Joey Lynn King (born July 30, 1999 in Los Angeles, California) is an American actress. She began acting as a child and has appeared in and/or done voice-work for numerous films and television shows over the years. She is perhaps best known for portraying Elle Evans in The Kissing Booth film series (based on the books of the same name by Beth Reekles).note Her first lead role in a film was as Ramona Quimby in the film adaptation of the Ramona Quimby book series. She's also known for portraying Gypsy Blanchard in The Act, for which she was nominated for several awards, including a Golden Globe and an Emmy.
Her older sister Haley King, known professionally as Hunter King, is also an actress (known for her roles in Hollywood Heights, Life in Pieces and The Young and the Restless).
- Reign Over Me (2007) as Gina Fineman
- Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! (2008) as Katie (voice)
- Quarantine (2008) as Briana
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) as Beaver Girl (voice)
- Ramona and Beezus (2010) as Ramona Quimby
- Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011) as Molly Weaver
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) as Young Talia al Ghul
- The Conjuring (2013) as Christine Perron
- Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) as China Girl / The Girl in the Wheelchair
- White House Down (2013) as Emily Cale
- The Boxcar Children (2014) as Jessie Alden (voice)
- The Boxcar Children: Surprise Island (2018)
- Stonewall (2015) as Phoebe Winters
- Independence Day: Resurgence (2016) as Sam Blackwell
- Going in Style (2017) as Brooklyn Harding
- Wish Upon (2017) as Clare Shannon
- The Kissing Booth series as Rochelle "Elle" Evans:
- The Kissing Booth (2018)
- The Kissing Booth 2 (2020)
- The Kissing Booth 3 (2021)
- Slender Man (2018) as Wren
- The Lie (2018) as Kayla Logan
- The Princess (2022) as The Princess
- Bullet Train (2022) as Prince
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (2006) as Emily
- Jericho (2006-2008) as Sally Taylor
- CSI (2007, 2008) as Little Girl, Nora Rowe
- Entourage (2007) as Chuck's Daughter
- Medium (2008) as Kelly Mackenzie, Age 8
- Ghost Whisperer (2010) as Cassidy Peyton
- New Girl (2012) as Brianna
- The Haunting Hour (2013, 2014) as Carla, Missy Jordan
- Fargo (2014-2015) as Greta Grimly
- The Sound and the Fury (2014) as Miss Quentin
- Robot Chicken (2016) as Polly Pocket, Draculaura (voice)
- The Flash (2016) as Frankie Kane / Magenta
- The Act (2019) as Gypsy Rose Blanchard
- Life in Pieces (2019) as Morgan
- Home Movie: The Princess Bride (2020) as The Grandson
- The Simpsons (2020) as Addy (voice)
- A Creepshow Animated Special (2020) as Blake (voice)
- Hamster & Gretel (2022) as Fred (voice)
- Madden NFL 19: Longshot Homecoming (2018) as Loretta Cruise (voice)
Tropes associated with the creator and her works:
- Dawson Casting: Averted in the first Kissing Booth film; her character, Elle, is sixteen and turns seventeen in the end, while King was seventeen during filming. It's played straighter in the sequels where King was twenty during filming and still playing a high school senior, though she passed for a teenager well and wasn't that much older than Elle. It's inverted for the third film's ending, which takes place six years later; Elle is now around twenty-four, four years older than King was during filming.
- Dyeing for Your Art: King has shaved off her hair three times for different roles.
- She first cut off her hair for her role as young Talia in The Dark Knight Rises (who was raised in a Hellhole Prison).
- Then she went bald again for 2014's Wish I Was Here.
- She shaved her hair yet again to play Gyspy Blanchard (whose mother made her pretend she had illnesses requiring chemotherapy treatment). As a result, she had to wear a wig during the filming of The Kissing Booth 2 and 3, as she was still growing her hair back.
- Romance on the Set: While filming The Kissing Booth in 2017, she began dating co-star Jacob Elordi, who plays her onscreen love interest Noah. By the time filming began for the sequel they had ended their relationship, though they remained professional on-set.
- What Could Have Been: In 2015 she was cast in the title role of Stargirl, the film adaptation of Jerry Spinelli's novel. However, the film went into Development Hell and in 2018 it was announced that the role had been recast with Grace Vanderwaal.
- You Look Familiar: She played two separate characters in both CSI and The Haunting Hour.