open/close all folders
- Adorkable: He's rather shy and awkward, especially around girls.
- Alliterative Name: Kyousuke Kasuga
- Author Avatar: Izumi Matsumoto has admitted that Kyosuke is based on himself.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Hikaru's Betty and Madoka's Veronica.
- Butt Monkey: There is no episode where something hilariously bad doesn't happen to this kid.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kyōsuke wouldn't have had to keep up the charade with Hikaru for as long as he did if he had just told her about his true feelings upfront. Then again, he is the Poster Boy for Indecisiveness. (It doesn't help his situation that Madoka, due to her feelings of loyalty for Hikaru, keeps pushing Kyōsuke and Hikaru together despite having feelings for Kyōsuke herself.)
- Clueless Chick Magnet
- Covert Pervert: When he thinks about Madoka.
- The Ditherer: Indecision is his middle name. He's the poster boy for indecisiveness among '80s anime fans.
- Dub Name Change: Johnny in the Italian and Spanish dub, Max (short for "Maxime") in the French Dub.
- Image Song: "Bayside Dancer".
- Insecure Love Interest: Kyosuke is in love with Madoka, but he thinks he isn't and will never be good enough for her. He thinks that she's beautiful, intelligent, mature... and compared to her, he looks like a kid.
- Intrepid Reporter: In the second movie, Kyōsuke grows into one of these (as a wartime photographer in the former Yugoslavia).
- Nice Guy: Though not exactly flawless, he does have a kind heart underneath the indecision and the laziness.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With Madoka. He's the puppy.
- Psychic Powers: He's a rather powerful telekinetic, teleporter, can potentially Time Travel and hypnotize... himself.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Hikaru's Energetic Girl.
- Unlucky Everydude: Subverted, but he would be a straight example without his Psychic Powers.
- Academic Athlete: Gets some of the top marks at school and is very good at sports.
- Action Girl: In the first episode she takes on and defeats five male delinquents.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's a beautiful brunette, who is also cool, composed and aloof.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Always gets into fights but always remains pretty. Contrast this with Kyosuke who gets badly injured after his ridiculous stunts.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Hikaru's Betty for Kyosuke's Archie.
- Bokukko: When she was a little girl.
- Broken Ace: She's extremely beautiful, smart, and talented at just about everything (gets the top marks in the school, she knows martial arts, is able to play 20 different musical instruments, she can dance, dress so well she gives others fashion advice, etc.). But she's not that good at expressing how she really feels, being actually a troubled girl with a tough past. Before meeting Kyosuke, Hikaru was Madoka's only real friend because many people were afraid of her.
- Broken Bird: This is especially evident in both the next-to-last manga chapter and the first movie, but arrived at in significantly different ways.
- Buxom Is Better: Her "adult figure" is often used for Fanservice and adds to her mature allure.
- The Charmer: Gives a boy she had just met a kiss on the lips so he will perform a favor for her.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards the younger kids.
- Dub Name Change: She's called "Sabrina" in the Italian, French, and Spanish dub.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Two girl are attracted to her; Kyōsuke's psychic cousin Akane and one-episode character Shiori from the anime.
- Expy: Of Akina Nakamori's stage persona and Phoebe Cates's characters. She is most similar to Linda from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Unlike Linda though, Madoka has no sexual experience.
- First Girl Wins: in whichever timeline you look at it.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: She's a good person, but her past as a delinquent has totally tainted her rep at school (save for Hikaru and Yuusaku). It's only after the Kasugas approach her that she starts to be seen in another light.
- Image Song: "Whispering Misty Night", "Kaze no manazashi" (used in one of the OAV's when she covers for Yukari in a contest)
- Japanese Delinquents: She is an ex-sukeban, and she's still feared and hated due to the bad fame she acquired.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Dark to Hikaru's Light.
- Male Gaze: Her body is constantly shown from the perspective of Kyosuke with focus on her legs, breasts, hips, etc.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: For Kyosuke. She isn't bubbly like Hikaru though.
- Meaningful Name: Madoka's name references the night and darkness.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is the main source of fanservice in the series and could fill out a whole page of sexy tropes.
- Mysterious Past: She had some kind of tough past as a sukeban but it's never elaborated on.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: She never has a boyfriend before meeting Kyosuke. Despite her troublemaking, partying, drugs, flirtatiousness, and mature experiences - she is still a virgin because she is "not that type of girl" as though having sex is somehow worse than the fact that she has committed numerous illegal activities with other gangsters. It really does not mesh with the rest of the personality.
- Odd Friendship: With Hikaru.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: She's the pitbull.
- Sexophone: Her first theme song, Madoka no Teema and she's a great Sax player herself.
- She's Got Legs: The camera often shows off her nicely shaped legs and she combines it with Zettai Ryouiki.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She shows both her sides (aloof or friendly) alternately.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She was the tomboy to Hikaru's girly girl in their youth. Now they are Light Feminine and Dark Feminine but both with some tomboy tendencies.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In the first movie, she tells Kyosuke to break it off with Hikaru as soon as he can and has no regards for hurting Hikaru's feelings if if it means she can be with Kyosuke.
- Troubled, but Cute: A female example.
- Tsundere: One of the first well known ones. Her complex personality is favourably compared to more modern ones: yesh, she's moody, but she does more than screaming and beating up her love interest.
- Urban Legend Love Life: The Chaste Flirt variation. Kyosuke always discovers the guys she is "dating" turn out to be relatives or just friends.
- What Does She See in Him?: People wonder why she would be interested in Kysouke, the question is never answered.
- Alliterative Name: Hikaru Hiyama
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Madoka's Veronica for Kyosuke's Archie.
- Character Exaggeration: In the anime, she goes from a genuine Genki Girl to a straight ditz.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: With borderline Yandere-like tendencies in the first movie, though this is slightly more understandable as not only she's very young but overly stressed over an extremly important audition for a movie and having juuuust found out about Kyosuke and Madoka.
- The Ditz: She has a ditzy, almost childish personality.
- Dub Name Change: "Tinetta" in the Italian dub, "Pamela" in the French Dub, "Rosa" in the Spanish dub.
- Dumb Blonde: In the anime, sometimes she has traits of this. She is both blonde and airheaded, in contrast to dark-haired, intelligent Madoka. Of course, this is flanderized to death by her haters.
- Genki Girl: Always bubbly, happy, and very excitable.
- The Glomp: "Daaaarliiiiiing!"
- Image Song: "Kogane iro no sakamichi"
- Kawaiiko: A cute, sweet, tomboyish Genki Girl.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Light to Madoka's Dark. Emphasized by their names, personalities, and even hair color.
- Meaningful Name: Hikaru's name references the sun and light.
- Odd Friendship: With Madoka.
- Only Friend: She has been Madoka's best and almost only friend for several years.
- Romantic False Lead: Basically introduced to be the third wheel of the love triangle, because it's blatantly obvious that Kyosuke/Madoka are meant to be the Official Couple since day one.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Poor girl, she never had a chance to win.
- Satellite Love Interest: She's just there to be the third corner of the love triangle. Madoka receives much more focus but neither girl's psyche is explored in depth.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic Girl to Kyosuke's Savvy Guy.
- Shorttank: Hikaru mixes this with some Kawaiiko traits.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She's seen riding on a punk's motorcycle and at first likes Kyousuke for making a super 3-pointer, but soon comes to love him for being a Nice Guy. Conversely, Yuusaku tries to woo her with his karate skills, but she totally rejects him.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: When it comes to Kyosuke.
- Alliterative Name: Kurumi Kasuga
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Big Eater: Justified, she's the most gun-ho in the use of her powers and wastes lots of energy on it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She has a weird but lovable personality. She's a bit of a ditz as well.
- Dub Name Change: "Simona" in the Italian dub, "Fanny" in the French dub, "Tamara" in the Spanish dub.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Foolish to Manami's Responsible.
- Genki Girl: The most energetic of the twins.
- Image Song: "Yasashii jealousy", alongside Manami.
- Lethal Chef
- The Millstone: Sometimes, when it comes to using her powers without thinking about the consequences.
- Psychic Powers: Again, telekinesis and hypnosis. More than once she manages to hypnotize her brother, and she often uses her telekinesis on the family cat Jingoro
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Manami's blue.
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyousuke/Hikaru in the manga.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Manami's Girly Girl.
- Big Eater: Again, justified. She doesn't use her powers as much as Kurumi does, but they still drain her. Not to mention, she often uses them to fix Kurumi's messes...
- Blind Without 'Em: Poor, poor Manami.
- Dub Name Change: "Manuela" in the Italian, French, and Spanish dub (nicknamed "Manu" in the French one).
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible to Kurumi's Foolish.
- Image Song: "Yasashii jealousy", alongside Kurumi.
- Meganekko: Manami has one of the more dedicated fanbases in KOR fandom, and her meganekko status plays an important part of this.
- Not So Above It All: She has also a wild side (often thanks to Kurumi's influence).
- Only Sane Woman: Sometimes.
- Psychic Powers: Telekinetic as everyone else, might be a technopath as well.
- The Quiet One: At least compared to her sister.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Kurumi's red.
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyosuke/Madoka in the manga.
- Team Chef: She is depicted as the homemaker of the house, often cooking meals.
- Team Mom: She even helps keep her father in line when he's a little too lax in parenting.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Kurumi's Tomboy.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Inverted, she has a ponytail but she's the Girly Girl.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She is reserved and domestic but Beware the Nice Ones as she is prepared to use telekinesis when the situation calls for it.
Voiced by: Kei Tomiyama
Voiced by: Yumi Takada (anime)
Voiced by: Naoko Matsui (OVA)
- Psychic Powers: Aside of being a telekinetic, she's a Master of Disguise who can make you believe you're interacting with someone else with some bits of hypnosis.
- Shipper on Deck: Introduced as a Hikaru/Kyousuke fan. In fact, she was very pissed at Madoka because she mistakenly thought she was Kyousuke's "other woman"... until she saw her and became infatuated with her.
- Token Yuri Girl: Though there are hints she's more of a token bisexual.
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto (anime)
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Actually, an annoying younger cousin. Then again, he's just five.
- Body Surf: His other power: he can exchange bodies.
- Child Prodigy: For a five year old, Kazuya actually has a surprisingly good control over his abilities.
- Hypocrite: He makes fun of Kyosuke to be indecisive. Turn out that he is in the same situation with two little girls.
- Mouthy Kid: Sometimes.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Basically, Kazuya looks like a tiny Kyousuke. This is lampshaded by Komatsu and Hatta.
- Telepathy: One of the powers he has, aside for (very strong) teleportation and telekinesis.
- Use Your Head: How the Body Surf power is activated by him... Or whoever got exchanged (usually Kyosuke) and wants his body back.
The Kasuga grandparents
Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata
Voiced by: Masami Kikuchi (anime)
- The Chew Toy: Among the few who are more unlucky than Kyosuke.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Hikaru makes it clear that she doesn't want to date him, yet he keeps going on no matter what she says and often acts like she's his personal property.
- Funny Afro: See his hair?
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Hikaru.
- Yandere: Towards Hikaru, though his self-inflicted bad luck interfers with this.
Seiji Komatsu and Kazuya Hatta
Voiced by: Keiichi Nanba (Komatsu) and Naoki Tatsuta (Hatta)
Voiced by: Yoshiko Sakakibara (Madoka's mom), Hideyuki Umezu (Madoka's dad)
- Elegant Classical Musician: Madoka's mother is a famous violinist and hinted to be the one she inherited her looks from.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Madoka once runs away from home when she mistakenly thinks her dad's two-timing her mom.
- Parents as People: They love Madoka and she loves them back, but they travel through the world due to their job and only appear counted times. And we never see their faces clearly.
Madoka's older sister
Voiced by: Maria Kawamura (anime)
Voiced by: Eiko Yamada (speaking voice), Kanako Wada (singing voice)
- Cool Big Sis
- Idol Singer: She is the singer of her and her boyfriend Shu's pop band.
- Image Song: "Salvia no hana no you ni"
- Mrs. Robinson: Kyousuke thinks she wants him, at first, and imagines the scenario.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships her boyfriend's cousin Madoka with Kyousuke. She even uses a long red thread to kinda link them up as she's performing.
- The Tease
Voiced by: Shigeru Nakahara