In prison, Jamie discovers that an old foe has become the warden and now has the power to make his life a living hell. Over the years, Claire and Frank both put their best foot forward to share a harmonious marriage, but an uninvited guest shatters this illusion, bringing their differences to light.
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: When Frank asks Claire if she would've forgotten Jamie in time if it weren't for Brianna, Claire gives him a definite 'no'.
- Claire: "That amount of time doesn't exist."
- Beware the Nice Ones: Claire makes her anger very clear to Frank when he invites his mistress into their home during Claire's graduation party, and later when he voices his intention to move to England with said mistress and take Brianna with him.
- Gilded Cage: Their marriage has become a metaphorical one for Claire and Frank.
- Happy Marriage Charade: Both Claire and Frank pretend that their marriage is a happy one, for Brianna's sake.
- Hope Spot: For Jamie, when Duncan Kerr tells him of a 'White Witch' who is searching for a brave MacKenzie. Jamie believes he might be referring to Claire and travels to the Silkie's Isle in an attempt to find her. Unfortunately Claire is not there, and Jamie's disappointment is so painful that he asks Lord John to kill him.
- Killed Off for Real: Frank, in a car accident near the end of the episode.
- Marriage of Convenience: Claire and Frank's marriage has become this, as they agreed to live separate lives while remaining married to one another.
- The Medic: There's a short moment near the end of Claire in her doctor role in the hospital, comforting a patient's husband.
- Single Tear: Lord John cries a single tear after Jamie brutally rejects his romantic advances.
- Spared by the Adaptation: This episode reveals that Murtagh did not die at Culloden, but was captured and imprisoned in Ardsmuir.
- Time Skip: Claire's scenes take place over a period of eleven years. Her first scene in this episode occurs around seven years after her last scene in the previous episode. Jamie's scenes take place three years after his capture by the English in "Surrender".
- Tranquil Fury: Jamie when Lord John makes a move on him.
- Trauma Button: John's touching his hand is one for Jamie, as it causes him to recall his rape and torture at Randall's hands. It's no wonder he reacts badly to it.
- Your Cheating Heart: Frank has been seeing other women despite being married to Claire. Justified, as Claire agreed to it as she is emotionally unavailable to him.