The nefarious Masked Bull has escaped from jail and kidnapped Lily Bovine. Marshal Moo Montana and the C.O.W.boys spring into action, embarking on a mission spanning across locations in Moo Mesa to take on the Masked Bull's henchmen and rescue Lily.
In this game you can play as any of the four playable heroes: Marshal Moo Montana, Cowlorado Kid, Dakota Dude, and a fourth hero, Buffalo Bull.
The gameplay is similar to fellow Konami shooters Mystic Warriors and Sunset Riders which were released around the same time. Up to four players run through various colorful stages shooting down bad guys and blowing stuff up, before facing the boss at the end of the stage. From there, you can choose which stage you want to tackle next, all leading to the final showdown with the Masked Bull himself.
This Video Game Contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Saddlesore Scorpion and Boothill Buzzard, two bumbling henchmen of Sheriff Terrorbull in the show, are much more competent and threatening in this game, taking up the role as bosses.
- Ascended Extra: Buffalo Bull is featured as the fourth playable character, when in the original cartoon he was just a sporadically appearing minor character.
- Big Bad: The Masked Bull (Really Sheriff Terrorbull) is the villain of the game.
- Big Boo's Haunt: The Ghost Town stage takes place in a literal namesake. The boss is Boothill Buzzard.
- Damsel in Distress: Lily Bovine gets held captive and has to be rescued.
- Death by Adaptation: Boothill Buzzard appears to die after he is defeated, as he collapses to the ground and his spirit with a halo flies away.
- Death Dealer: Five Card Stud one of the bosses attacks the player with floating playing cards.
- Dirty Cop: Sheriff Terrorbull shows up as the first boss in the intro stage. It should come as no surprise that he's later revealed to be the Masked Bull.
- Final Boss: The Masked Bull is the final boss of the game.
- Friendly Fire Proof: Thankfully, you can't shoot each other in Multiplayer.
- Inevitable Waterfall: In the Sheeza Butte level, there is a section where the guys have to swim up a waterfall, all while avoiding cascading debris falling downward.
- Knife Nut: The Spider Boss of Sheeza Butte is an expert Knife thrower. He attacks with different patterns of projectile knives.
- Levels Take Flight: The Niagara Desert and Wagon Train stages involves the heroes carried by birds as they blast airborne enemies.
- Licensed Game: A video game adaptation of the Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa cartoon.
- Life Meter: Uncommon of a game of this genre, the characters can take up to three hits before dying.
- Minecart Madness: Five Card Stud's level first takes place on a moving minecart train that eventually crashes, sending the player hurtling into the boss fight with Five Card at his saloon.
- No Name Given: The unnamed Spider boss is strangely not given a name. He is the only boss to not have a subtitle on his splash screen.
- Smart Bomb: The heroes can grab a special item that functions as this. Firing one massive shot that fills the screen.
- The Wild West: The Overall Setting of the game.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: In the Ghost Town stage, the zombie enemies and Boothill Buzzard have angels fly away after they are defeated.