Randy Dean, a 17-year-old lesbian, is in her final year of high school and is getting failing grades. One day, Evie Roy, a girl from Randy's school, stops by the gas station Randy works at, wondering if her tire needs more air. This is the moment that Randy and Evie talk for the first time, and from then on they start hanging out with each other and eventually fall in love with each other.
Provides examples of:
- Based on a Great Big Lie: Despite the film having "incredibly true" in its title, it is not based on a true story. The "incredibly true" part probably comes from a play that is mentioned a few times in the film, which, according to what people say about it, is a play about lesbian romance that is based on a true story.
- Bolivian Army Ending: The film ends with a shot of Randy and Evie hugging and kissing each other in front of all of the arguing people outside, which all started with the two running away from Evie's mom after they ruined the house by making a huge dinner the preceding night. What happens to the two is not shown.
- Butch Lesbian: Randy.
- Cast Full of Gay: Pretty much goes without saying, with this being a film about lesbians and all.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Subverted with the title. It is indeed about two girls who fall in love, but it's not based on a true story.
- The Fantastic Trope of Wonderous Titles
- Has Two Mommies: Randy lives with her aunt, her aunt's girl friend, and her aunt's ex who needs a place to stay. That's basically three mommies!
- Heroes Want Redheads: Randy has light red hair and ends up with Evie at the end.
- Improbably Female Cast: Even for a film about lesbians, there seems to be a ludicrous amount of female characters, with only around two or three male characters appearing in the whole film.
- Lesbian Romance: The movie has the words "two girls in love" in its title, what did you expect?
- Long Title
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: A variant. Evie's mother walks in on her daughter having a good night's sleep with Randy after their sex session from the preceding night, and gets quite pissed at her daughter upon discovering this.
- You Are Grounded: Near the end of the film, one of the things Evie's mom says as she is mad at Randy and Evie is that the latter is grounded forever.