Masami's mother Yuki shows up, and won't stop hounding Nicole until she agrees to fight her.
- Acquainted with Emergency Services: Nicole foils a bank robbery while bring her kids to school. Donut Cop immediately recognizes her, and only responds by asking her (by name) to return the money she forgot to drop off.
- Art Shift:
- The flashback to Nicole and Yuki's childhood looks like manga panels, color included, and the art style resembles early Dragonball.
- During Yuki and Nicole's rematch, they're rendered in a detailed, flashy style where both are more humanoid. Their kids are rendered in a Super-Deformed style, similar to anime for very young children. This segment was guest-animated by Studio 4°C.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: When Nicole talks about the things Yuki has, she mentions butlers, ponies, and pony butlers.
- Chekhov's Skill: During Masami's narration of Yuki and Nicole's training, we see them karate-chop a wooden board together. It seems like a standard part of a training montage, until the kids are trapped by rubble and the rivals team up to split a girder in half.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Yuki.
- Face Fault: Gumball, Darwin, and Anais does it when Masami recommended letting the fight go out of fear of being annihilated in the way.
- Hartman Hips: Lampshaded in this episode. One of the first things Yūki does after she and Nicole cross paths is comment on how Nicole's butt has grown quite big.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Yuki reveals she's able to do this after years of training during her fight against Nicole.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Nicole puts up with Yuki's harassment, which her kids find so baffling they spend the next school day wondering why until Masami explains their past.
- Panty Shot: When Nicole is jumping off one car to another with her kids, she has her panties exposed for exactly one frame (right before landing on Hot Dog Guy's car).
- Pass the Popcorn: Masami pulls out a bucket of popcorn and offers it to Gumball, Anais, and Darwin after admitting she realized she'd "get annihilated trying" to stop the fight between Nichole and Yuki.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Since Yuki's husband owns Nicole's workplace, she's able to harass her with impunity for refusing to fight. After that fails, Nicole acquiesces under the threat of being fired and having her house foreclosed on.
- Sempai/Kohai: While Yuki and Nicole were martial arts students, Yuki was the sempai, and Nicole was the kohai (Masami even uses and translates the latter term).
- "Which school taught you? Was it Hokuto? Was it Konoha? Or was it... Mr. Miyagi?"
- The manga-style flashback to Nicole and Yuki's training is a direct reference to Son Goku and Krillin training under Master Roshi for the Tenkaichi Budokai. Said flashback even ends with the Elmore Kumite, which is just as outlandish as the aforementioned tournament.
- One of the contestants for the Elmore Kumite is Master Onion, another is a Rock Golem, and another is King Koopa in an eye mask.
- When the kids are trapped by a steel girder, which is too heavy to lift, Nicole's answer is to split it in half instead, similar to Mr. Miyagi splitting the wooden beam crushing Sato in The Karate Kid Part II.
- Sore Loser: Yuki was so offended that her underclassman beat her that she left the country to train for years before insisting on a rematch. After losing to Nicole again, she refuses Nicole's wish to be friends again until their kids are in danger.
- Sudden Eye Colour: Nicole and Yuki normally have iris-less black eyes and pseudo-Black Bead Eyes, respectively. During their fight, the Art Shift gives Yuki Supernatural Gold Eyes and Nicole Purple Eyes.
- Stylistic Suck: During the rematch, Masami and the Watterson kids have very choppy animation, contrast with how their mothers are animated. All of them, though, have deliberately terrible lip-syncing in reference to low quality anime dubs.
- Taught by Experience: As children, Nicole and Yuki fought each other, Yuki had the advantage, and Nicole only won thanks to a freak feat of strength and determination. Since then, Nicole gave up martial arts while Yuki dedicated all her time to them. They have a rematch and Nicole wins much more easily. Yuki is baffled, causing Nicole to explain her power came from necessity, not training.Nicole: I have been through the most grueling training on the planet.
Yuki: Which school taught you? Was it Hokuto? Was it Konoha? Or was it... Mr. Miyagi?
Nicole: No, it was the school of life. I have raised three kids... and one husband.