Midvintermörker (Midwinter Darkness) is the first novel written by the Swedish blogger and author Lars Wilderäng. It follows several characters as Sweden is attacked by a foreign power. It is essentially a military thriller, filled with battles, borderline political satire and a lot of military terms and technology. Considered to be a warning text about the decline of the Swedish armed forces.
Tropes used include:
- An Asskicking Christmas: The Russians invade on boxing day.
- Artistic License: Averted. The author has been doing his research. Especially and annoyingly so in the radio traffic.
- Action Politician: Two Russian Commandos, one weilding an AK-74 and the other a Dragunov sniper rifle, attempt to enter the home of the Swedish deputy prime minister and kidnap her. She takes out both of them with her double-barrelled rabbit gun.
- Anyone Can Die: One chapter is called "Die Die Die" for a very good reason.
- Big Damn Heroes The author seems very fond of this trope.
- JAS 39 Gripens arrive like the riders of Rohan when Russian helicopters attack ground forces.
- During an intense battle with Russian infantry, the Marines hear the sound of tanks. They are Swedish and end the battle decisively for the Swedes
- Big, Bulky Bomb: The Father of All Bombs are deployed twice with horrifying results.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: While the Swedes are given a small chance, and a desperate plan - the outcome is really not in doubt; despite the fact that the Swedish tactical objective is accomplished
- Black Guy Dies First: An entire chapter is spent introducing Yusuf, a Syrian cab driver. He dies at the end of it, when the Russians launch a cruise missile strike on Stockholm.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique:
- A subordinate reports having interrogated a prisoner and claims to only have used the much despised basic values manual.
- Both sides also end up using waterboarding against prisoners.
- Taking You with Me A Swedish Naval Officer is held on the Russian flagship and tortured by the Captain. When the ship is destroyed, he grabs the Captain and make sure both drown.
- You Are in Command Now: Several.
- The Vice Prime Minister Gerd Olsson is promoted as the Prime Minister is killed.
- During the battle of Gotland, Erik Segerfält is promoted as his superior officer is killed.