Jonathan Rhys Meyers (born Jonathan Michael Francis O'Keeffe, 27 July 1977) is an Irish actor and model.
He is best known for his portrayal of Henry VIII in Showtime's hit TV series The Tudors, though his first big break came in 1998 in the form of Todd Haynes' Velvet Goldmine, in which he played bisexual glam rock singer Brian Slade, to considerable critical acclaim. Meyers' international fame was boosted after his leading role in Woody Allen's Match Point, and his Golden Globe-winning portrayal of Elvis Presley in the 2005 TV miniseries, "Elvis". He is Dracula in a NBC series based on Bram Stoker's classic tale, and Big Bad Valentine Morgenstern in the film adaptation of The Mortal Instruments.
Not to be confused with John Rhys-Davies.
Oh...and he's also rather attractive.
Notable roles include:
- The Assassin, Michael Collins (1996)
- Brian Slade, Velvet Goldmine (1998)
- Pitt Mackeson, Ride with the Devil (1999)
- Chiron, Titus (1999)
- Steerpike, Gormenghast (2000, BBC mini-series)
- Joe, Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
- Davey, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003)
- George Osborne, Vanity Fair (2004)
- Cassander, Alexander (2004)
- Chris Wilton, Match Point (2005)
- Elvis Presley, Elvis (2005 - TV mini-series)
- Declan, Mission: Impossible III (2006)
- Louis Connely, August Rush (2007)
- King Henry VIII, The Tudors (2007-2010)
- James Reese, From Paris with Love (2010)
- Adam, 6 Souls (2010)
- Adam, Shelter (2010)
- Valentine Morgenstern, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013)
- Dracula, Dracula (2013)
Tropes applicable to this actor include:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Death Glare
- Shirtless Scene
- Stage Name: He was originally Jonathan OKeefe, but changed his name when he went into acting.