open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- As usual (like every Fanservice trope), Mahou Sensei Negima!'s cast contains one of these: Zazie Rainyday (pictured above) is a clown/mime girl with an talent for acrobatics, animal training and juggling. Her outfit for doing these things was clearly meant to invoke this image.
- Busou Renkin has Papillon, maybe he's Fan Disservice to some, but a ripped, Stripperiffic villain who wears a male ballerina's outfit with a butterfly mask on seems to fit the jester motif.
- Hunter × Hunter has the Bishōnen Monster Clown Hisoka as a male example.
- This is one of Sakura's costumes. Of course, when your costume designer is madly in love with you, what do you expect?
- Also, several of the Clow Cards themselves qualify as this.
- Pierrot from Yakitate!! Japan. The name gives it away too easily.
- Harleen Quinzel, a.k.a. Harley Quinn, lady love of The Joker.
- Jewelee, one of of the Punch and Jewelee villain duo, in The DCU.
- The DCU has had multiple villains called Harlequin (mostly foes of Green Lantern) who all fit this description.
- The Joker's Daughter, one-time member of the Teen Titans.
- The Ame-Comi Girls variant of the above Joker's Daughter, a.k.a. Duella Dent, holds her own selective fanbase in this regard.
- The androgynous, enigmatic, albino Fool, from Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy has this effect on many a female reader, as well as Fitz, the main character, later on.
Live Action TV
- Joker Poker is famous for its three curvacious female jokers on the backglass.
- Warhammer 40,000 has the Eldar Harlequins. They're Space Elves, a lot of them are female, and they're incredibly athletic and wear form-fitting jester outfits. They also kill people with horrific weapons, including a mono-molecular thin wire that melts people from the inside.
- Kefka is quite a Bishōnen in concept art.
- The game too. Remove the white/purple skin (or keep it if that's your thing) and he could be quite the looker.
- Harle of Chrono Cross wears a mostly skintight outfit, and "pants" that cover her legs, but are completely transparent. The pseudo-French accent complements the effect.
- In City of Heroes, The Carnival of Shadows is mostly staffed with these.
- Dragon Quest III has Jesters as a character class. Male Jesters are clowns in pink and purple pinstripes, while female Jesters wear Playboy Bunny outfits. To top it off, the Personality system used in the various remakes makes it possible to have a literal Sexy Jester.
- A good portion of the NiGHTS fanbase thinks this about Reala, and NiGHTS Zirself to some extent.
- AdventureQuest Worlds has holiday/Christmas jester outfits which look like cut-open leotards on female characters. The very first version had the stomach and most of the breasts exposed.
- Gotham City Impostors' take on Harley Quinn stands out, notably for her green hair, dress, tights and bunny slippers, but more so for her clown grin and real life counterpart.
- Taken Up to 11 with Harley in Batman: Arkham City.
- Fire Emblem:
- Fire Emblem Awakening has the Trickster class aka one of the promotions for Thieves (the other being Assassin); visually resemble jesters sans make-up. Of specific note are the beautiful redhad and series mascot Anna and the deranged but not that bad-looking King Gangrel both of whom the Player Character can recruit and marry. Other characters can be either promoted (Gaius or a Morgan fathered by Gaius) or reclassed and then promoted into Tricksters (Kellam, Lon'qu, the Avatar themself, and/or a Kid from the Future who gets the Thief->Trickster reclass option from one of their parents)
- Fire Emblem Fates renames the Thief/Tricksters to Outlaws/Adventurers and switches them from sword users to archers, but are basically the same. Anna can be again promoted into it and so can the Tall, Dark, and Snarky Niles and Niles' daughter aka the very cute Nina, while the borderline Silver Fox Shura and the potentially recruitable Funke and Candace are already there. At the same time the chance to reclass a character into Thief and Trickster is amplified: now a character can not only have the option from the beginning or, if a Second Gen character, inherit it from one of his/her parents, but some can use the upport System to either marry or befriend a Trickster and then inherit the class from him/her.
- Harley Quinn. Batman may not notice, but The Joker sure does (or at least pretends to, being essentially Asexual). The Joker himself occasionally counts, especially when Heath Ledger (and to a lesser extant Mark Hamill) played him.
- Despite Ledger's Joker's disgustingly disfigured face, that is. And his annoying lip smacking.
- Daphne's short-skirted clown outfit in Big Top Scooby-Doo! certainly qualifies.
- This combines the Sexy Jester with Body Paint.
- Typically averted with Commedia dell'Arte. In contrast to all the sexy female "Harlequins" alluded to above, the original Harlequin (or Arlecchino) was a man, and one usually portrayed as romantically hapless.
- Being the clown girl has transcended cosplay and inspired by current media trends and evolved to an actual lifestyle for some girls. Typically associated with the goth lifestyle, these persons wear the look for more than show, and live the character and subscribe to ideologies matching the clown as well, naturally, qualifying for this trope as this is seen in some circles as a form of sexiness, in some cases a taboo. As well, the introduction of the DC Comics character Harley Quinn has inspired many girls to be just like her and present themselves in such a way daily. Especially in the case of many well known cosplayers, whom get in costume and face paint for daily outings and not just the event floorshows. The cosplayer for the game Gotham City Imposters version of Harley Quinn has become somewhat of an icon at this time of writing as a pin-up girl, transcending the actual video game character in popularity as well. Art imitates life, and life imitates art, or " Don't dream it, be it " as the Rocky Horror Picture Show would imply.
- Clown Couture is a form of fashion that specifies itself around artistic interpretation of the clown, the circus, and the clown mentality and outlook on life. Clown Porn is the generic label for an entire sect of the adult entertainment industry that is specifically clown and or circus themed oriented. Generally attached to the porn sub-genre Pornomedy, it covers a wide range of mediums, from film to photographic studies to the more celebrated live performances and combined with Clown Couture, stands aside the industry as its own eclectic art form. Adult film star Lexi Belle is noted for having indulged in craft, as well Apnea is a modern star. The genre's noted pioneer is the late Hollie Stevens, whom herself was an actual licensed professional clown having followed in her brothers footsteps, performing the art in all of it's mediums, and was dedicated to accelerating, promoting and evolving the entire genre while using her notoriety and proceeds to aid in the fight against cancer, herself being a sufferer, and has inspired fellow performer Ginny Blossom to follow her in driving the clown girl craft.