We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Ooh la la.
Ah, clowns, who likes those creeps? They're either scary as hell
, or so silly
you can't take them seriously. But what's this? A new character donning motley that's just a little too tight
? Could this makeup-wearing joker actually be attractive? Might be a Cute Mute
if she's a mime
. Usually a Manic Pixie Dream Girl
for the heroes, or a Perky Female Minion
for the bad guys.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Harleen Quinzel, a.k.a. Harley Quinn, lady love of The Joker.
- Jewelee, one of of the Punch and Jewelee villain duo, in The DCU.
- The DCU has had multiple villains called Harlequin (mostly foes of Green Lantern) who all fit this description.
- The Joker's Daughter, one-time member of the Teen Titans.
- The Ame-Comi Girls variant of the above Joker's Daughter, a.k.a. Duella Dent, holds her own selective fanbase in this regard.
- The androgynous, enigmatic, albino Fool, from Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy has this effect on many a female reader, as well as Fitz, the main character, later on.
- Kefka is quite a Bishōnen in concept art.
- The game too. Remove the white/purple skin (or keep it if that's your thing) and he could be quite the looker.
- Harle of Chrono Cross wears a mostly skintight outfit, and "pants" that cover her legs, but are completely transparent.
- In City of Heroes, The Carnival of Shadows is mostly staffed with these.
- Dragon Quest III has Jesters as a character class. Male Jesters are clowns in pink and purple pinstripes, while female Jesters wear Playboy Bunny outfits. To top it off, the Personality system used in the various remakes makes it possible to have a literal Sexy Jester.
- A good portion of the NiGHTS fanbase thinks this about Reala, and NiGHTS Zirself to some extent.
- AdventureQuest Worlds has holiday/Christmas jester outfits which look like cut-open leotards on female characters. The very first version had the stomach and most of the breasts exposed.
- Gotham City Impostors' take on Harley Quinn stands out, notably for her green hair, dress, tights and bunny slippers, but more so for her clown grin and real life counterpart.
- Taken Up to Eleven with Harley in Batman: Arkham City.
- Fire Emblem Awakening has the Trickster class, which visually resemble jesters sans make-up. Of specific note are the beautiful redhad and series mascot Anna and the deranged but not that bad-looking King Gangrel both of whom the Player Character can recruit and marry. Other characters can be either promoted (Gaius or a Morgan fathered by Gaius) or reclassed and then promoted into Tricksters (Kellam, Lon'qu, the Avatar themself, and/or a Kid from the Future who gets the Thief->Trickster reclass option from one of their parents)
- This combines the Sexy Jester with Body Paint.
- Typically averted with Commedia dell'Arte. In contrast to all the sexy female "Harlequins" alluded to above, the original Harlequin (or Arlecchino) was a man, and one usually portrayed as romantically hapless.
- Being the clown girl has transcended cosplay and inspired by current media trends and evolved to an actual lifestyle for some girls. Typically associated with the goth lifestyle, these persons wear the look for more than show, and live the character and subscribe to ideologies matching the clown as well, naturally, qualifying for this trope as this is seen in some circles as a form of sexiness, in some cases a taboo. As well, the introduction of the DC Comics character Harley Quinn has inspired many girls to be just like her and present themselves in such a way daily. Especially in the case of many well known cosplayers, whom get in costume and face paint for daily outings and not just the event floorshows. The cosplayer for the game Gotham City Imposters version of Harley Quinn has become somewhat of an icon at this time of writing as a pin-up girl, transcending the actual video game character in popularity as well. Art imitates life, and life imitates art, or " Don't dream it, be it " as the Rocky Horror Picture Show would imply.
- Clown Couture is a form of fashion that specifies itself around artistic interpretation of the clown, the circus, and the clown mentality and outlook on life. Clown Porn is the generic label for an entire sect of the adult entertainment industry that is specifically clown and or circus themed oriented. Generally attached to the porn sub-genre Pornomedy, it covers a wide range of mediums, from film to photographic studies to the more celebrated live performances and combined with Clown Couture, stands aside the industry as its own eclectic art form. Adult film star Lexi Belle is noted for having indulged in craft, as well Apnea is a modern star. The genre's noted pioneer is the late Hollie Stevens, whom herself was an actual licensed professional clown having followed in her brothers footsteps, performing the art in all of it's mediums, and was dedicated to accelerating, promoting and evolving the entire genre while using her notoriety and proceeds to aid in the fight against cancer, herself being a sufferer, and has inspired fellow performer Ginny Blossom to follow her in driving the clown girl craft.