This is a list of the characters from the webcomic Flipside
Be aware: the comic's nature is NSFW
, so click the links to it at your own risk.
open/close all folders
Veranda "Maytag" Kingfisher
in a jester costume who is an expert on all things related to sex and sexuality. She's also athletic, a master of potion use, wise beyond her years
and has placed all her skill points
into Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive
. Her only weakness is that her incredible confidence comes from the jester suit that she wears
, and without it she reverts to a shy, timid shadow of her former self
- An Arm and a Leg: She allows Bloody Mary to chew her arm off from the wrist up (she'd already eaten the hand) in a play for time.
- Anything That Moves: She deconstructs this trope; she starts out the series an unabashed hedonist but gets less and less willing to take sexual risks as the consequences of her actions threaten her relationship with Bernadette.
- Bag of Holding: She has a "Dimensional Bag".
- Battle Couple: With Bernadette.
- Blithe Spirit: Before she compromises herself with Bernadette.
- Breaking Speech: Delivers one to Bloody Mary after she ate her arm, albeit a kind one.
- Broken Bird: Her entire character is a downplayed version of this; despite her traumatic past, she's so much of a Blithe Spirit as to nearly be The Unfettered but there are hints of a darker side underneath.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Subverted. Up to Chapter 30: Blackbird, her often absurd self-confidence was directly tied to her jester outfit. In that chapter, it's revealed that she has always been self-confident and the two personalities are simply part of her performance.
- Emotionless Girl
- Feel No Pain: How she was able to "resist" pain.
- Good Bad Girl
- Life or Limb Decision: She willingly sacrifices her arm to give herself time to talk Bloody Mary out of killing her.
- Lovable Rogue
- Magic Feather: Her costume.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She really enjoys playing this role, most prominently for Regina and Crest.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Marshmallow Hell: In Chapter 4: Sexual Tension, she pushed Crest's face to her chest when trying to get him to open up.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nice Hat
- Rape as Drama: She's not above submitting to rape, if it's the only way to save the ones she loves. She states outright that her attitude to sexuality makes rape much less traumatic to her than to the average person.
- Selective Obliviousness: Her lack of, and complete inability to understand, modesty.
- Sexy Jester
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Understands the nudity taboo most people have, but doesn't believe in it. Extends it from "no nudity taboo" to "no sexuality taboo". Remains mostly tamed due to being in a relationship. Best summed up here.
- Showing Off the New Body: Her first action while possessing Regina was groping herself.
- Talking Is a Free Action: One sometimes wonders if one of her magical powers is to get people to stop fighting as long as her mouth keeps moving. This is also done a lot in the second fight scene between Bloody Mary and Bernadette.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Her MO is to be so bluntly matter of fact about her ability to defeat you that you hesitate... often fatally.
- Talking Your Way Out: After being captured by Bloody Mary.
- Too Kinky to Torture: She has learned to accept pain rather than fight it, allowing her to be virtually impervious to torture and even mutilation. One scene has her smiling gently as her arm is being eaten, much to the dismay of the person doing the eating.
- Warrior Therapist: Especially in the chapters dedicated to Bloody Mary.
A Lady of War
and Maytag's long-time companion and friend. She is a master of the Split Rose Dual Wielding
technique, which focuses entirely on parrying and counterattacking your opponent.
- Badass Normal: She doesn't use sorcery, but that doesn't keep her from taking on sorcery-enhanced opponents.
- Battle Couple: With Maytag.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A mild version, but she's averse to anyone seeing Maytag naked.
- Counter Attack: The "Split Rose" technique is based on this. She eventually gets put in a situation where she uses said counter attacks barehanded to great effect.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In Chapter 4: Sexual Tension. Voulger stood no chance.
- Daughter of a Whore
- Dual Wielding
- Fighting Your Friend: Chapter 16: Man-Eating, from Book Zero, is the introduction of Clairen, an old acquaintance of Bernadette. In this chapter, and the next, Chapter 17: The Battle Of Old Friends, Bern is forced to battle against her, as part of her deal with Seraph.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A scar on her cheek.
- Honor Before Reason: Her Refusal of the Call
- Refusal of the Call: She chooses to come out of the closet rather than join the Knights.
- Skunk Stripe
- The Worf Effect: She can't do well against spellcasters and magically-enhanced fighters despite being invincible against any normal swordsman.
A young skilled rogue, and the son of a famous knight. In an effort to raise enough money to pay for an operation to restore his mother's eyesight, he falls into the dangerous world of underground gambling. When he is caught using sleight of hand at a high stakes poker game, his life as he knew it would change...
Allies and friends
Self-proclaimed "toughest mercenary" of Vestige Town, and self-appointed "bodyguard" of Maytag. He only appears in Book Zero.
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Maytag.
- Knight in Shining Armor
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: The reason he rejected to fight against the Black Poison Angels. So much that Maytag has a hard time insisting until he gets to fight against them, and even then he doesn't fight with all of his will.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Mistaken for Gay: In the last panel of this strip.
Asylum local: Hi there, handsome. Would you like to make me feel like a woman?
- Out of Focus: A very minor character. He only appears in the first chapters of Book Zero.
- Tempting Fate:
- In the first chapters of Book Zero, Maytag wants to know if all the skills he says he has is real. So, she drags him to The Asylum first...
Maytag: So you want to be my bodyguard, right? That's fine with me... but I'll have to take you out for a test-run first, of course, before I say yes!
- ...and later she makes him confront against the Black Poison Angels.
Maytag: I would like to see how well you perform with a sword...
Bernadette: I'll have you know my skill with a sword is top-notch, thank you very much!!!
Maytag: Shall we put that to test? I'd like you to meet some friends of mine... this is Prim, Ashley and Lilia.
Umber and Dirk
A genius Level 3 sorceress with an ego to match. Is hit hard after Kin is killed, and is more regretful of her previous arrogance.
The former leader of the Steel Serpent Gang and Bernadette's old crush. She reformed and now works as an Enforcer in Marvollo.
An old friend of Bernadette, who turned into a deadly assassin. She has a tattoo covering the right part of her body.
- Expy: Of Josuke Higashikata, or possibly of Araki characters in general. He even shouts "ORA! ORA! ORA!" when attacking.
The Thin Man's trusted minion. He was the one who brought in Bloody Mary and gave her advice on killing.
The Thin Man
The Black Poison Angels
An Amazon Brigade
of three women, Prim, Ashley and Lilia, who appear in Book Zero.
A Level 3 wizard, who's also the master of both Regina and Lucient. He hires Bernadette in Book Zero in order to grant them protection.
- Kill It with Fire: How he killed Clairen in Chapter 18: Many Plans Come To Fruition, from Book Zero.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Though not actual mindreading, his talent has the same implications.
- Blessed with Suck: His curse allows him to see everyone's weaknesses has left him a bitter misanthrope.
- Hidden Eyes: Initially, this was assumed to be because he was always so horribly depressing, emo, sarky, goth, etc. It turns out that he had magical eyes which caused him to only see the worst in people, causing both his BAD attitude and his hiding of his very weird-looking eyes.
- Jerk Ass: Though not without justification.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: He pulls this on Maytag in Chapter 23: Silhouette. Subverted when he doesn't follow through.
A cannibalistic monster created by The Thin Man. She terrorized the town of Brahma, but gives her tragic story after an encounter with Maytag.