A 2015 American coming-of-age Drama directed by Roland Emmerich that is centered around the 1969 Stonewall riots in New York City.
The movie stars Jeremy Irvine, Jonny Beauchamp, Joey King, Caleb Landry Jones, Matt Craven, David Cubitt, Alexandre Nachi, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Ron Perlman, and Mark Camacho.
It was released on September 18, 2015.
Tropes for the film:
- The '60s: Takes place during the 1969 Stonewall Riots.
- Big Applesauce: Stonewall is located in Greenwich Village in Lower Manhattan.
- Historical Domain Character:
- Bob Kohler, a gay rights activist living in New York City.
- Marsha P. Johnson, a prominent activist and drag queen at the riots.
- Lead You Can Relate To: Even though many of the real people involved in the Stonewall riots were black or Latino and a number of them were Transgender women, the movie focuses on a fictional cisgender white teen from Indiana. The specific justification given was that a White Male Lead from the American heartland would be more relatable to the audience. It didn't sit well with anyone, leading to a box office bomb.
- One-Word Title: Stonewall.
- White Male Lead: The plot focuses on fictional Danny Winters, a white Straight Gay teenager from Indiana who bused to New York City after being kicked out of his home. The controversy eventually led the film to bombing.