YMMV: Kimagure Orange Road
- Crowning Music of Awesome: With Shirou Sagisu as the head composer, you bet your ass this series has awesome music by the wazoo.
- Die for Our Ship: Hikaru has been bashed and hated for decades by rabid Madoka/Kyōsuke shippers. See Revenge Fic.
- Fanon: There is a great deal of fanon about Takeshi and Akemi. Fanon has it that Takeshi had at least one older brother, and Akemi's only siblings were female. Takeshi thus took on the surname Kasuga (his wife's name), and this is why Akane and Kazuya's last names are Kasuga. However, the problem is that Kazuya and Akane's surnames have NEVER been given, either in the anime or manga. It's also quite possible that this bit of lore was created by usenet discussions back in the late 80s where it would be necessary to differentiate between the Akane the poster was talking about (Ranma 1/2's or KO Rs) hence leading to Akane being called Akane Kasuga. There is also an inherent contradiction, since if Akemi only had sisters, Akane and Kazuya would have a different last name anyway.
- Italians Love È Quasi Magia Johnny: Back in the day the anime was wildly popular in Italy with the name È Quasi Magia Johnny, and is still regarded as a classic.
- Narm: All of the English dialogue in the "Hawaiian Suspense" OVA.
"We TOLD ya to bring AAAAALL of da MONEY!" "BAAT! We aa onrienjunior HIGH! We don't get, zat much, all-LOW-ance!""We gonna trow you off da OCEAN... at WAI-KI-KI." "An' feed ya to da SHAAKS!"
- The Scrappy: Hikaru, and not just for Die for Our Ship reasons.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The background music during a Superman sequence comes this close to the classic movie theme, without breaking into the good part (and breaking copyright).
- Also Yusaku.
- Values Dissonance: Sadly, for all of the trope codifying it set in its day, the manga as a whole has not aged well, specially in regards to sexism and double standards.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: The situations, tropes, character arcs, etc. now common in many romantic comedy manga and anime probably originate from here.