Beyond the veils of space and time, there are monsters wildly out of our collective imaginations loose and threatening reality. They are combated by a power group of wizards known as The Magic Order, a collective of various magician families sworn to protect the regular masses. Between being stage magicians and battling Eldritch Abominations, their operations are largely not unlike a magical mafia.
Which stands to reason that a mob war be on the horizon.
It soon happens, as Madame Albany of the Albany family makes her move against the Moonstones, the family currently heading the Order, by assassinating various powerful figures with the help of a mysterious being known only as "The Venetian." Her goal? To obtain a powerful tome under the Moonstones' possession named The Orichalcum, a book of the darkest spells of history and the only thing in existence that could theoretically bring the dead back to life. Now the Moonstones have to fight back against Albany and ensure that the Orichalcum doesn't fall into the hands of someone as wicked as her.
The Magic Order is a six issue mini-series written by Mark Millar and illustrated by Olivier Coipel as the first of Millar's comic deals following the acquisition of his Millarworld brand by Netflix. An adaptation is already being considered to be helmed by James Wan of Saw and Aquaman fame.
- The Ace: Gabriel Moonstone is considered the most powerful of his family. Which is why he's practically unstoppable as the Venetian.
- Back from the Dead: Everyone who had been murdered by Albany is brought back to life by Cordelia in the climax.
- Badass Boast: Uncle Edgar, once he lets loose, has this to say:Edgar: I killed a million people when I last used my powers, and I'd kill a lot more if they hadn't built these walls around me. Uncle Edgar's why Egypt's a desert. Uncle Edgar's why there's half the stars there used to be. I'm not locked up to protect me from the outside world. I'm locked in here to protect the world from me.
- Badass Family: The Moonstones have been running the Order for centuries, and every member is by their own right a powerful wizard.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Uncle Edgar is a tiny, mild-mannered old man who appears to be agoraphobic, spending his time in Moonstone Castle's than outside. It's eventually revealed this is because of how much destruction he's caused the last time he was out.
- Black Sheep: Cordelia has the misfortune of being the only illegitimate child of the Moonstone family. What results is a reckless tendency to get into trouble with her escape acts and going against everything she's been told. Luckily this includes reading the Orichalcum when told not to so in the end, she is able to resurrect everyone Albany and Gabriel killed.
- Inn Between the Worlds: The Abington Hotel is a wizards-only restaurant that exists outside of time and space, meaning it touches multiple time periods at once, wizards from various eras from The '40s to The Wild West dine here, and none of them are allowed to start any conflict or interact with one another to prevent paradoxes.
- Masquerade: Magical battles are carefully fought to prevent being seen or even noticed by the Muggle populace. Sometimes they are simply shielded or memories are wiped and damages are blamed on something mundane.
- My Greatest Failure: For Gabriel, it's being careless enough for his daughter to be accidentally killed by his wand. For Cordelia, it's driving the Moonstone parents apart by being living proof of her father's infidelity.
- Reality Ensues: As great a wizard Leonard is, old ladies still have awful aim so kevlar vests are still a necessary precaution.
- Reality Warper: Pretty much damn near everyone thanks to magic.
- Red Herring: For seemingly the benefit for nobody in particular but the reader, Albany directly name drops Gabriel when talking about attacking his home to prevent us from knowing earlier that she's talking to Gabriel himself.
- Refuge in Audacity: Cordelia's life seems to be nothing but performing near-impossible and insane escape acts for random and unwilling audiences. As an unborn baby, she managed to momentarily ward off potential scandal for her father by transferring her fetus form and placenta into the womb of the surgeon that was going to abort her.
- Retired Badass: After an accident with his wand that resulted in the death of his daughter, Gabriel bitterly quit the Magic Order to lead a normal life.
- The Reveal: Gabriel is The Venetian, and Albany's plot to steal the Orichalcum was his idea because he wanted to bring his daughter back to life against his father's wishes.
- Stable Time Loop: While they don't and aren't allowed to interact in the Abington Hotel, Madame Albany theorizes that the past version of her father seeing her as the monster she is in the present is what convinced him that she's untrustworthy to carry on the family name.
- Truce Zone: The Abington Hotel, due to being time-sensitive as an Inn Between the Worlds.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cordelia's mother was one of her father's stage assistants. It's stated later that the Moonstone parents divorced.