- Adorkable: He's rather shy and awkward, especially around girls.
- Alliterative Name: Kyousuke Kasuga
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Hikaru's Betty and Madoka's Veronica.
- Butt Monkey: There is no episode where something hilariously bad doesn't happen to this kid.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kyōsuke wouldn't have had to keep up the charade with Hikaru for as long as he did if he had just told her about his true feelings upfront. Then again, he is the Poster Boy for Indecisiveness. (It doesn't help his situation that Madoka, due to her feelings of loyalty for Hikaru, keeps pushing Kyōsuke and Hikaru together despite having feelings for Kyōsuke herself.)
- Clueless Chick Magnet
- Covert Pervert: When he thinks about Madoka.
- The Ditherer: Indecision is his middle name. He's the poster boy for indecisiveness among '80s anime fans.
- Image Song: "Bayside Dancer".
- Intrepid Reporter: In the second movie, Kyōsuke grows into one of these (as a wartime photographer in the former Yugoslavia).
- Nice Guy: Though not exactly flawless, he does have a kind heart underneath the indecision and the laziness.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With Madoka. He's the puppy.
- Psychic Powers: He's a rather powerful telekinetic, teleporter, can potentially Time Travel and hypnotize... himself.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Hikaru's Energetic Girl.
- Unlucky Everydude: Subverted, but he would be a straight example without his Psychic Powers.
- Action Girl: In the first episode she takes on and defeats five male delinquents.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's a beautiful brunette, who is also cool, composed and aloof.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Hikaru's Betty for Kyosuke's Archie.
- Bokukko: When she was a little girl.
- Broken Ace: She's extremely beautiful, smart, and talented at just about everything (gets the top marks in the school, she knows martial arts, is able to play 20 different musical instruments, she can dance, dress so well she gives others fashion advice, etc.). But she's not that good at expressing how she really feels, being actually a troubled girl with a tough past. Before meeting Kyosuke, Hikaru was Madoka's only real friend because many people were afraid of her.
- Broken Bird: This is especially evident in both the next-to-last manga chapter and the first movie, but arrived at in significantly different ways.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards the younger kids.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Even the Girls Want Her: Two girl are attracted to her; Kyōsuke's psychic cousin Akane and one-episode character Shiori from the anime.
- First Girl Wins: in whichever timeline you look at it.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: She's a good person, but her past as a delinquent has totall tainted her rep at school (save for Hikaru and Yuusaku). It's only after the Kasugas approach her that she starts to be seen in another light.
- Image Song: "Whispering Misty Night", "Kaze no manazashi" (used in one of the OAV's when she covers for Yukari in a contest)
- Japanese Delinquents: She is an ex-sukeban, and she's still feared and hated due to the bad fame she acquired.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Dark to Hikaru's Light.
- Meaningful Name: Madoka's name references the night and darkness.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is the source for most of the series's fan service.
- Odd Friendship: With Hikaru.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: She's the pitbull.
- Sexophone: Her first theme song, Madoka no Teema and she's a great Sax player herself.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: How she started with Hikaru (Girly Girl to Hikaru's Tomboy).
- Tsundere: One of the first well known ones. Her complex personality is favourably compared to more modern ones: yesh, she's moody, but she does more than screaming and beating up her love interest
- Alliterative Name: Hikaru Hiyama
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Madoka's Veronica for Kyosuke's Archie.
- Character Exaggeration: In the anime, she goes from a genuine Genki Girl to a straight ditz.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: With borderline Yandere-like tendencies in the first movie, though this is slightly more understandable as not only she's very young but overly stressed over an extremly important audition for a movie and having juuuust found out about Kyosuke and Madoka.
- The Ditz: She has a ditzy, almost childish personality.
- Dumb Blonde: In the anime.
- Genki Girl: Always bubbly, happy, and very excitable.
- The Glomp: "Daaaarliiiiiing!"
- Image Song: "Kogane iro no sakamichi"
- Kawaiiko: A cute, sweet, tomboyish Genki Girl.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Light to Madoka's Dark. Emphasized by their names, personalities, and even hair color.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: To Kyosuke.
- Meaningful Name: Hikaru's name references the sun and light.
- Odd Friendship: With Madoka.
- Romantic False Lead: Basically introduced to be the third wheel of the love triangle, because it's blatantly obvious that Kyosuke/Madoka are meant to be the Official Couple since day one.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Poor girl, she never had a chance to win.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic Girl to Kyosuke's Savvy Guy.
- Shorttank: Hikaru mixes this with some Kawaiiko traits.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She's seen riding on a punk's motorcycle and at first likes Kyousuke for making a super 3-pointer, but soon comes to love him for being a Nice Guy. Conversely, Yuusaku tries to woo her witrh his karate skills, but she totally rejects him.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: When it comes to Kyosuke.
- Alliterative Name: Kurumi Kasuga
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Big Eater: Justified, she's the most gun-ho in the use of her powers and wastes lots of energy on it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She has a weird but lovable personality. She's a bit of a ditz as well.
- Genki Girl
- Image Song: "Yasashii jealousy", alongside Manami.
- Lethal Chef
- The Millstone: Sometimes, when it comes to using her powers without thinking about the consequences.
- Psychic Powers: Again, telekinesis and hypnosis. More than once she manages to hypnotize her brother, and she often uses her telekinesis on the family cat Jingoro
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Manami's blue.
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyousuke/Hikaru in the manga.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Manami's Girly Girl.
- Big Eater: Again, justified. She doesn't use her powers as much as Kurumi does, but they still drain her. Not to mention, she often uses them to fix Kurumi's messes...
- Blind Without 'Em: Poor, poor Manami.
- Image Song: "Yasashii jealousy", alongside Kurumi.
- Meganekko: Manami has one of the more dedicated fanbases in KOR fandom, and her meganekko status plays an important part of this.
- Not So Above It All: She has also a wild side (often thanks to Kurumi's influence).
- Only Sane Woman: Sometimes.
- Psychic Powers: Telekinetic as everyone else, might be a technopath as well.
- The Quiet One: At least compared to her sister.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Kurumi's red.
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyosuke/Madoka in the manga.
- Team Chef: She is depicted as the homemaker of the house, often cooking meals.
- Team Mom: She even helps keep her father in line when he's a little too lax in parenting.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Kurumi's Tomboy.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Inverted, she has a ponytail but she's the Girly Girl.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She is reserved and domestic but Beware the Nice Ones as she is prepared to use telekinesis when the situation calls for it.
Voiced by: Kei Tomiyama
- Good Parents: Is shown as a gentle guy who really loves his three children.
- The Maiden Name Debate: Married into the Kasuga family since his wife Akemi was the only daughter.
- Muggle: The only non-empowered Kasuga
- Team Dad
Voiced by: Yumi Takada (anime)
- Death by Childbirth: She died few after the twins came to this world.
- Posthumous Character
- Psychic Powers: Like her kids, a telekinetic.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She was kind and sweet, but also stubborn and willing to bend the rules a little if she felt it was the right thing to do.
Voiced by: Naoko Matsui (OVA)
- Psychic Powers: Aside of being a telekinetic, she's a Master of Disguise who can make you believe you're interacting with someone else with some bits of hypnosis.
- Shipper on Deck: Introduced as a Hikaru/Kyousuke fan. In fact, she was very pissed at Madoka because she mistakenly thought she was Kyousuke's "other woman"... until she saw her and became infatuated with her.
- Token Yuri Girl: Though there are hints she's more of a token bisexual.
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto (anime)
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Actually, an annoying younger cousin. Then again, he's just five.
- Body Surf: His other power: he can exchange bodies.
- Child Prodigy: For a five year old, Kazuya actually has a surprisingly good control over his abilities.
- Hypocrite: He makes fun of Kyosuke to be indecisive. Turn out that he is in the same situation with two little girls.
- Mouthy Kid: Sometimes.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Basically, Kazuya looks like a tiny Kyousuke. This is lampshaded by Komatsu and Hatta.
- Telepathy: One of the powers he has, aside for (very strong) teleportation and telekinesis.
- Use Your Head: How the Body Surf power is activated by him... Or whoever got exchanged (usually Kyosuke) and wants his body back.
The Kasuga grandparents
- Dirty Old Man: Kyousuke grandpa.
- Flower From The Mountain Top: Granpa asked Takashi to bring him some ice from the mountain as a proof of his love for Akemi. He succeded. With secret help from Akemi herself.
- Psychic Powers: Which the Kasuga kids inherited.
Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata
Voiced by: Masami Kikuchi (anime)
- The Chew Toy: Among the few who are more unlucky than Kyosuke.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Hikaru makes it clear that she doesn't want to date him, yet he keeps going on no matter what she says and often acts like she's his personal property.
- Funny Afro: See his hair?
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Hikaru.
- Yandere: Towards Hikaru, though his self-inflicted bad luck interfers with this.
Seiji Komatsu and Kazuya Hatta
Voiced by: Keiichi Nanba (Komatsu) and Naoki Tatsuta (Hatta)
Voiced by: Yoshiko Sakakibara (Madoka's mom), Hideyuki Umezu (Madoka's dad)
- Elegant Classical Musician: Madoka's mother is a famous violinist and hinted to be the one she inherited her looks from.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Madoka once runs away from home when she mistakenly thinks her dad's two-timing her mom.
- Parents as People: They love Madoka and she loves them back, but they travel through the world due to their job and only appear counted times. And we never see their faces clearly.
Madoka's older sister
Voiced by: Maria Kawamura (anime)
- No Name Given
- Promotion to Parent: She raised her little sister Madoka in lieu of the Ayukawa's heavy workload, until she got married.
Voiced by: Eiko Yamada (speaking voice), Kanako Wada (singing voice)
- Cool Big Sis
- Idol Singer: She is the singer of her and her boyfriend Shu's pop band.
- Image Song: "Salvia no hana no you ni"
- Mrs. Robinson: Kyousuke thinks she wants him, at first, and imagines the scenario.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships her boyfriend's cousin Madoka with Kyousuke. She even uses a long red thread to kinda link them up as she's performing.
- The Tease
Voiced by: Shigeru Nakahara