open/close all folders
, a young boy who desires to go to the Monster Tower not only to earn money for his family, but discover his father's fate.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Selfi will eventually admit she loves you despite her brother's protests, Mia will stalk you everywhere you go, Cherrl will defend your honour until she faints from it, and Nico has been taken with you since you were kids.
- All-Loving Hero: Even after being treated like dirt all his life, once Koh works up some money in the tower, you can earn the respect of absolutely everyone in the town, with the exception of Ghosh... and at one point the two of you can work together to cheer Vivian up. Koh will pay for the construction/refurbishing of almost every public entertainment building, plus the church and the library, out of his own pocket. He'll find an impossibly rare herb to cure Cherrl, and eventually someone will even start selling shirts with Koh's face on them.
- Anime Hair: Gets it from his dad.
- Bad Bad Acting: Depending on the player's decisions, this can be the result of the play he can do. If he messes up three times, he gets knocked out. Regardless, the comedy skit itself doesn't seem to be that great.
- Badass Normal
- The Beastmaster: It seems that he inherited his father's ability to have great control over familiars.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Just because he's good with the ladies doesn't mean he's a weak fighter.
- Big Brother Instinct: Part of the reason he goes to the tower is to find enough treasure to provide for his little sister Weedy. And eventually he provides for/improves the entire town.
- Big Eater: Seems to be able to eat quite a lot if Patti's sidequest is any indication.
- Broken Ace: He's talented and eventually beloved by all of the ladies and the townspeople, but there are times where it's obvious that his father's death still weighs heavily on his heart, especially when he finds out that Beldo killed him.
- The Casanova: Since he can get all the girls in his game to be his girlfriend, excluding his own family and random npcs, it's no surprise he's this.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: To describe it better, caught bathing outside. Two girls will sometimes walk while Koh is bathing in the first house you get, and will giggle seeing him bath. Koh doesn't seem too embarrassed by this.
- Chick Magnet: While not at first, later in the game becomes one. Big time.
- Childhood Friends: With Nico.
- Child Prodigy: The first hunter in a long time to be able to climb the tower, and only at the age of 15.
- Coming-of-Age Story: The game officially begins when Koh is 15, and is allowed to enter the monster tower.
- Covered in Kisses: If the largest house size is obtained, there's a possible 4 girls that kiss him before he can even step out of the door. Oddly enough, they seem fine in sharing him.
- Smooch of Victory: Koh gets these every time he escapes the tower, and one of his girlfriends wakes him up in the morning.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Drunk on Milk: Technically it's cola, but Koh still passes out from it.
- Elemental Punch: If he lacks a weapon, he can still use his own fist in combination with mixture magic.
- Megaton Punch: He can do a lot of damage using only his fist, especially if he gets a critical hit.
- Genius Bruiser: He's strong and has to use strategy to maneuver through the tower.
- Teen Genius: Which directly places him in this category.
- Greater Need Than Mine: He can use his money to help people an the town grow and flourish.
- Heavy Sleeper
- Heroic Mime: Only a little bit. He speaks through the player's decision in what he'll say, but otherwise has no dialogue of his own.
- The Hero
- Jumped at the Call: The very day he hits 15, he seeks to become an adventurer. Kewne has to stop him and point out he doesn't know what's doing before he enters and hurts himself.
- Likes Older Women: With Selfi, Fur, and Vivian anyways.
- Inverted with Patti and Mia, the youngest of the girls. Averted with Nico and Cherrl, who are the only ones the same age as Koh.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Subverted, but only at first. Once Koh reaches the higher levels, everyone starts comparing him to his legendary father.
- Nice Guy: Helps build up the town. He's also this to a few girlfriends.
- One Head Taller: Much taller than either Mia or Cherrl, but granted, the two are very short.
- Playing with Fire: When Koh uses fire element orbs.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite their coloring, this is inverted with Koh and Nico, considering that he's the Blue Oni to her Red Oni.
- However, this is played straight with Koh and Ghosh, considering that he's the Red Oni to Ghosh's Blue Oni.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Koh himself isn't evil, but Fur seems to think his eyes are "wild".
- Red-Headed Hero: Gets it from his father.
- The Rival: To Ghosh.
- Simple Staff: One of two viable options to fight with.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his father, Guy. He even inherited his father's hair style.
- Super Reflexes: Will sometimes jump aside when he gets attacked, time pausing for a second to show that he knows the attack is coming and dodges it. Better exemplified with Bow Trolls, whose attacks Koh has a higher chance of dodging.
- Took a Level in Badass: The once annoying kid who everyone looks down upon eventually becomes a celebrity, going to higher floors than anyone else (aside from Guy). He even gets popular enough to have people freak out by his presence, and later on they make T-shirts with his face on them. He can even potentially get SEVEN different girlfriends, some of which looked down upon him before. They're even fine with sharing him. Looks like Guy spread some of his Badassery to his son.
- Weapon of Choice: Uses swords and wands as weapons. Or his fists if neither is available.
- Wild Child: Apparently in appearance, if Fur's teasing speech gives any indication.
A monster tamer who was a legend before his mysterious disappearance.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Not too Absurb, but if one does the math, her being 34-years-old at the time of the current game, and Koh being 15, it means that Koh was conceived either when she was 18 or 19. This also applies to Guy.
- Happily Married: With Guy. Had two kids with him, and from what little we see, Wreath was geniunely sad when Guy died.
- Open-Minded Parent: Wreath. Understandably she's fine with Koh adventuring in the Monster Tower, because Guy was always hunting in the monster tower himself.
- Save Point: One of the few purposes she serves.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Pregnant with Weedy at the time that Guy dies.
- Stay in the Kitchen: A literal use of this trope, as she never leaves the kitchen. The one time we don't see her in the kitchen is at the very beginning when she gives birth to Koh.
- Strong Family Resemblance: While less so than Guy and Koh, her daughter has the same hair and eye color. It's likely Weedy would resemble Wreath more as she gets older.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Koh's little sister, with a big monster book.
- Badass Bookworm
- Cool Little Sis: Seems to be fine with the fact that Koh has so many girlfriends, but could possibly be a bit annoyed that they steal all his attention away.
Weedy: (In the post-game, when the girls do a dogpile on Koh) It's always the same.
- Exposition Fairy: A variation of one, considering her monster book tells you everything you need to know about the monsters.
- Genki Girl: If the way she wakes up Koh is any indication, while she jumps on him. Her sprite shows that she never stands still.
Weedy: Get up! Yup! Up! P!
- Good Morning, Crono: She will wake Koh up at the beginning of the game along with Nico, will be the only one waking him up when Nico gets upset at him, and also wakes up Koh after he talks to Beldo, where a girl will be standing near the door (usually Nico), but won't wake you up themselves. That being said, she's basically a little alarm clock.
- Great Big Book of Everything: Has a monster book that you can look at to learn more about monsters you've already encountered, in or out of the tower.
- Hair Decorations
- Someone to Remember Him By: The opening cutscene when Wreath is worrying about Guy shows that she was pregnant with Weedy at the time.
- Strong Family Resemblance: While more minor than Koh's, she does have the same hair and eye color as her mother.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Gets it from her mother.
A mysterious monster that joins Koh on his quest.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones: Turns out to be a henchman to Beldo all along. Although he gets even when the tables are turned.
- Body Horror: Beldo uses his magic to make Kewne his literal right arm after he loses it.
- Cool Pet: If his picture in the Monster Book is any indication, it seems like everyone's fine with him as a monster, even following around Koh in town if he is in the inventory.
- Crutch Character: The first monster Koh gets, and even explains the game's dungeon mechanics. Even as the first monster, he's good enough to keep for the entire game if one desires, but is otherwise weaker than a couple of the later monsters.
- Diving Kick: Does a variation when he attacks a monster below him. He'll drop towards the ground, and then send a kick towards the monster.
- The Dragon: He was this to Beldo.
- Fusion Dance: When he fuses with another monster, he will always be the head one, no matter what. He doesn't change in appearance when he changes type either.
- The Goggles Do Nothing: Has a pair of goggles on his head, but he's never seen using them.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Beldo is defeated.
- Jack of All Stats: Has average stats, with the exception being pretty high MP. This doesn't make him bad by any means, however, and you can build his health points up by giving him a medicinal herb when his health is full to increase his maximum hit points just like every other monster .
- Last of His Kind: Potentially. Apparently his species was a popular monster at one point. In the game however, he is the only one seen.
- Lost Forever: If you don't forgive Kewne for momentarily betraying you in the end, he'll fly away sad. By doing this, you never see Kewne again, and will never find another.
- The Mole: Not by choice, however.
- Nice Shoes: Has a pair of shoes on for whatever reason.
- Playing with Fire: You can change his element, but he always starts off as a fire based monster. He also comes with the spell Brid, that causes him to breath out a bullet of fire.
- Rolling Attack: His standard attack is rolling into a blue and yellow striped ball and hurling himself at the enemy.
- Series Mascot: Even though Azure Dreams is a single game, he's still the one for Azure Dreams.
- Talking Animal
- Team Pet
- Too Important to Walk: He always flies around, even when you're in town.
- Use Your Head: Uses a headbutt upwards if the monster is a step above him.
- Verbal Tic Name: The Kewne species were apparently named after a sound they tend to make.
- All There in the Manual: Their full names and ages. While ones like Selfi have their name indicated, the others never mention their last names at all.
- Character Development: All of the girls go through this in their sidequests. Most keep their personalities, but simply begin to love Koh at the same time.
- Everyone Wants Redheads: All of them like Koh so much that they're fine sharing him instead of fighting over him.
- Fanservice: All of Koh's potential girlfriends have a bathing suit sprite gained after getting them as a girlfriend and unlocking the swimming pool (Nico's◊, Selfi's◊, Fur's◊, Patti's◊ Mia's◊, Cherrl's◊, and Vivian's◊). They also each have different personalities and their own goals.
- Fanservice with a Smile: At the optional swimming pool.
- Good Morning, Crono: When you get the girls as a girlfriend, they'll take turns in waking you up. Only Nico, Selfi, Fur, and Mia however stay until you leave the house, while Mia, Cherrl, and Vivian are too busy with their jobs to stay.
- Leitmotif: Each girl has one, found in a different way.
of the group that wishes to make Monsbaiya a place with more culture. Age 15
"There are two types of people, those who make an effort to reach their dreams, and those who sit back and dream about their dreams. My personality doesn't allow me to stay still for long."
- Absolute Cleavage
- Action Girl
- Bare Your Midriff
- Beautiful All Along: Subverted as she's already very pretty, but when she lets her hair down in her swimsuit at the pool, this goes Up to Eleven.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: She genuinely cares for Koh, but is too proud to say so. Her feelings really come to the surface when Koh finds out that Beldo killed his father.
- Buxom Is Better
- Canon Immigrant: She's in both the GBC and the Playstation versions. Notable in that, unlike the Playstation version, she cannot become a girlfriend, and instead just stays a childhood friend. She still asks Koh for money to help the town prosper however.
- Childhood Friends: With Koh.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Possibly. It should be noted that when Koh gets the largest house available, if Nico or one of the three girlfriends that leaves early wakes up Koh, she will be the first one to kiss him. Also if she's a girlfriend, she will be the one to support Koh when Beldo reveals to him that he was his father's killer.
- Cleavage Window
- Clingy Jealous Girl: After the incident with the cello player, she asks you "Since when were you and Selfi so close to each other?" before disregarding the comment. It's also obvious when she sees Selfi give you a Pulunpa egg that she's trying to hide her jealousy. Aside from these times, she doesn't act like this at all.
- Cool Big Sis: She seems to be a surrogate one to Weedy, considering how much she talks with her after Koh wins her heart.
- Cry Cute: When Koh finds out that Beldo killed his father, she worries that his life in danger and cries when she sees Koh in the morning until Beldo is defeated.
- Cute Bruiser
- Daddy's Girl
- First Girl Wins: Seeing as how she pops up the most out of all the girls, and will be the default girl that Koh tells Beldo about if she's available, she fits this trope. It is possible, however, for the player to decide not to go through her sidequest.
- Girl Next Door
- Good Morning, Crono: At the beginning of the game, she's always the one waking up Koh until he gets a girlfriend. She will wake him up herself as girlfriend as well, and is one of the four that will stay at his house until he leaves.
- Greater Need Than Mine: She starts a charity to build a fountain in order to help the town prosper. After making the first donation, when she asks why Koh gave her some money, she explains it's entirely because of her personality via the quote at the top.
- Hair Decorations: Has them in her normal outfit and her bathing suit outfit.
- Leitmotif: Heard in her house.
- Lightning Bruiser: She fast and agile enough to flip kick Koh out of bed until she becomes his girlfriend.
- Meaningful Echo: When she hears Koh talking about how a man needs to take good care of a woman, not hit her, she suddenly realizes Koh is directing the statement at her. This is the very second where she officially falls for Koh.
- Missing Mom: Because of this, she was raised by her dad, thus giving her a tomboy personality.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Odango Hair
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite their coloring, this is inverted with Nico and Koh, considering that she's the Red Oni to his Blue Oni.
- She's Got Legs
- Troubled, but Cute: Nico has shades of this.
- Tsundere: Out of the three girlfriends that show this, has it the least.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter
- Victorious Childhood Friend: There's a good chance you will see her the most after you win her heart.
- Woman in White: Subverted, as she wears a white outfit and is very interested in culture, but her tomboyish nature also works against this to a degree.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
The self-proclaimed witch that loves to harass Koh. Age 16
“Why did I jeopardize my own life to rescue someone like Koh? Isn't this the biggest mystery of the century?”
- Action Girl: She has no problem going into the tower alone.
- Alpha Bitch: Initially acts like one until Koh wins her over.
- The Beastmistress: Has a pet in the GBC game called Wumpi.◊
- Black Magician Girl/Cute Witch/Hot Witch: She's a self-proclaimed witch, but it's mostly in her appearance. In her defense, she did cast a fireball once at a U-boat.
- Canon Immigrant: She is in both the Playstation and GBC versions. She is the only one to be a possible girlfriend in TWO games, where in the GBC version she keeps her mood, but gets a Wump familiar. The egg that she gives you in the Playstation version might hint towards it.
- Rich Bitch: The way she acts at first, being part of the richest family in Monsbaiya and teasing Koh.
- Second Love: Most likely the second girlfriend you'll get most of the time, if Koh's not going after Fur or Patti immediately. It's also important to note that in the Gameboy version, Selfi is the only one to be a love interest in the two games.
- True Blue Femininity: her coloring has lots of shades of blue and purple and she's very feminine.
- Tsundere: Denies the fact she is in love with Koh at first, dismissing that such a concept could be real, but then discovers she really does care for him.
The money-loving shopkeeper with her favorite food, Octopus Dumplings. Age 16.
“You haven't changed, but every time I see you, you seem a little different. It's strange.”
A waitress at the local restaurant who dreams of being a chef, holding her prized dish, Shining Prawns. Age 14.
“I wish I could be a chef liked by everyone, just like my father…”
- Alliterative Name
- Berserk Button: Never ever try to skip out of the bill after you order food from the restaurant.
- Canon Immigrant: Maybe, depending on how you see it. There is a no-named, red-haired waitress in the GBC game that has more text than a usual NPC in the restaurant. It's possible this is a case of Demoted to Extra.
- Daddy's Girl
- Fanservice with a Smile: While every other girl has this, Patti is the most prominent one.
- Hair Decorations
- Leitmotif: Heard in the restaurant.
- Meaningful Name: Her first name can reference a meat patty, and whose last name can reference the cooking utensil, or the Japanese word for bread.
- Missing Mom
- Nice Girl
- Pink Means Feminine
- Spell My Name with an "S": Patti, not Patty.
- Stay in the Kitchen: While she works in a restaurant, she barely cooks herself, her dad doing the majority of it. She dreams however of one day being a chef.
- Supreme Chef: Her ultimate goal.
- Trademark Favorite Food: While she doesn't really eat them, Shining Prawns is her specialty, and she's happy when Koh has it.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter
An introverted bookworm who sees Koh as her white knight. Age 13.
“I'm so happy. It's the first time ever. Or, should I say, I've always disliked any man saying those kinds of things to me, but with you it's different, Koh.”
The soft-spoken, sickly girl with an unknown disease. Age 15
“My sky colored dream... is to be married to a certain sombody. But if I do marry that person, he's likely going to make me worry, which might make me sick again. Even so, I'd probably be the happiest woman around.”
- Beware the Nice Ones: Ghosh learns this the hard way when he insults Koh in front of her.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: We see her act this way once to her mother, but it's really only because she doesn't want to be alone. Thankfully Koh appears right then so she has someone to be with.
- Cast from Hit Points: She eventually faints after her outbursts.
- Disabled Love Interest: She can barely walk a few steps without fainting at first. She even tries to go see the fountain in the middle of the city with Koh, only to faint when Ghosh starts dissing out Koh.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Out of all the girls, she is perhaps the most innocent of all, not knowing anything about the outside world and only desiring the basic ability to walk without being fatigued. She is also very young and pretty for her appearance, being the same age as Nico but looking almost Mia's age. She'll even become a nurse with the correct choices, wanting to help others like herself.
- Handicapped Badass: She manages to tell off Ghosh for insulting Koh, even though she was weak and exhausted from her illness.
- Hospital Hottie
- Ill Girl: Basically what she's all about. She's been sick with an unknown disease her entire life, and can only be cured by a herb found in the higher levels of the Monster Tower.
- Leitmotif: Heard when seeing her at her house and at the hospital.
- Multiple Endings: Depending on a single question, Cherrl will either decide to become a nurse, or will stay at home and make dolls of you. This can result in a big Guide Dang It moment if she goes in the path you don't want. It's boiled down to whether or not you tell her you got her the herb. If you tell the doctor to not mention anything, she'll become a nurse, and end up finding out anyways. If you tell the doctor to tell her, she'll stay at home.
- Nice Girl
- Oblivious To Hints: Doesn't seem to realize Dr. Hush's intentions when she tells him she's going to see Koh. Could be taken as dirty, or he could be simply telling her to enjoy her time with Koh.
Cherrl: I told Dr. Hush that I was coming here to see you, Koh. So there's nothing to worry about. When I said that, Dr. Hush smirked and said, 'take your time'. I'm uneasy about the way he looks at me, so I'm going right back to the hospital. See you later, Koh.
- Older Than They Look: She looks even younger than Mia, but she's 15, the same age as Koh.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Cherrl, not Cheryl.
- Title Drop: She mentions it in her speech after completing her sidequest... and screwed up by the localization crew when they translated the line as "sky-colored dreams". Also a hint that her feelings for Koh are extreme, just being with him meaning that she's satisfied.
Cherrl: My sky-colored dream... is to be married to a certain somebody. But if I do marry that person, he's likely going to make me worry, which might make me sick again. Even so, I'd probably be the happiest woman around.
A dancer who dreams of performing on stage. Age 18.
"You know, I've got a dream too. My dream is to dance on an enormous stage. But although I've been to several cities, not one of them has a decent theater. Rumors had it the city of Haruka had one, but it's gone. It's a pity to have a dream but not the chance."
- All of the Other Reindeer: The other dancers make fun of her for being unable to keep up with them at first, then Koh motivates her to try and practice harder until she becomes the star of the show.
- Forgot I Couldn't Swim: Asks out Koh on a date to the pool, and by the time they get there and change into their bathing suits, she suddenly remarks that she's not able to swim. Instead, she just watches Koh swim for awhile.
- The Gambling Addict: When she's not dancing, she's usually just having fun in the Casino. She can be found there before the Theater is made.
- Hair Decorations
- Leitmotif: Heard when meeting her in theater and a few other instances.
- Older Than They Look: Averted. She does look slightly older than the others, and is the oldest girlfriend with an age of 18.
- Performance Anxiety: She's able to dance fine when she's at the bar, but when she's get to the theater, she has difficulty dancing on stage. It isn't until Koh and Ghosh, working together for once, convince her that she's fine that she starts doing better.
- Pink Means Feminine
- Satellite Love Interest: Probably the most so out of all seven girlfriends, mainly due to the fact that both you and Ghosh seem to have her feelings. Helps that she is the only one not to flat out say no to Ghosh. It's implied though that she cares for you a lot more than him.
- She's Got Legs: The other girls can fall under this trope, but she gets a special mention for also being a dancer.
- Shipper on Deck: Between the Bartender and Okami.
The son of a rich family that constantly shows up Koh.
"Selfi. How dare you talk like that? As a member of the legendary Rode family, and as the sister of the best swordsman in the world. I'm so ashamed of you."
- Affably Evil: The only thing that really makes him "evil" is that he treats Koh and Mia like crap.
- Big Brother Instinct: Part of the reason why Ghosh can't stand to see Selfi fall in love with Koh.
- Blondes Are Evil: Borders on this, but isn't really that evil besides being a complete jerk to Koh and Mia.
- Butt Monkey: Most of the girlfriend quests end with him being unsuccessful, or being completely told off by the girl. The only one that he doesn't mess up with is Vivian, who seems to be more fond of Koh.
- Canon Immigrant: He's in both the Playstation and Gameboy games. Different in that he actually gets some character development, and even joins with Koh to defeat Beldo.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite the fact he is the Butt Monkey of the game, he does decent damage and takes a good amount himself in both versions.
- The Dandy
- Fan Disservice: His swimsuit.◊ Some people actually see it as Fanservice, however.
- Hidden Depths: While dueling Koh on the second floor, he can actually manage to do a ton of damage, and has a ton of health, indicating that his talk about being a strong hunter isn't completely false. In the gameboy version, his father was also killed by Beldo, and the player sees that he's not such a jerk after all.
- Jerkass: Big Time.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold:
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Pretty much badmouths and laughs at Koh for being poor, and also tries to steal girls from you.
- Leitmotif: Heard whenever he tries to show up Koh or hit on girls. Also whenever he's around the area.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!
- No Social Skills: This seems to run in the family as his little sister Selfi has the same issue, which is why she can't initially tell Koh she's attracted to him.
- Not So Different: He and Koh both care about their families, they both love the ladies, they both want to reach the top of the monster tower, and both of their fathers were killed by Beldo.]]
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Koh's Red Oni.
- Rich Bastard
- The Rival: To Koh.
- Shadow Archetype: To Koh, considering that Koh's a Nice Guy who grew up in poverty, and Ghosh is a Jerkass who grew up in luxury.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Averted. He and Selfi look nothing alike.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He was already a huge jerk initially, but his meeting with Mia took this Up to Eleven.
- Upper-Class Twit
- Villain with Good Publicity: At the start. While Koh is dirt poor, Ghosh is high-class and rich, so people will look the other way as he harasses you.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Oddly enough, towards Koh. According to Selfi, Koh is all he seems to talk about, even going as far as to make up silly rumors and appear wherever he can. Some consider it Ho Yay on his part.
- You Killed My Father: Apparently, his father was killed by Beldo just like Koh's father Guy was.
"Do you know who I am? I bet you don't. The last man your father Guy saw. That's me. I am Beldo, the most powerful monster tamer of all."
- Badass Cape: Uses it to hide the fact his right arm got cut off by Guy.
- Big Bad
- Cerebus Syndrome: The first time you meet him, he tells you that he's the one that murdered your father, and if you want to find out more, you have to get to the top. Afterwards, you'll see Nico every morning, where you tell her about what has happened and what Beldo said. This continues until he is defeated.
- Evil Counterpart: To Guy.
- Failure Is the Only Option: You cannot beat him at first. You instead have to get beat down, and then finish him off when Kewne gives you your father's sword.
- Hero Killer: He was the one who killed Guy after all.
- Life or Limb Decision: Loses an arm to Guy.
- Oh, Crap: His whole dialogue and attitude turn to this when he realizes Koh using Guy's Sword will be the end of him.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Rival Turned Evil: To Guy
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- You Killed My Father: Koh's father, to be exact. In the gameboy version, he also has killed Ghosh's.
Only a handful of the monsters in the game.note
- All There in the Manual: You can find information about them in Weedy's Book, which talks about their typical behavior, where you can find them outside the tower, and even if they're friendly with humans or not.
- Awesome but Impractical: The monster spells aren't usually worth casting due to their high MP cost, and the fact that they usually do less damage than a normal attack anyways. They still look pretty impressive and some spells with different elements look amazing.
- Badass Adorable: Many monsters actually qualify, but the Snowman gets special mention due to its high attack and decent defense.
- Barrier Warrior: The Volcano and the Glacier are variations of this.
- The Berserker: The Tyrant, whose ability causes it to go into rage and randomly attack things around it, boosting its power at the same time. Also counts as The Sociopath, along with dragons who will turn corners and hunt Koh down just to attack him.
- Blob Monster: The Manoeva, who is completely made up of slime.
- Body Horror: The Balloon is able to fly due to having a massive, exposed lung on its back that resembles a balloon. Granted, it's extremely tough, but it still deflates when it takes enough damage...
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Blooms can brainwash enemies with their attack, forcing your familiars to turn against you. The only one that isn't affected by this is Kewne, whose trait allows it to be immune to this.
- Colour Coded Elements: While the monsters themselves are various colors in the tower, when they are familiars, they will usually either be red, blue, or green for their respective elements. A couple exceptions are when monsters change elements, they sometimes become completely different colors, like the Pulunpas that turn orange when they are fused with wind monsters.
- Combat Medic: Battnels (upgraded Nyuels) have decent fighting abilities, but their true usefulness is in the fact that they have the healing spell and restore huge amounts of MP when given any herb at all.
- Combination Attack: Mixture Magic, which allows monsters to fuse their own elements to allow Koh to use them for elemental attacks with his wand, sword, or fist.
- Cyclones have a single eye, which fits with their Gameboy Color name "Cyclops".
- You know the periscope over the U-boat's head? That's its one and only eye.
- Dance Battler: Mandara have an ability that makes them "dance", spinning around and confusing people around them.
- Ditto Fighter: The Manoeva can turn itself into other monsters at Koh's wish when it is a familiar. Otherwise, it will just transform into items right next to it. This will likely catch you off guard when see two of the same type of item(this includes coins), only for one of them to change into a Manoeva and get a free hit when you are right next to them.
- The Dragon: The monster called the dragon considering it's on the final floors before the top of the tower where Beldo is waiting for you.
- Elemental Powers: While you can change a monsters element if you so wish, each monsters has a standard element.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Fire>Wind>Water>Fire
- Extreme Omnivore:
- Kids and Dragons can eat coins, shields, and swords that you pick up to replenish their MP, and are the only monsters to do this.
- The Picket is an even better example, as it can eat just about any item in order to restore their MP.
- Flaming Hair: Flame and its evolution, Ifrit, have this.
- Fragile Speedster: The Picket, who can move two squares or attack two times per turn and also teleport, but can't take a hit.
- Fusion Dance: Koh is able to fuse two monsters if he gets two collars. Fusing monsters means getting hidden spells from those who don't learn them normally, and getting new monsters, sometimes changing the monster's element.
- If Kewne is fused with any monster, he will always be the one on top. It is impossible to fuse him with anything and not get him as the monster.
- If you try to fuse Hikewne, it will mean the other monster gets to be the one who comes out on top. This is probably due to the fact this monster is already extremely overpowered.
- Genius Bruiser: The Dragon who will turn corners to follow Koh and track him down is also very powerful as well as intelligent.
- Genre Savvy:
- The Weadogs are smart enough to throw food to distract your familiars, forcing Koh to fight them alone.
- Also the darker colored Pulunpas on higher floors are able to steal your monster collars which sends your familiars back to your bag.
- Glass Cannon: The Killer, who has high attack and critical-hit ratio, but only moderate defense.
- The Arachne and its evolution Ashra, whose trait is "Double Attack". Its health and defense are quite low however.
- Golem: The Golem. Said to have been made to guard the monster tower since ancient times.
- The Garudas are also noteworthy, although they are able to float.
- The Goomba: Pulunpas and Noise are the weakest creatures you encounter. The Noise, however, only shows up on the first floor (also on the second floor during the first playthrough), while the Pulunpa pops up every now and then in the tower.
- Heavy Sleeper: While attacking a sleeping monster has a high chance of waking it up, there are several cases where they'll continue sleeping. Special mention goes to the Naplass, who may actually choose to go to sleep rather than attack during a fight.
- If It Swims, It Flies: The U-boat is apparently an aquatic creature that is able to float above and dive into the ground. Apparently this is due to the magic properties of the monster tower, allowing it to sink into the ground like water.
- Large and in Charge: Maximums are the biggest and strongest monsters in the tower.
- Magikarp Power: Nyuels are pathetically weak on their own, and have terrible stat gains. When they evolve into Battnels, they become stronger and keep their ability to heal others and themselves. Even the entry explains a Battnel is a monster who is a battle-hardened Nyuel.
- The Medic: Nyuels have a natural ability to heal, a feature that becomes even better when feeding herbs to it fully restores its MP.
- Combat Medic: The Battnel, which is an evolved Nyuel can fight and heal pretty well.
- Megaton Punch: The Golems have a two turn variation that will do tons of damage to whoever it hits.
- Magic Knight: Ironically The Dragon falls under this, considering both its physical and magical abilities are very powerful.
- Meaningful Name: Many of the monsters fall under this. Obvious creatures like Dragons have names based on other fantasy material, but among more original names, there are...
- Noise are creatures that use a flute to do damage and silence enemies.
- Flames have a body made of fire, as do their evolutions Ifrits.
- Blocks have big, block-like bodies.
- Glaciers have a ton of icicles on their backs, making them resemble a Glacier.
- Naplass tend to fall asleep.
- Dreamin have the ability to make others fall asleep.
- Mechanical Lifeform: The U-boat seems to be an actual creature, even though its appearance and the mechanical noise it makes would make it seem more like a robot. Garuda and Golems seem to be made by humans, but are magical lifeforms in themselves due to the fact they hatch from eggs.
- Also Blocks and Metals fall under this.
- Metal Slime: The Barong fits the criteria, spawning only on the 16th, 26th, and 36th floors, sometimes never to be seen, has an unusual reward of being fed items and getting different or even better items in return, and will avoid fighting Koh the majority of the time.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Killer.
- The Maximum, appropriately named for having a ton of good stats and big enough that it barely fits on one square.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: The Dreamin's entry hints that it was this, being able to give nightmares to people and monsters. The species has since had their magic weakened by quite a lot, to the point they can only make people fall asleep.
- Planimal: The Bloom, which has a plant head but a more animal-like body.
- Poisonous Monster: Barongs have a hidden magic spell that allows them to cast Poison.
- Power Gives You Wings: The Univern has much larger wings than the Unicorn, and is able to fly on top of that.
- Subverted with the Gryphons; Grineuts develop into a more centaur-looking creatures, with the wings being either much smaller or non existant.
- Power Floats: The Cyclone, Zu, Garuda, Kraken, U-boat, Clown, and Death are all able to do this. The rest fly through different means, such as Kewne and Univern having wings, while the Balloon has a ton of hot air in the exposed lung to float.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Pulunpas in general, and also the Wumps in the GBC version. Special mention goes to Wumpi, Selfi's pet.
- Sleepy Head: The Naplass is not afraid to fall asleep in the monster tower. Even if it means being in the middle of a battle.
- Stone Wall: The Block and Metal monsters.
- Golems, who starts in total with 20 defense, even more than what the Block starts out with.
- This Is a Drill: The Golem has a weird attack where he jumps above another monster and "drills" into them, causing damage.
- Took a Level in Badass: Several monsters can evolve into others. You can usually tell which ones evolve depending on whether or not they come with a spell.
- The monsters that evolve are: Kid->Dragon, Flame->Ifrit, Griffon->Grineut, Clown->Death, Unicorn->Univern, Block-> Metal, Snowman->Saber, Arachne->Ashra, and Nyuel-> Battnel.
- The GBC version has monsters that are different elements of the following and go by different names. They evolve in a similar way, though most evolve at level 10. In addition, the Catawump, the Pulunpa in the Platstation version, evolves from a Wump, a hornless Catawump, at level 2.
- Use Your Head: The preferred method of attack for a Naplass.
- Useless Useful Non-Combat Abilities: The Nyuel's Poison-Proof. Poison is uncommon as a trap, and even when monsters do step on these traps, there is a huge chance it won't even get poisoned.
- Useless Useful Spell: Enemy Balloons have an ability that allows them to float to another part of the floor if their health is low. Terrible in that they can use up all their energy so its good as dead anyways, but even worse is that it can sometimes teleport to the same room.
- Play Flute for Noise familiars is useless, not only because most spells are long range, but also because the Noise is spell proof in the first place.
- Can also apply to enemy Volcanos, who can spawn Magma Rocks. This is only really annoying when they block off a hallway with it, but otherwise, they can sometimes do it in large rooms and two-way hallways.
- The Zu's roar can paralyze you and forces your familiar to down one in AI. This works against it, however, since you can simply go back and change it back to normal with no consequence. Since they prioritize in using this ability, it's preferred to keep your monster fighting them.
- This can be applied to almost any normal magic spell. Some offensive fire spells, like Brid and Sled for instance, will do much less damage than a normal attack from the same monster. Mixture magic is usually preferred.
- Useless Useful Stealth: The Stealth has the Disappear ability to go invisible, but because the camera angle points towards them when they attack, it's easy to see where they are. Easier when you have a familiar with you, where they'll attack where the Stealth is anyways. The only useful thing about this ability is that it allows for Sneak Attacks.
- Weapon of Choice: Trolls can use swords, maces, and bows, something that no other monster is able to do.
- Wizard Needs Food Badly: Every monster has a set amount of MP. They can devour seeds, herbs, and fruit to recover some it, but Pita and Big Pita fruits is what really brings it up.
- Nyuels and their evolved forms, Battnels, will have 50 MP recovered with any herb, which suddenly makes herbs more valuable, especially with their healing spell.
- With the exceptions of Kids and their evolved form the Dragons who only eat metal, and considering how many extra swords, shields, and especially coins you'll find lying around the tower, it's pretty easy to keep them full.
- Pickets are even better, as they will recover 50 MP from almost any item you could give them, which helps to better deal with the fact that they burn through said MP twice as fast than all the other monsters, due to their Double Speed trait.