Damsels Dont Wear Glasses is an action/urban fantasy series about a tough, dry-humored woman named Lave Faraday, who also happens to live in a city populated by mythical creatures and magic. After taking down a horde of zombies (slightly unusual for a Monday) Lave is tasked with looking after a 12 year old boy named Jake. for reasons no-one will tell her.
Damsels Don't Wear Glasses contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Lave deals with zombies by running them through with her sword, throwing them off a wall, and simply bashing them together.
- Blind Without 'Em: Our heroine is near-sighted. Not that it will stop her from fighting with a bunch of blurry figures.
- Bare Your Midriff: Lave's not too shy about walking around in a sports bra.
- Black Magic: In chapter one, Kest attempts to use black magic (necromancy, specifically), which backfires on him considerably.
- Curse Cut Short:Kest: This is basically all your fault, you crazy bit
- Deadpan Snarker: Lave certainly has no trouble mocking her subjects even as shes apprehending them.
- Demonic Possession: Kest ends up falling victim to this at the end of chapter 1.
- Dropped Glasses: As early as the first chapter. It's hard to fight with glasses without them getting knocked off of your face once in a while.
- Establishing Character Moment: Lave makes her debut saving a goat from being sacrificed, and casually greeting the guy shes stopping, while petting the goat.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: Just one of the paranormal beings present here.
- Extreme Omni-Goat: The sacrificial goat escapes by eating its leash.
- Fiery Red Head: Lave: red-haired, combative daredevil.
- Fish out of Water: It's pretty clear Jake is not used to the none humans walking around.
- Hermetic Magic: Kest's spell requires a magic circle, candles, an orb, a spellbook, a skull, a knife, a goat, and enough time that his audience gets bored.
- I Have the High Ground: Lave often perches atop trees, walls, posts, or a telephone pole.
- In Harm's Way: Lave enjoys danger. Kest does not.Lave: Pretty exciting night we're having, huh?
Kest: Exciting? EXCITING?
- Instant Runes: Appearing on the bodies of the undead.
- It Tastes Like Feet:Kest: This tastes like carbonated nail polish.
- Never Trust a Title: Lave does wear glasses.
- Pet The Goat: Lave is abrasive to humans, but not to the goat.
- Power Crystal: Kest's magical orb apparently stores some sort of magical energy.
- Power Glows: Necromancy glows green.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: Unfortunately for Kest, in chapter 1 this is subverted, and the undead spirit possessing what was previously thought to be your run-of-the-mill zombie keeps on going without a physical head. Even Lave is shocked by this.
- Rise from Your Grave: Zombies erupt from the cemetery in the classic manner.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The rest of the cultists book it when things go wrong.
- Sickly Green Glow: Indicating black magic is at work here.
- Zombie Infectee: Kest develops a suspicious green filigree after being bitten.