Dumbo's Circus was a live-action/puppet show that aired on the Disney Channel. It premiered in 1985 and ran for 113 episodes, with reruns continuing until 1997. The main characters were portrayed by animatronic puppets created by Ken Korsse who also remembered for his work on Disney's Haunted Mansion and The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. It was a companion show to Welcome To Pooh Corner, which had similar characters and production techniques.
In the show Dumbo, the titular elephant from Disney's 1941 classic is now grown and runs his own circus. No other characters from the film appeared, in their place was a cast of original anthropomorphic animal characters, who perform in the circus and help Dumbo run it: Lionel the lion, Lilli; a cat, Sebastian; also a cat, Fair Dinkum; a koala, QT; an orangutan, and Barnaby; a dog.
This show provides examples of:
- Cat Girl: Lilli
- Chroma Key: The backgrounds for a lot of the outdoor scenes are this.
- Clown Car: The circus wagon
- Dumb Muscle: Q.T.
- Ear Wings: It's Dumbo, what do you expect!
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: Most of the cast.
- Heavy Sleeper: Sebastian
- National Animal Stereotypes: Fair Dinkum (his brother Rinkum and his sister Matilda, too) is a koala from Australia.
- Pale Females, Dark Males: The two cats Lilli and Sebastian, respectively.
- Messy Male, Fancy Female: Applies to them as well.
- Stage Magician: Barnaby
- Stock Animal Diet: Q.T. loves bananas, Dumbo likes peanuts and Fair Dinkum enjoys eucalyptus leaves.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Lionel for Timothy Mouse, from the movie.