A science fiction story centered on the sexual adventures of a group of college students and their investigation of a bizarre cult, the film premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, where it was awarded the first ever Queer Palm for its contribution to lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender issues.
- Ambiguously Gay: While Thor is clearly straight, various other cues leave Smith confused about this (his frequent use of deodorant, the neat, color coding system for his flip-flops in his closet, etc.)
- Apocalypse Cult: The New Order.
- Apocalypse How: Planetary. The New Order's plan is to destroy the surface and all who live on it, with Smith to rule what is left as the Chosen Son. However, when the New Order's leader unleashes the nukes, it instead reduces the entire planet into space debris.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Thor's friend Rex is just as stereotypically straight as Thor, using words like "fag" and insisting whenever he can that the is not gay, only for him to have a threesome with Smith and London as a birthday gift for Smith. Whether or not any of this was genuine since Rex was a member of the New Order is up for debate.
- Bi the Way: While Smith is clearly into men just as much (if not more) as women, he does not identify as "bisexual", referring to himself as "undeclared".
- Rex might be as well, as he sleeps with London and later has a threesome with her and Smith. Wether this is an actual trait of his personality or an act from his due to him being part of the New Order is never truly made clear.
- Big Red Button: The one Smith's father pushes to destroy the Earth.
- BrotherSister Incest: In the climax of the film, it is revealed that Smith and London are half-siblings, both having the same father. This is especially shocking, since they have been boning regularly all movie.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Despite his insatiable sex life, Smith is not a bad person. In fact, he tells London that making his partner cum is his kink.
- College Is "High School, Part 2": Stella describes college as being an intermission between High School and the rest of their lives.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Smith frequently does this before meeting London.
- Erotic Film: A softcore-erotic Indie film with strong LGBT themes by noted New Queer Cinema director Greg Araki.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex: No virgins in this film, guaranteed.
- The Poorly Chosen One: Smith is believed by the New Order to be their Messianic chosen one meant to rule the world after they destroy it in a nuclear holocaust. Before the cult could get Smith to safety however, the cult's leader sets off the nukes before Smith is brought to safety, destroying the planet entirely.
- Psychic Powers: It is revealed that the New Order would take orphans and children who their parents give away that have "potential" and do a "procedure" that gives them psychic powers. Smith, Lorelei and Oliver are just three examples of this.
- Renegade Splinter Faction: The Resistance are former members of the New Order that defected and fight to prevent their apocalyptic agenda from coming true.
- Wicked Witch: Stella's girlfriend Lorelei is a woman with supernatural powers who, after Stella breaks up with her due to a mix of her insatiable sex-drive and an unstable, clingy personality, supernaturally stalks and tortures Stella. Later averted when it is revealed that she was actually a psychic, her powers and unstable personality a result of a procedure the New Order did to her.