Characters appearing in The Animatrix.
- Voiced By: Hedy Burress
The protagonist of Beyond. She is a normal teenage girl who loses her cat Yuki one day and goes out into the city to find it. She ends up in a ruined house that contains a glitch in the Matrix, which bends the laws of reality.
- Friend to All Children: Voyages to the glitched "haunted house" with a group of kids to look for her cat. She not only enjoys hanging out with them during their time there, but she also attempts to come to their defense when she thinks they may become endangered as some Agents and cleanup crew are quarantining the haunted house they were just playing in to fix the glitch in the Matrix.
- A Glitch in the Matrix: Yoko's story.
- Haunted House: Her plot revolves around one.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Has a cat named Yuki. The plot of Beyond is kicked off when goes looking for her when Yuki misses a meal. When Yoko does find her, it's shown that they have close and affectionate relationship.
- Naïve Everygirl: Doesn't find the glitch she discovers frightening... in fact she even experiments with it!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has mixed blue and red hair.
- Voiced By: James Arnold Taylor
The protagonist of A Detective Story. Ash is a private detective hired by the Agents to locate Trinity. He takes on the case after receiving a sum of $800,000 in his bank account, and despite the horrid fates of all the other detectivesnote that attempted it before.
- Badass Normal: One of the very few people successful in locating Trinity
- Badass Longcoat: Wears a rather ragged one.
- Detective Patsy: The Agents hire him to find Trinity, and by the ending, it looks like he has outlived his usefulness.
- Eye Scream: Unlike Neo, Ash had his bug implanted here (in his left). Trinity removes it with a special device, somehow without destroying his eye in the process, but it is still terrifying. Like Neo, he thought it was a dream.
- Face Death with Dignity: The last we see of him, he is critically wounded in a train car and surrounded by three Agents who are only moments away from shooting him to death. What does he do? He calmly points his revolver at them and lights a cigarette.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Has a fluffy cat named Dinah he keeps despite being broke.
- Last-Name Basis: We never get his first name.
- One Last Smoke: Since he's facing against a group of agents while having no knowledge of The Matrix, why not have one more cigarette?
- Private Detective: And his latest case is to find Trinity.
- Voiced By: Hedy Burress
The protagonist of Program.
- Action Girl: Slices through tons of enemy samurai mooks like they're nothing.
- Big "NO!": After she killed Duo for his betrayal.
- Secret Test of Character: The test program she was put through. Though she wasn't happy about it, and punched Kaiser.Kaiser: Aside from that part, I say she passed the test.
- Voiced By: Phil La Marr
The deuteragonist of Program and Cis' lover.
- Character Death: Killed by Cis
- FaceHeel Turn: He betrayed his crew and contacted the Machines so that he and Cis can return to the Matrix with no memory of the truth.
- Not Even Human: He is only part of the program Cis is in.
- Samurai: His virtual avatar in the program is, at least.
- Un-person: He never existed, he was just a simulation. And so was Cis' love for him, which, from what we see in the end of Program, will still linger.
- Voiced By: Victor Williams
The protagonist of World Record. A disgraced Olympic sprinter wanting to prove himself and the world that he could legitimately break a new world record.
- Career-Ending Injury: After his successful attempt to break the world record, both of his legs are permanently damaged from the strain.
- Super Speed: Sort of, since he's inside the Matrix. Naturally, he's a fast runner, but he one time actually runs fast enough to cause A Glitch in the Matrix and momentarily free himself in the real world.