Yuugen Jikkou Sisters Shushutorian is the fourteenth and the last of the Toei Fushigi Comedy Series of Toku shows. It tells the story of three Yamabuki sisters: 16-year-old Yukiko, 13-year-old Tsukiko and 11-year-old Hanako, who, in the year of 1993, seek refuge in a karaoke parlor to seek peace from their constantly squabbling parents who are on the verge of divorce. Then, just as one of the sisters sings a random song, they come face-to-face with a funny-looking man with a red mohawk and dressed in white. It turns out that he is no other than Otori-sama, the Guardian of the Year of Rooster!
Since he is too preoccupied with having fun, Otori-sama (お酉様) gives the sisters a mission: to carry out his duty as the Guardian for the Year of the Rooster for a whole year. With the magic powers bestowed upon them, the three sisters transform into the title Yuugen Jikkou (有言実行, lit. "Will do what they say") Sisters Shushutorian, to fight the evils of this world, with the reward of bringing their family happiness back again. However, should the sisters ever reveal their secret idenities to anyone else, then it would be goodbye three sisters, hello three plump and juicy roast chickens!
As the show progresses, the sisters encounter a wide variety of mostly supernatural foes and eventually a nemesis: Neko-hime, a demonic cat vowing to get revenge on the twelve Guardians of the Chinese Zodiac. The sisters, however, do not fight alone: there is always this guy running around in funny white glasses, white top hat, white suit, white shorts, white shoes, and a jacket which makes Pink Panther proud. He is Fried Chicken Man, who is Otori-sama's messenger, the girl's occasional helper, or simply the show's comic relief. The sister also find three admirers in the form of three photography-loving boys in Hanako's class who just happen to have witnessed the sisters' evil-fighting deeds.
The show aired from 10th January to 31th October of 1993... hint hint, the Year of the Rooster! It totalled 42 episodes and received an average viewing rate of 10.4%.
Yuugen Jikkou Sisters Shushutorian provides examples of the following tropes:
- Animal Motif: All twelve of the Chinese Zodiac Guardians, Otori-sama included, has an appearance or outfit that hints their animal symbols.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign
- According to The Other Wiki, the sisters got their team name Shushutorian (シュシュトリアン) from the French term "chouchou (meaning "cute", rendered as "Shushu"/シュシュ in Japanese denotation; and シュ can also be written as the kanji: 守, meaning "to protect/defend/guard"), "tori" (酉, the kanji denoting the Year of the Rooster), and "an", a common French adjective suffix.
- Although written in kanji, the term "Sisters" (三姉妹) in the title is always pronounced as the Japanese transliteration of English: シスターズ (shisutaazu).
- Except when it comes to the name of the performers of the opening theme song, as then 三姉妹 is pronounced as "Three Sisters" (スリーシスターズ Surii Shisutaazu).
- Bash Sisters: A literal example.
- Bumbling Dad: Eizaburo Yamabuki, the sisters' father. Doubles as a Henpecked Husband. Played for comedy since he works as a Private Detective.
- By The Power Of Grey Skull:Yukiko: Snow (Yuki)!
Tsukiko: Moon (Tsuki)!
Hanako: Flower (Hana)!
All together: (while raising their baubles) Shushutorian!
- Cat Girl
- Neko-hime, the sisters' nemesis. Formed by the grudge of the Cat who failed to become a Chinese Zodiac symbol, she declares war on the twelve Guardins and just can't wait to be a Galactic Conqueror.
- The sisters have a moment of their own cat-girliness too, when they are hyptonised by Neko-Hime to become her minions at the end of Ep.27 and for the most of Ep.28 (complete with a minor Evil Costume Switch). They were baited and saved by the Fried Chicken Man in the end.
- Color-Coded Characters
- The sister's magic baubles, the "Baramiracle Pendants", are respectively colored yellow (Yukiko), blue (Tsukiko) and red (Hanako). And the way the sisters appear on screen always following the order of, left to right, red-yellow-blue, so that the audience won't mix the sisters up.
- Not to forget that Yukiko's costume is black-and-gold instead of red-and-gold of her sisters, obviously marking her as the leader.
- Crossover: The infamous Ep.40, where the sisters meet the frickin' godfather of all tokusatsu show: Ultraman! It all started when Tsukiko, the middle sister and ever the daydreamer, wished to see Ultraman in person at the passing of a shootng star... which landed in the studio where ALL the Ultraman goodnesses are made. The next thing the sisters knew, monsters from ''Ultraman'' series were running amok in the whole town. And now it is up to the three girls to fight alongside Ultraman to rid the monsters once and for all!... And boy isn't Tsukiko thrilled!
- In episode 35 of Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, the Punishment Sailor Sisters Yukiyo and Tsukiyo Yamabuki need help in saving their school from Kamaitachi, and get help from Tsuruhime. Gee. They look familiar, don't they?
- Culture Clash: The sister's costumes seem to be a direct "East meets West" example: short kimonos, headbands, and ninja-style vambraces from the East meets black heeled shoes and cheerleader-style batons from the West.
- Eastern Zodiac: They each have a physical form, and are charged with guarding their respective years. Most of them didn't come out until near the Grand Finale.
- Finishing Move: Shushu-final, a combind beam attack from the sisters' Red Batons.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: Due to the work done by Ep.32's Monster of the Week, Mr. Yamabuki's soul ended up trapped in in Hanako's body. And just things could't get any worse, the monster struck again and Mr. Yamabuki was forced to... surprise surprise... TRANSFORM in the body of his youngest daughter into the girl's alter-ego! Fortunately, Fried Chicken Man saved the day by wiping out the man's memory of this shocking experience just before he returned to his own body, hence just saving the girls from being turned into roast chickens. Phew!
- Hypnotic Eyes: Neko-hime has these.
- In the Name of the Moon:Yukiko: The maidens who risk their lives to fight...
Tsukiko: ...the sisters who struggles agains the wind...
Hanako: ...and the girls who bloom and wither with the flowers!
Yukiko: Yuugen Jikkou Sisters...
All Together: ...Shushutorian!
- Kirk Summation: Yukiko delivers this to the sisters' defeated foes.
- Large Ham: Otori-sama, and Fried Chicken Man occasionally.
- Magical Girl Warriors: One of the rare examples of Japanese-themed ones. That explains all the Kabuki Sounds found frequently in the opening theme and sometimes in he show.
- Monster of the Week
- Ninja: Although not themselves, the sisters' costumes and movesets do resemble a little of those of a real one (OK, kunōichi, or at least, how a kunōichi is portrayed in pop culture).
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The three camera boys: Kana, Aragi, and Shinoyama got their names on three real-life photographers.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Lampshaded. All three sisters' visages in their Magical Girl mode is just a made-up version of their civilian faces. And unlike all the previous Magical Girl titles of the Toei Fushigi Comedy Series, they are not wearing any masks. And yet, the three camera boys have to actually take photos of their Transformation Sequence to actually figure out their real identities.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Fried Chicken Man
- Spell My Name With Lots of Ss: If this show's ever gonna be subbed, is it Shushutorian or Chouchoutrian?
- Transformation Trinket
- Verbal Tic: Fried Chicken Man with his "-koke" or "-otori" in many sentences.