House Music: The Louds decide to form a family band for the talent show at the Family Fun Fair, but Luna loses sight of what's important when she learns that her idol, Mick Swagger, will be there.
A Novel Idea: While Dad takes his daughters to his workplace for "Take Your Daughter to Work Day", Mom takes Lincoln to her dental office.
- An Aesop: The most important thing of performing is who's with you and how much they desire to perform with you.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Dad, and later Mom, when they join the band.Lisa: Heaven help us. It is contagious...
- Breaking Old Trends: This is the first episode where Lincoln doesnt speak to the viewer once.
- A Day in the Limelight: Luna is the star of this episode.
- Dramatic Drop: Dad drops his cowbell when Luna kicks him out of the band.
- Fainting: Luna and her father do this at the end when they find out that the bearded stranger she talked to was really Mick Swagger in disguise.
- Gasshole: Inverted. At several points in the episode, whenever a character bends over, Luan will use a whoopee cushion. The first two times draw the ire of the ones who bend over.
- It hits Lori close to home in particular because she really does have that problem, although she won't admit it.
- Get Out!: Lunas meddling with making the family band perfect ends up causing her to kick Dad out.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Dad has heart underwear showing though a rip in his band pants.
- Hidden Depths: Lincoln can play the cello and is the only siblings who Luna compliments for it.
- Hypocrite: Luna stresses to her siblings that the important thing about being in a band is to have fun, not to be the best, only to go back on her word when she finds out that Mick Swagger will be at the show.
- Irony: Lynn Sr. was kicked out of his first band, a metal band, for playing the cowbell. However, one of the most famous metal songs of all time, "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult, prominently features the cowbell (which was NOT played by someone named Gene Frenkle).
- Jerkass Realization: Luna, after being reminded of Mick Swagger's advice, has one when she realizes that the last time she had fun playing music was when she was playing with her family.
- Kick the Dog: Luna kicking her own father out of the band.
- Literal-Minded: Leni, as usual:Leni: Backup, backup, backup!
Luna: No no no no. Leni, you don't actually sing the words "Backup". You sing what's on the page.
Leni: Oh. Got it! What's on the page! What's on the page! What's on the page!
- Nighthawks Shot: The establishing shot of the diner.
- No, You:Luna: You're all out of my band!Lincoln: No, you're out of our band!
- Out of Focus: Lincoln has less screentime than Luna in this episode.
- Overly Long Gag: Dad's cowbell antics.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Mick Swagger's disguise is a bit obvious.
- Start My Own: When Luna kicks her siblings out of the band, they decide to form their own band and compete against her at the show.
- Walking Spoiler: The stranger from the diner is actually Mick Swagger in disguise.
"A Novel Idea"
- Cement Shoes: Lincoln ends up with a pair by the end of his trip through the construction site.
- Construction Zone Calamity: Lincoln's chase to retrieve Mom's notebook eventually takes him through one of these.
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode focuses on Lincoln and his mother's relationship.
- Disguised in Drag: At the beginning, Lincoln dresses as a girl in attempt to join his sisters at Dad's office.
- Fiendish Fish: Discussed when Lincoln pretends the fish in the dentist's office is a savage beast to pass the time.
- Given Name Reveal: Mrs. Loud's first name is revealed to be Rita.
- Pet the Dog: When the rest of the family returns home, Lori, surprisingly, pities Lincoln and Mom for seemingly having such a boring time.
- P.O.V. Cam: Occurs briefly during Lincoln's fake jewel heist, as he is "targeting" the giant tooth ornament on the window.
- Rule of Three: Lincoln's attempts to have fun. First he pretends to be an astronaut; second he acts out a jewel heist; finally, he acts like a hunter when feeding Fisher.
- Shout-Out: When feeding Fisher, Lincoln does an imitation of the late Steve Irwin.
- "Take Your Child to Work Day" Plot: The episode starts with Lynn Sr. taking Lincoln's sisters to his office for "Take Your Daughter to Work Day". When Lincoln is unable to come due to being the only boy in the Loud family, Rita takes him to her dental office.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Although Mom's notebook is eventually destroyed, it turns out that she'd been having a severe case of writer's block with the story; and Lincoln telling her what happened gives her new inspiration for a better novel. They then cap things off by re-enacting his adventure on their way home.
- Vocal Evolution: Lincoln's voice sounds a bit lower due to his voice actor, Grant Palmer, going through puberty.
- Write Who You Know: As it turns out, this is how Mom got ideas for her novel-in-progress. At first with her own experiences, and then with Lincoln after he tells her what happened by the end of the episode.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Lincoln says as much when he sees that the company his dad works at is right across from the street from where he is, in response to being able to see the crazy antics his sisters get to partake in over there while he has to make do with his imagination at the dentist office.