This page deals with characters from the Mega Man
franchise, featuring general background information on them and tropes they provide examples of.
Given that there are plenty of expies
scattered throughout the franchise, it is only reasonable that we keep track of them. No matter how much the developers have played with these archetypes, their core elements can still be recognized.
open/close all folders
Mega Man (The Blue Guy)
Proto Man (The Red Guy)
Proto Man are probably the closest thing this series get for a heroic Char Clone
. Proto Man serve as a Big Brother Mentor
who watch Mega Manís back and have quite a Back Story
. Out of the archetypes Proto Man are most likely playable behind Mega Man , either directly of via Power Copying
(heck, in one instance
is the only playable character). Notable Proto Man are Original Proto Man
, Proto Man EXE, Zero EXE
- Aloof Ally: Though how aloof they are varies. Girouette and Ace are quite friendly.
- Always Male: There is no female Proto Man.
- Bash Brothers: With Mega Man.
- Big Brother Mentor: Proto Man played a stealth version to the original Mega Man, while Zero played a more direct version towards X.
- Big Damn Heroes: Their hobby, apparently.
- Deuteragonist: Sometimes, if this role is not taken by Roll. The Zero series reverses the convention: the Red Guy, Zero, is the protagonist, while the Blue Guy, X, is the ally.
- Fighting Your Friend/Fighting the Lancer: Each Mega Man and Proto Man fight each other at least once, though the circumstances vary.
- Heel-Face Turn: Either in backstory or in the game that introduces them. Giro averts this, but we donít know much about him anyway.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Half of them do this, some do it more than once!
- The Lancer: The ones most often fight alongside Mega Man.
- Laser Blade/Sword and Gun: Popularized by Zero. The original Proto Man uses a shield
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Averted, once Mega Man acquire all powerups, Proto Man are outclassed. Played straight in a way as they are popular with the fandom.
- Red Is Heroic/Bring My Red Jacket: They usually wear red armor. Ace wears a blue-and-white police uniform with a red pair of Visualizers.
- The Stoic: They are always calm before fire.
Roll (The Female)
Each series has a girl who helps The Hero
in his missions. These ladiesí importance to the story depends on each series; they can range from Big Good
to glorified item shops. Roll are rarely playable except as secret characters or via Power Copying
. Notable Roll are Original Roll
, Roll Casket
, Roll EXE
, Harp Note
- Always Female
- Blue Boy Pink Girl: Pink/Red girl to Mega Manís blue boy. Ciel averts this, as she is pink girl to Zeroís red boy. Kalinka is blue girl to OVER-1ís white boy, though it might not be canon.
- The Chick/The Heart: They may not fight as well as Mega Man, but Mega Man can always rely on them for tactical and emotional support.
- Combat and Support: Support to Mega Manís combat. The Roll have provided Mega Man with items, upgraded them, guided them, healed them, and dealt out Standard Status Effects.
- Deuteragonist: Sometimes, if Proto Man hasnít stolen the spot.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Mega Man, if they appear as Secret Characters.
- Green Eyes/Innocent Blue Eyes: Their large, pearly eyes are one of their most notable features.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Their other notable feature.
- Mission Control: In the Classic timeline; sometimes border on Stop Helping Me!.
- Nice Girl: They are kind, caring, and considerate to othersí well-being.
- Pink Means Feminine: A good half of them.
- Unresolved SexualTension/Ship Tease: They are implied to have hots for Mega Man, or Proto Man in Cielís and Prairieís cases.
Bass (The Rival)