The world of Soma was once whole, and grew prosperous under the rule of the Sun King. However, when his ambition grew too large, the world was split in two: the Land of Joy, in which people have all that they desire, and the Land of Sorrow, in which people have ambition to get what they need. Each of these lands is protected by a Guardian Spirit, but when souls start falling out of balance, they have to work together to fix things.
ENJOY THESE TROPES! ...Or don't; I'm not the boss of you.
- A God Am I: In Rebalance, the Sun King, the original ruler of Soma. As he says in the opening cutscene:I am the Sun King!
No, I am a GOD!
- Alliterative Title: Soma Spirits.
- Bash Brothers: Heart and Soul.
- Catching Some Z's: At the start of the game, when Heart is sleeping, he has "Z" growing and shrinking from his head.
- Deadpan Snarker: Soul, the guardian of Sorrow.
- Flavor Text: All items except the consumables have them.
- Silver Coin: A shiny silver coin. Can be sold for a hefty sum.
- Long Rope: A very long rope that doesn't quite reach the top of the sky.
- Hit Points: Contracted to HP here. Get a character's to zero, and they're out of the fight until they're revived.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: Rebalance adds difficulty levels, with the first two being Easy, and Normal, but the hardest is called "Hero".
- Kids Prefer Boxes: In Rebalance, this trope is implied, when Heart is happy to go to Box World again, and Soul says:We're not kids anymore.
- Mana Points: Contracted to MP here. Get a character's to below the threshold for a skill, and they can't use it until it's restored above that threshold.
- Mirror Universe: There is a Joy and a Sorrow version of everyone, and one version getting too emotional can affect the other.
- Money Multiplier: In Rebalance, the Easy difficulty increases the amount of money acquired, compared to Normal or Hero.
- Multiple Endings: Dependent on whether Heart and Soul focus on Joy, focus on Sorrow, or maintain a balance.
- Notice This: In Rebalance, things that can be interacted with, have above them, a bobbing speech bubble with a "!" inside.
- The Pollyanna: Heart, the guardian of Joy.
- Rare Candy: The stat boosting seeds, like:
- Health Seed: Permanently raises HP by 5.
- Guard Seed: Permanently raises DEFENSE by 2.
- Save-Game Limits: The game has 16 save slots. In Rebalance, Dockery has to accompany the party before saving is possible.
- Shout-Out: To A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky: The Long Rope's Flavor Text is a reference that, another RPG Maker game, and is distributed at the same site as the freeware version of the game:A very long rope that doesn't quite reach the top of the sky.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Soul does not always appreciate having to work with the overly enthusiastic Heart.