Summer is a human from the lower-class area known as the Spreads. She signs a contract with Mililabs to attend Aksel and becomes friends with Leafsong. She's greatly skilled at acting, paticularly Obfuscating Stupidity, and is also a skilled hacker.
- Adorkable: She is socially awkward, overly enthusiastic, and fangirls over technology.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Hacker" by Leafsong.
- Badass Bookworm: Her knowledge about technology comes in handy when hacking is needed.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is sweet and patient, until Sayra tries to force her to torture Leafsong, in which case she goes on a verbal rampage that scares even Leafsong.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: She likes eating bread and butter and sprinkles.
- Cute Bookworm: She's studious and comes across as quite cute. She even exploits this trope to deflect suspicion.
- The Cutie: While she can exploit this, she often acts genuinely innocent and sweet, and her eagerness over school and technology can come across as quite adorable.
- Dirty Business: She is forced to torture a skeefer during military class to avoid getting expelled.
- Disposable Vagrant: She is treated as one of these by MiliLabs.
- Dork in a Sweater: She wears a fluffy brown sweater with orange stripes.
- Friendship Trinket: Leafsong gives her a bracelet with moon charms on it after Summer is nearly killed, and Summer treasures it for the rest of the story.
- Insistent Terminology: She insists she is not a hacker, and gets annoyed if anyone says she is. Naturally, Leafsong makes it her nickname.
- Interspecies Friendship: With Leafsong and Moonwafer.
- Master Actor: She easily adopts different personas to trick people into believing her innocence.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She uses this trick several times, and her accent certainly helps.
- Playful Hacker: Although she insists she's not a hacker, Summer uses her hacking skills for heroic ends.
- Simpleton Voice: She is noted to have one, although she isn't actually stupid.
- Socially Awkward Hero: She has no trouble hacking and lying, but when it comes to interacting with people in a sincere manner she's quite awkward.
- Stress Vomit: She does this after torturing Beam.
- Tastes Like Friendship: She offers bread and butter and sprinkles to Leafsong when they first meet.
- Tears of Remorse: She cries after torturing Beam.
- Verbal Tic: She has a tendency to say "Right" before many of her sentences, even when it makes no sense in context.
- Working-Class Hero: She comes from a lower-class background, which ends up giving her an advantage when it comes to not being noticed.
Leafsong is a skeefer who has the power to manipulate betweenspace, allowing her to turn invisible and access the entire Gateway network at once. She came to Aksel to train as a spark watcher, and is Summer's best friend.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: She has green fur.
- Big Sister Instinct: Leafsong is very protective of Moonwafer and threatens to attack the bullies who beat him up.
- Bi the Way: She mentions dating both males and females in the past.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: She and Moonwafer call their parents by their first names.
- Deadpan Snarker: She is definitely the most sarcastic of the characters.
- Deuteragonist: Her role is just as important as Summer's and she gets just as much focus as Summer.
- Enemy Eats Your Lunch: She eats Sayra's lunch as vengeance.
- The Gadfly: She loves to annoy both Summer and Moonwafer, calling Summer "hacker" and making fun of Moonwafer's verbosity. Her actions are never truly malicious, but in fun.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: She does this to both Summer and Moonwafer.
- While she laughed at Summer for her ignorance on drones, after another student mocks Summer for the same reason, Leafsong gets angry and defends Summer, stating that because the other person isn't her, his "argument is invalid."
- She constantly berates and mocks Moonwafer, but when others hurt him she ruthlessly defends him.
- Interspecies Friendship: With Summer.
- Invisibility: She can manipulate betweenspace to render herself invisible to anyone but others with the same power.
- Tastes Like Friendship: She accepts Summer's bread and butter and sprinkles when they first meet, despite her doubts on the quality of its flavor.
- Twin Banter: She often banters with Moonwafer.
- Working-Class Hero: She's quite tough due to her lower class background.
Moonwafer is Leafsong's twin brother and a skeefer. He gives expositional monologues and satirical humor, and is the most engaged of the class. He has albinism and is often targeted for it.
- Adorkable: He is extremely enthusiastic and uses overly complex vocabulary. His expositional monologues place him in the socially awkward territory.
- All of the Other Reindeer: While most skeefers are ostracized, Moonwafer has it the worst due to having albinism, which makes even his own species treat him with suspicion.
- Asexuality: He mentions that he is asexual.
- Blinded by the Light: Due to his albinism, this happens to him far more frequently than other characters.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: He and Leafsong call their parents by their first names.
- The Cutie: Due to his rather innocent nature and manner of speaking. He is also described as having a babyish face and being small, adding to his cuteness.
- Heroic Albino
- Intelligence = Isolation: Leafsong explicitly mentions that his tendency to go on long-winded info-dumps gets him bullied. Leafsong and Summer are his only friends, and even they hang out more one-on-one than with him.
- Mr. Exposition: He is most often the one to explain the political situation of Migax.
- Nice Guy: He's courteous and benevolent even to his enemies, and never intentionally hurts anyone.
- Turn the Other Cheek: He easily forgives his tormentors and encourages people to have compassion for them.
- Twin Banter: He often engages in this with Leafsong.
Eeksa is a golden-eyed skeefer who heads an underground resistance organization. She is manipulative and willing to let others be hurt to achieve her goals, but genuinely cares about the fate of Migax and seeks to save it.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: She has blue fur and a red feathered head crest.
- Broken Pedestal: To Reema, who once admired her but later saw her as a Knight Templar figure.
- Deadpan Snarker: Often does this to people, particularly Leafsong.
- Manipulative Bastard: She deliberately lets information slip, flatters people, and insults them in order to manipulate people into doing what she wants.
- The Needs of the Many: Eeksas justification for her actions.
- Poisonous Friend: To Reema. She encourages Reema to break her moral code and pulls her into a life of crime.
- Silver Tongue: She is an expert at figuring out people's motivations, and uses that to get them to do what she wants.
- Technicolor Eyes: Her eyes are described as being golden.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Her goal of stopping Migax from becoming a fascist regime is certainly a good thing, but she's willing to let others take the fall and even manipulate them into going into life-threatening danger for her cause.
- Deadpan Snarker: Theyre constantly making sarcastic criticisms.
- The Gadfly: They often say things to try to provoke Eeksa into annoyance.
- Gender-Neutral Writing: They use they/them pronouns.
- Sarcastic Devotee: Despite their loyalty to Eeksa's resistance, they won't hesitate to snark at its members.
- Servile Snarker: They're quite snarky toward Eeksa, despite her respected status.
- Transgender: They're non-binary.
Teachers at Aksel
Reema is the social studies teacher at Aksel, and a former member of Eeksa's resistance organization. She left the organization years ago and chose to pursue a life of teaching, and is a rather dorky instructor.
- Adorkable: She's quite awkward in class and often comes across as a dork.
- Just Like Robin Hood: She steals medicine in order to help sick outcasts.
- Morality Pet: To Eeksa. She mentions being able to stop Eeksa from going too far in her actions, and after Reema dies, Eeksa becomes a lot more ruthless.
- Politically Motivated Teacher: She teaches the class material that the rest of Aksel doesnt want them learning due to its political implications.
- Retired Badass: She used to be a part of an underground resistance organization and even committed a few crimes, but left the life to pursue a teaching career.
- Retired Outlaw: She committed several crimes before becoming a teacher.
Sayra is the military teacher at Aksel. She has an extreme love for the military and patriotism, and uses this passion to try to instill her values into the class. She has a grudge against skeefers and often seeks to punish the main protagonists. She is shown to be very anxious and insecure most of the time.
- Affably Evil: Sayra seems to genuinely care about her students' wellbeing and truly believes she's doing the right thing.
- Fantastic Racism: She's nervous around skeefers and makes the human students torture them.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Sayra mentions that she doesn't like everything that's happening, but believes it's justified because the government said so.
- Patriotic Fervor: She has an extreme love of Migax, and her patriotism seems to be her primary motivation.
- Pet the Dog: Sayra attempts to help Moonwafer after his eyes are injured by the lights.
- Politically Motivated Teacher: She gives passionate speeches about patriotism nearly every military class, and leaves no room for debate about whether what Migax is doing is justified or not.
Other Students at Aksel
Sylas is a student at Aksel and a bully toward Summer. However, he shows extreme reluctance and nervousness about it, and mostly seems to torment people in order to fit into a friend group.
- Bullying the Disabled: He taunts Moonwafer for his albinism.
- Gang of Bullies: He travels with one of these, and is often goaded into doing things he wouldn't have ordinarily done because of them.
- Fantastic Racism: He makes discriminatory comments against skeefers and squells.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The reason for his behavior is so he can be liked.
- Just Following Orders: His excuse for his bad behavior is that his friends told him to do it.
- Kick the Dog: Spraypainting Summer's apartment door with a slur while knowing she and her family will have to pay extra money for it.
- The Bully: Mainly to Summer, although he shows reluctance and awkwardness when doing it.
- Rich Bitch: He uses his monetary advantage to get away with bullying people.
- Apologises a Lot: Any time she's called out for saying something rude, she launches into a round of apologies.
- Condescending Compassion: She laments on the fate of the lower class in a very condescending manner, right in front of Summer.
- Innocent Bigot: She consistently says derogatory statements toward skeefers and the lower class, and is confused about why people are offended.
- Innocently Insensitive: She's extremely rude, but doesn't mean to be.
- Upper-Class Twit: She is presumably rich, and not very intelligent.
People at MiliLabs
- Every Man Has His Price: It manages to lobby and buy its way out of facing consequences for its actions.
- Just Think of the Potential: The reason why MiliLabsis so intent on getting the seserance is for its military and surveillance potential.
- Villain with Good Publicity: MiliLabsis well-liked by the general public, and even Summer trusts it enough at first to sign a contract with it.