- Calling the Old Man Out: Does this in I'm Not the Break Man, where he rages that he was simply discarded by Dr Light
- Came Back Wrong: In Gamma Unchained, it is implied Wily simply wished to bring him back to life- before realising that he is simply driven by hate and rage... All directed at Doctor Light.
I thought I could bring the dead back / A broken shell, rusted red with age / I gave him power, a new heart / It filled too quickly with his rage.
- The Corrupter: Though unlike Snake Man, he adds in the things Mega Man has been depressed about throughout History Repeating.
- Hannibal Lecture: Parts of "I Am Not The Break Man."
- Heel-Face Turn: Melody From The Past, which is him forgiving and accepting Mega Man as his replacement, as well as forgiving Doctor Light for his flaws and asking Mega Man to do the same.
- Not Quite Dead / Back from the Dead: As stated in Gamma Unchained, to have effectively been brought back by Dr Wily.
- The Messiah: What Doctor Light wanted him to be. Proto Man later realizes he would've been wrong for the role:
''If I was standing where you are I think I would've done what father wants, but now I know what I'd become...."
- Parental Abandonment: Feels abandoned and betrayed by Dr. Light and/or Dr. Wily.
I've met my maker and the man's a liar.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Beside the color of their respective armor, his song is certainly a lot more driven and wrathful than Megaman's.
- Replacement Goldfish: Sees Mega Man as one of these for him.
- The Fatalist: Shows some shades of this in One Last Time.
And he says: "Why do you fight? / How can you say you know what's right? / What if we win? / What if we fall? / Will any choice that we make / matter at all?"
- The Resenter: Hates Mega Man for a number of reasons—claiming he has free will while still obeying Dr. Light, replacing Protoman as Light's son, and perhaps most of all, being built from Protoman's remains.
I had a name, my father called me Blues / He tore my heart from my chest to give to you / I'm not broken, I'm not the Break Man / I was the first, I am the Proto Man!
- Tranquil Fury: Despite how obviously enraged he is, the vocals of his tracks are kept low and sombre, only raised at the end for the Tear Jerker line above. In addition, Gamma Unchained implies the moment he was reactivated, he immediately was driven to anger.
- In History Repeating, Part 2 (One Last Time), he casually greets Rock/Mega Man and challenges him to a fight, speaking in an almost friendly manner despite the hate he has for Mega Man.
Hi, Rock!/My weapon is hot, It's time to throw down/Show me what you got.