeefers are forced to live, to keep them segregated from the rest of Migax.
- Fantastic Racism: Skeefers face constant discrimination in Migaxian society, from outright hostility to structural problems, and the story revolves around the gradual escalation of Migax into a Nazi-like regime.
- Fantastic Slurs: "Dreg" is used to refer to humans that are part of the lower class.
- La Résistance: Eeksa's underground organization trying to stop a fascist takeover.
- Running Gag
- Leafsong talking too much in Reema's class and getting reprimanded.
- Summer insisting she's not a hacker in the middle of hacking something.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!:
- Summer doesn't even try to sue Sylas for damages to her apartment, because she knows he'll be able to pay his way out of it.
- MiliLabsgets away with exploiting people and placing them in fatal situations due to their huge lobbying power.
- Sentient Phlebotinum: The seserance has a bit of a mind and will of its own.
- Switching P.O.V.: The story alternates between Summer and Leafsong's point of view, both in third person limited.
- Tested on Humans: MiliLabs does this all the time by luring desperate people into contracts with them.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Leafsong, Summer, and Moonwafer, although Moonwafer's role is minimal compared to the first two.
- Uplifted Animal: Played with. Skeefers were altered to make their brains function more closely to a human's, but they were sapient before and don't consider it uplifting.
- Urban Segregation: The lower class humans, lower class skeefers, social outcasts, middle class, and the rich all live in seperate areas of Migax.
- Wrong Side of the Tracks: The Spreads are the area where humans in poverty live. Squell District is an even worse form of this, as many skeefers are forced into it.