Zub: The Adventures of Stuff is a Pokémon fanfic written by Zibdas detailing the adventures of Zub and his merry band of idiots where they try to save the world from something they don't really know what they're saving the world from. Not to mention there is an assorted cast of unique or re-imagined characters. The author tries hard to fit this into the canon of other fanfiction found on the site he posts on.
The fic exists mostly to parody and explain nearly every cliché in the Pokémon world, and many others. As the author has freely admitted, there is no chapter where there isn't some kind of reference to another series. He also has stated that not nearly all of them have been found by the readers.
It is still being updated and can be read here.
Zub: The Adventures of Stuff provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Thieu cannot get Zelo's name correct, getting farther and farther away each time she tries.
- Achievements in Ignorance: Galidor survives a large amount of bombs because he thought he could regenerate like Ran could.
- Affably Evil: Pretty much every villain throughout. The main antagonist is a more focused one, but definitely has its moments.
- Ambiguous Gender: Debbie. While he and everyone else constantly refer to him as female, and it is made clear she and everyone else believe him to be female, the narration consistently refers to him as a male.
- Alliterative Name: Levil Leviathan Larry Lobringdian Lobstarr
- Apathetic Citizens: Lampshaded in one chapter when several citizens claim they are too busy standing around doing nothing to help anyone save the world.
- Apocalypse How: Class 1 and Class 5. Miror B. just wants to convert the world to a new dance revolution, whereas the main antagonist apparently just wants to break stuff.
- Author Avatar: While The Author does appear, it's more of an in-universe example, as while the Author of the fic is there, he is much older than the real author.
- Batman Gambit: It counted on Zub to be a Big Damn Hero, which was ultimately what got It to become Its true form.
- Bilingual Bonus: Many of the stranger names for nearly everything all hail from foreign words.
- Blatant Lies: In the squel, the Cheese Stick of Implemented and Wholly Voluntary Community Service condemns you into doing community service, voluntary or not.
- Blessed with Suck: The Barons were givin wealth and immortality, but if they are lit on fire, someone somewhere writes a horrible song in a blend of hip-hop, folk, and country about their accolades.
- The Chosen One: Galidor was supposed to... then he died.
- Death Takes a Holiday: A more literal example, as in several examples the character Death takes a break, mostly out of laziness.
- Departmentof Redundancy Department: Frequently characters will restate exactly what the narration just said, or vice versa.
- Eldritch Abomination: Its true form is too horrible to describe, given vague details for the reader to interpret.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: The laugh track in live studio audience are both French.
- Forgot About His Powers: While the Author wants to save his fanfiction, he seems to forget he can just wipe away anything he doesn't like. Later on, he's usurped, but until then...Taken up a notch when it is revealed he had them all along, he just totally forgot about them.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: It would seem as though Death and Ran are closer to each other than they are to Zub. At one point, Zub sacrificed himself to stop the villain, and what do Ran and Death do? Go get a burger! Granted, he turns out okay next chapter, but still...
- From Nobody to Nightmare: There's this golden Magikarp. Okay. It tends to annoy the group by coming at the most random times. Fine. He's also the main antagonist and wants to destroy the world just to see it burn. Less okay.
- The Grim Reaper: Known as Death, one of the heroes.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Death to an extent. While he doesn't explicitly say he hates everyone, he has no problem killing innocent, annoying passerby, or even his friends.
- Hurricane of Puns: Fourteen wood puns in a row in the fifth chapter of the sequel.
- No Fourth Wall: Not even mentioning the beginning, in one chapter, they actually had to go out and destroy the fourth wall. Yeah.
- Only Sane Man: It is heavily implied that Zub is the only voice of reason in the world of idiots, lunatics, and madmen. Except he lacks a vocie, so it's okay.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Buz, who was meant to be a parallel to Zub, handling the events of Ruby and Sapphire while Zub was doig some other things. That plan never went through though.
- Shipper on Deck: Ashleigh seems to pair everyone together, except Zub.
- The Speechless: Zub. Justified, however, as it is actually a medical infliction that causes it.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: While not too far advanced, it's still a few years after the events of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, with many areas expanded, destroyed, remodeled, etc.
- The Unchosen One: The only reason Zub is saving the world is because he killed someone, and this is his punishment.