All spoilers for the Original Timeline are left unmarked.The characters who appear in the Soul Series, divided by their appearances in two different timelines. Note: When adding tropes, be sure to add them to the profile of the corresponding timeline.
Original Timeline covers Soul Edge to Soulcalibur V.
New Timeline covers Soulcalibur VI onwards.
- Armor Is Useless: Armor is purely aesthetic in terms of gameplay. For example: Siegfried, clad head-to-toe in armor, has the same durability as Taki, who wears tight spandex.
- Costume Evolution: Each game gives the playable cast a new costume, often skimpier than the last.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: The cast includes a warrior blessed by the Greek gods, a samurai, a knight, a mystical ninja, a ghost pirate, two vampires, an immortal scary black man, a tin tyrant wielding an Artifact of Doom, an interdimensional being, another ninja with mystical powers (also a cyborg fighting clown), a teenage priestess who can control the wind, a golem, and a lizardman, and that's not all of them.
- Morality Kitchen Sink: Clear-cut heroes, anti-heroes, villains, anti-villains, neutrals and Blue-and-Orange Morality are all present.
- Mr. Fanservice: Though not as prominent as the ladies, the guys give plenty of eye candy with muscles, good looks, and shirtless scenes.
- Ms. Fanservice: Almost all of the female fighters embody this to varying degrees, though some like Ivy and Taki take the cake. Hilde is the main exception — while pretty, she's not played for fanservice at all but instead wears a suit of armor that completely covers her.
- Named Weapons: Almost every weapon used by the cast has a name, with some characters going through several weapons through the course of the series (Mitsurugi: Korefuji -> Shishi-Oh -> Muchimonji, Maxi: Fatibal -> Soryuju, Xianghua: Krita-Yuga/Soul Calibur -> [no name], etc.). Yoshimitsu's is actually an inversion, as in his case "the sword names the user" ("Yoshimitsu" is only a title taken by the leader of the Manji, that being the one accepted by the sword "Yoshimitsu"). The only real exception to this is Edge Master (he doesn't subscribe to giving a weapon an identity, they are just the tools of a strong soul), which grandfathers in Xianghua's second jian (he gave it to her and she declined to name it in honor of that philosophy).
- World of Muscle Men: The guys are often pretty muscular, even the Bishōnen ones.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Not just grapplers, but many characters have moves that remind one of the wrestling.
- Soul Edgenote
- Soulcalibur IInote
- Soulcalibur IIInote
- Soulcalibur Legends
- Soulcalibur IV (includes characters from the PSP game Broken Destiny)note
- Soulcalibur V note
- Soul Calibur Non Playable Characters
- Assassin's Creed: Ezio Auditore
- God of War Series Kratos
- Star Wars Anakin Skywalker
- Star Wars Yoda
- Tekken: Heihachi Mishima
- The Witcher - Geralt of Rivia