United States airdate: December 6, 2000
Canada airdate: December 21, 2001
When Spongebob is sneaking up on Sandy to try out his latest surprise karate technique, Sandy is taken aback- not by his stealth move, but in discovering that Spongebob doesnt know what a Christmas tree is. In fact, Spongebobs never heard of Christmas either. After catching up on what hes missed, he realizes that Bikini Bottom has been missing out for years, and infects everyone in town with the Christmas spirit.
Everyone except Squidward that is, who doesnt believe in Santa Claus, and refuses to take part in any of Spongebobs Christmas shenanigans. Unfortunately, Santas a no show by morning in Bikini Bottom, and everybody blames Spongebob for wasting their time, and Squidward rubs it in Spongebobs face, before receiving a special handmade gift that Spongebob had crafted for him, thinking that Squidward would feel left out when Santa came. Hows Squidward gonna make up for that? He does with him as Santa.
Originally the only SpongeBob Christmas special, until a stop motion special was released in 2012 as a part of Season Eight entitled Its A Sponge Bob Christmas.
- An Aesop: Whether you like a specific person or not, it doesnt hurt to do nice things for them to make them happy.
- Balloon Belly: Potty after eating all the cookie dough. He even gets so fat the strings holding him up snap.
- Batman Gambit: One could argue that Santa at the end planned the whole thing what with his note at the end, thanking Squidward for doing the Bikini Bottom run for him.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Patchy The Pirate pulls on Potty The Parrot's strings so hard the puppeteer operating Polly falls down from above. This is a Visual Gag that doubles as an Amusing Injury.
- Christmas Episode: The first Christmas special in the series (and only one, until It's A Spongebob Christmas).
- Christmas Songs: Well theres two, "Santas Coming Tonight" and "This Christmas Feels Like the Very First Christmas to Me".
- Crowd Song: Santas coming tonight, tonight! Santas coming tonight!
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe example when Squidward laughed at Spongebob.
- Everyone Hates Fruit Cakes: When the episode cuts to SpongeBob telling the others about Christmas, he finishes with "...and everyone pretends to like the fruitcake!" Mr. Krabs is later seen giving one to Plankton, who tosses it in a trashcan full of other fruit cakes.
- Framing Device: Patchy the Pirate and Potty, in their first ever appearance, decorate their house for Christmas.
- The Grinch: Squidward basically becomes the original, down from hating Christmas to saving it for the town.
- Jerkass Realization: As a gag after Santa doesn't show up, Squidward's realization that he was being an asshole is followed by an overlayed picture of a live-action donkey, complete with braying.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidwards heart of gold is at its worst at the beginning (until the fifth season), but at the second half, the heart of gold becomes very well known.
- Kick the Dog: Squidward does this to SpongeBob when Santa is a no-show. He regrets doing so after Spongebob gives him a present, though.
- Laughing Mad: Played for Laughs with the REAL Santa Claus at the end.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: As said above, Potty's strings snap after he eats a whole bunch of cookie dough.
- Medium Blending: Santa's appearance at the end, played by series writer Mike Bell.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Squidward feels really bad for mocking Spongebob about Santa not arriving. How he made it up to him afterward makes him feel better.
- Roundabout Shot: SpongeBob and Patrick have one during "The Very First Christmas".
- Santa Claus: Subverted with Squidward. Santa was a no-show. Or was he!?
- Saving Christmas: After Santa didnt show up, Squidward took on the job himself, and the Christmas spirit once again returned to Bikini Bottom.
- Shamed by a Mob: When Santa failed to arrive to Bikini Bottom, all of the fish glare at SpongeBob, grumble at him for making them wait all night for nothing, and leave in disappointment.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Sandy only appears in the beginning but is the one who teaches Spongebob about Christmas and inspires him to spread the annual tradition to Bikini Bottom. Matter of fact, she's the sole reason why Bikini Bottom even celebrates Christmas to begin with.
- Snowy Sleigh Bells: The opening uses a carol version of the regular Spongebob song and features prominent sleigh bells.
- Special Edition Title: The beginning credits are decorated for the holidays, with a Christmas wreath dressed over Painty's portrait, and at the end, instead of Spongebobs nose flute, a choir of Christmas Carolers that have been singing the entire theme song like a carol sing "Fala la la la la la la la la la la!"
- Spiritual Successor: Its A Sponge Bob Christmas, released 12 years later.
- Subbing for Santa: Squidward did it to cheer Spongebob up. At first of course, but the secret didnt stay down for very long.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Squidward does a good deed but it really cost him most of his possessions. Though he ends up getting a present in the end as well.
- Title Drop:Sandy: Ain't you never seen a Christmas tree before?SpongeBob: Christmas who?
- Wham Line: "I still want you to have this" is definitely one to Squidward, as his demeanor instantly changes from assholishly gleeful to uncomfortably guilty in the blink of an eye the moment he hears it.
- What The Hell, Squidward?: Merry Christmas, Jerk!
- Yes, Virginia: Santa does eventually show up, but not before Squidward's taken on the role himself and given away everything he owns as "presents".