The first Numbered Sequel to Corpse Party, Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient focuses on a new central cast. The game is released episodically and the first chapter came out in Japan on May 29th, 2013. No other chapters have followed since and it has been announced that Dead Patient is receiving an overhaul to its game engine; the first chapter was redone, and all future chapters will be designed on this new engine.
Ayame Itou, a student of Minazuki Academy High School, has recently wound up at Amare Patriarcha Crucis Hospital. In order to cheer her up, her childhood friend Chiyomi's convinced several of their classmates from 1-5 to come along with her for a nice visit.
However, a surreal incident unfolds. Out of nowhere, a woman and her daughter suffer a brutal death... at the mother's own hands. And then, while those around them are still reacting with shock, the daughter leaps to her feet and starts screaming...
But Ayame's unaware of any of this when she wakes up. In fact, she doesn't remember anything at all. All she knows is that she woke up Strapped to an Operating Table, and as she tries to figure out what happened, she swiftly discovers that she and everyone else still trapped in Amare Patriarcha Crucis Hospital have been caught in a waking nightmare. Ghosts and corpses now freely roam the halls, and the living may prove just as dangerous...
According to developers, the game is being moved to a new engine, and the first chapter will receive a "re-branding" to fit with this; all subsequent chapters will be developed on the new engine. The revamped version of the game is known as Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient Neues, and the revamped version of the first chapter came out October 5th 2017.
This game contains examples of:
- Abandoned Hospital: Amare Patriarcha Crucis Hospital.
- A House Divided: Not all of the survivors get along, or agree upon the best way to keep surviving the incident.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Used to escape the Nurse's Office.
- All in a Row: Anyone accompanying you will follow behind in this manner, which can make dodging angry spirits and zombies a bit trickier.
- Art-Style Dissonance: You have 3D, Graphics-Induced Super-Deformed cutesy characters suffering bloody, horrifying deaths.
- Big Damn Heroes: In Chapter 1, Ryuuji comes charging in with a broom just when things look bad... and gets thrown across the room and into the door, jamming it shut.
- The Dead Have Names: Following Corpse Party tradition, Ayame can find name tags scattered throughout the hospital. This time around, however, most are found just lying about in the open, instead of actually having to examine their corpses. An understandable change, really, given how most of said bodies are up lumbering around...
- Decapitation Presentation: In one of Chapter 1's Wrong Ends, Ayame gets to see one of the zombies turn around with what's left of Satomi's head still in its mouth.
- Driven to Suicide: In addition to the incident mentioned above, Ayame encounters a woman in the process of hanging herself.
- Eaten Alive: A distressingly common fate. Most notably in Chapter 1's Wrong End.
- Fan Disservice: Part of the true end of Chapter 1: Ayame getting her top pulled up while she screams is creepy enough, but seeing exactly what's underneath her shirt...
- Gas Mask Mooks: There's SWAT officers in full blue and black riot gear running around, and they aren't too friendly towards survivors.
- Heroic BSoD: Ayame has several minor breakdowns throughout Chapter 1, but witnessing the Decapitation Presentation combined with Chiyomi getting swarmed in the Wrong End causes her to completely shut down.
- Hope Spot: In Chapter 1's Wrong End, after witnessing the deaths of Ritsuko and Chiyomi, you regain control of Ayame, which gives you a brief hope that maybe you can escape the same fate. But the zombies descend on you too quickly, and though you're prompted to try and escape, it doesn't work.
- Improvised Weapon: Crutches and brooms may not be the recommended weapons of choice against reanimated corpses, but you take whatever you can get.
- Late to the Tragedy: Ayame appears to have Slept Through the Apocalypse.
- Multiple Endings: Standard for the Corpse Party series, each chapter has multiple bad endings and a "true" end. Note that "true" is never ever equal to "good". Chapter 1's Wrong Ends all involve you getting eaten by zombies, whereas the true ending has your party captured by the SWAT team and the rather insane Masami pulls up Ayame's shirt to reveal her as a "dead patient".
- Not Your Problem: Part of the conflict Chapter 1 turns on: given the situation, should Ayame's group really put themselves at risk looking for other survivors? Ritsuko doesn't think so, and argues against getting involved.
- Present Day: Dead Patient was announced to take place five years after the events at Heavenly Host. Those took place in 2008, so Dead Patient takes place in 2013, which is the year in which the first chapter was released. That said, it's possible this only refers to a framing narrative represented by Ayumi and possibly Yoshiki and that the hospital events happen roughly concurrently with Heavenly Host. Naho seems to refer to something going on in a hospital in her notes in the first game and Ryuji is 16 in Dead Patient while being described as friends with Sakutaro who is 16 in the first game. It would be odd for an 11-year old Ryuji to be friends with a 16-year old Sakutaro.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: Ayumi and possibly Yoshiki appear in the Prologue, which at the time predicted their survival in Blood Drive.
- Puzzle Boss: Encounters with particularly large monsters play out this way, such as Ayame having to figure out how to lure a massive zombie under the operating lamps and make him fall over so his stomping won't switch them back off.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Seen on whatever the HELL came after Ayame in the first office.
- Revival: It's looking more and more like Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient will be a reimagining (to fit the new continuity) of CORPSE-PARTY 2: Satsuki's Heart, a game that was supposed to be the sequel to the original 1996 game but never made.
- Sequel Number Snarl: Blood Covered was followed up by Book of Shadows and 2U and the saga was ended with Blood Drive, which came out a year after the first chapter of Dead Patient. Dead Patient is actually set five years after Blood Drive.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: How Ayame finds herself when she first awakens. Later, she helps strap a massive zombie onto that same table.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Poor Ayumi doesn't appear to have dealt with all the horrors of Tenjin Elementary well.
- Title Drop: At the end of the first chapter: "You are Dead Patient!"
- Tomato in the Mirror: "You are Dead Patient!"
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: One of the first things Ayame does after getting off the table is drop to the floor and puke.
- Weakened by the Light: The monsters tend to react poorly to light.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Given the amount of corpses walking around, with the odd ghost thrown into the mix...