In the game, Ariel leaves her prince Eric and becomes a mermaid once again to stop Ursula, who is plotting to take over the entire ocean. What follows is five levels of swimming action looking and playing like an all-underwater Mega Man game, not surprising given that The Little Mermaid and the Mega Man series were both developed by Capcom.
- Action Girl: Ariel is the player character and is ready to kick Ursula's ass.
- Adaptational Badass: Ariel actually fights in this game.
- Bubble Gun: Ariel's primary attack is to shoot bubbles at enemies by flicking her tail. Picking up different powerups can improve her range and power.
- Dual Boss: Flotsam and Jetsam.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Ariel's main method of attacking is to encase enemies in bubbles then throw them into others.
- One of These Doors Is Not Like the Other: Look for the flashing eyes in the final level.
- One-Winged Angel: Ursula.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The Sea of Ice.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The boss music sounds far too happy to be taken seriously. Ursula's boss theme averts this, however.
- The Spiny: Urchins.
- Threatening Shark: Glut, the shark that chases Ariel and Flounder in the movie, serves as the first boss in the game.
- Under the Sea: Naturally, considering this game is based on the Trope Namer animated film.
- Wily Walrus: One of the bosses is a walrus. It sits atop an iceberg and drops objects into the water in an attempt to hit Ariel.